1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome both old friends and new to the all new Walt Disney Secrets :-D Please take a moment to say hi

Forgive me DCL

Discussion in 'Disney Cruise Line' started by DisneyFreak, Feb 4, 2010.

1. DisneyFreak

DisneyFreak Serious Forum Regular

Okay, the DW and I have decided we need another cruise fast, however, we will not be able to afford DCL until at least Jan/Feb 2011 so we are going to try another cruise line for the first time. <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>
    <o:p></o:p>
    I have heard and read many good things about RCCL so I think we are going to try them. I am looking at 3-night cruises and one that caught my eye was Majesty of the Seas out of <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:smarttags" /><st1:City w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">Miami</st1:place></st1:City>. I am also looking at a June 2010 sale date.<o:p></o:p>
    Has anyone been on this ship or done any cruise with RCCL? Does anyone have any advice, tips, etc?<o:p></o:p>
    I am a little nervous just for the fact that I may be spoiled by DCL and be disappointed with another cruise line. :unsure:<?xml:namespace prefix = v ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:vml" /><v:shapetype id=_x0000_t75 stroked="f" filled="f" path="m@4@5l@4@11@9@11@9@5xe" o:preferrelative="t" o:spt="75" coordsize="21600,21600"><v:stroke joinstyle="miter"></v:stroke><v:formulas><v:f eqn="if lineDrawn pixelLineWidth 0"></v:f><v:f eqn="sum @0 1 0"></v:f><v:f eqn="sum 0 0 @1"></v:f><v:f eqn="prod @2 1 2"></v:f><v:f eqn="prod @3 21600 pixelWidth"></v:f><v:f eqn="prod @3 21600 pixelHeight"></v:f><v:f eqn="sum @0 0 1"></v:f><v:f eqn="prod @6 1 2"></v:f><v:f eqn="prod @7 21600 pixelWidth"></v:f><v:f eqn="sum @8 21600 0"></v:f><v:f eqn="prod @7 21600 pixelHeight"></v:f><v:f eqn="sum @10 21600 0"></v:f></v:formulas><v:path o:connecttype="rect" gradientshapeok="t" o:extrusionok="f"></v:path><o:lock aspectratio="t" v:ext="edit"></o:lock></v:shapetype> I think the main concern is the staff aboard another cruise. We have always enjoyed the staff on the Wonder & Magic. They really make a difference.<o:p></o:p>
  2. Slowhand

Slowhand Cruise Director Forum Host

Trying another cruise line can`t do any harm, if only to compare it with DCL.
    We`ve only cruised with DCL so we haven`t got any comparison to work to.
    BUT, having done a 3 day cruise on the DCL Wonder, I felt as though it was too short. It seemed as though no sooner had we boarded than it was time to disembark.
    This in itself may make you not rate another cruise line as favourably when compared with the longer cruises you have done with DCL.
  3. daveann

daveann Addicted to Mickey

we have done a rccl on vision of the seas round the carribean for 14 days and really enjoyed it. the onlything we had problems with was the food being english sothis wont affect you it was very much catered for the american pallet and my inlaws who cruise alot usually 2 a year said they were very disappointed in the food.
    we are going on p and o's new ship azura in agust and i cant wait :)
  4. DisneyFreak

DisneyFreak Serious Forum Regular

I thought about that. I know when we took our first cruise ever back in 2002 on the Wonder (4-night) we felt like it was too short but we had never cruised before so we didn't know how we were going to like it. I feel the same way now with taking another cruise line.
  5. catrancher

catrancher Assistant Cruise Director Forum Host

My DW and I also have only cruised DCL. We've thought about trying other cruise lines but never been able to work up the nerve to go through with it. Always afraid that after DCL we'd be disappointed. This was reinforced to us by a friend of ours who considers himself to be a "professional cruiser". He's cruised DCL and just about every other cruise line there is. His considered opinion is that DCL is the best. Staterooms are supposedly about 25% larger on DCL than other lines and the service on DCL goes without saying.

Not to say that this is all correct, but based on the limited experience we've had, I'm prepared to accept it all as fact and stay with DCL. :yes:

However, I like Slowhand, agree that a 3 or 4 day cruise is just too short! For us, it would have to be 5 days at a minimum. And I only say 5 days so that we could possibly avail ourselves of the cruises that are being offered on the new Disney Dream. If it weren't for the Dream, I'd probably still insist on 7 days.

Tom :)macwave:... who goes with what he knows!)
  6. Tink

Tink Cead Mille Failte! Staff Member Administrator

We've cruised with NCL and Holland America through Olivia.

We LOVED one of the NCL cruises, and didn't like one of the others (on the Spirit) so much.

LOVED, LOVED, LOVED the atmosphere of the Olivia sponsored cruise, and the crew of the Westerndam, but NOT the ship.

We really enjoy the larger ships of Norwegian. The staff are quite nice, and the food is usually very good. The smaller Spirit was a disappointment.

So, all that to say, I'd definitely try the RCCL. :yes: It's great to have an experience on other cruise lines. You'll probably find, as we have, that each line has some things to recommend it, and some things that aren't so great.

We actually found the majority of the crew on the Norwegian line to be better at what they did, and friendlier than the DCL crew, with the exception of the dining staff who were absolutely incredible on DCL.

The dining staff on Westerndam? Well, most were great but there was one who was so nasty, we took his photo and turned him in at the guest services desk! :eek:

Live! Experience new things! :yes:
  7. gwennie81

gwennie81 Earning my ears

I've cruised Holland America (the only cruise I've ever taken) but I thought it was fabulous, despite the rough weather we ran into. Super-nice accomodations, delicious food. The ports we went to were Key West, Belize, Guatemala, and Cozumel (out of Tampa).

I've been antsy for a vaca and was looking at a Royal Caribbean last night, just a shorty 3-day out of Port Canaveral to the Bahamas. And then friends typed and said they were thinking about coming down the end of this month so...maybe April or May I would cruise...
  8. Tink

Tink Cead Mille Failte! Staff Member Administrator

What Holland America ship were you on , Gwennie?
  9. Tinker

Tinker Earning my ears

Another one here that has thought about other cruises, but am afraid I'd be disappointed . Especially if we were docked at the port at the same time and I saw the Magic, I'd shed tears . :lol:
    I agree with Slowhand and Tom , I've done the 3 night DCl and never again , way too short .