1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome both old friends and new to the all new Walt Disney Secrets :-D Please take a moment to say hi

Fort wilderness campground updates

Discussion in 'Resorts, Hotels, DVC, Villas' started by eeyoreguy, Aug 26, 2008.

1. eeyoreguy

eeyoreguy Earning my ears

Changes are underway at Disney's Fort Wilderness Resort and Campground, the first such major improvements since this area opened 37 years ago.

Among the plans are a dog park, scaled down water park, internet access and cable TV throughout the campground, larger pads for today's RV's and an upgraded electric cart system. Also being addressed is the problem with proliferating plant species which are not indigenous to the area.

While Fort Wilderness does have three Wi-Fi hot spots as well as access from the Cabins, the same is not true for the campsites. The planned addition of both cable and internet access is being widely praised by those who camp at this resort.

The Meadows pool area will see a major overhaul with the addition of a a splash zone and water slide. Disney's first water park, River Country, which has been closed, is adjacent to this area. While the plans do not include reopening that park, there is discussion to incorporate some of the more iconic elements of River Country into this new themed pool area. One such feature being looked at is River Country's water tower.

The expanded campsites which are being built are expected to rent from $66 to $116 a night, varying by season and will also feature grills and picnic tables.

Jean Gallagher, General Manager of Disney's Wilderness Lodge and Fort Wilderness stated "The fort is a treasure at Walt Disney World. There really is so much history with the success of Walt Disney World that stems back to Fort Wilderness. And because of the nature of this property, and the theming, we really haven't done a lot of changes. ... We have not made a lot of investment from a site perspective in the 37 years we've been open. So this opportunity to meet what our guests are asking for, and how the industry has changed, this is more than we could expect."

While the changes are being welcomed and are considered long overdue, Linda Profaizer, president and chief executive officer of the National Association of RV Parks & Campgrounds speculated that the campsite pad expansion may be happening at a time when the trend of oversize campers may be ending in response to current gas prices.

Disney's CEO Bob Iger previously commented "We have a big RV park in Orlando, and I would think that they would be hit the hardest, because it's pretty expensive to fill up a tank in one of those babies. Those parks have been completely full. And there's demand going forward from a bookings perspective."

2. Tink

Tink Cead Mille Failte! Staff Member Administrator

Wow! It's been along time since I've been camping. Those rates per night are pretty shocking to me!

I've had any number of folks tell me what a wonderful experience it is to camp at Ft.Wilderness. It's the only place in WDW where you can bring your dogs, too. :yes:

I think the updates sound wonderful and it seems about time that they've added some newness to this resort area. :yes:

I've never done it, but I've heard that driving through the camping area at Christmas time is really neat as all the campers have their areas decorated. :yes:

3. uscwest

uscwest Senior Cast Member

I'm thinking the same thing Tink. Those seem like awfully high prices to pay for camping.

4. eeyoreguy

eeyoreguy Earning my ears

maybe but having stayed there its not just any old campground especially not at christmas with all the decorations

5. Rosie0610

Rosie0610 Imagineer

We are staying for the 1st time next Easter. My father has pulled a trailer to Florida every year for the past 28 years! Last Easter he paid upwards of $80 in the St Petersburg area and didn't have beach access and said it wasn't worth the money. Normally he can get a place somewhere in the range of $60.

So he said we will try WDW this year since it'll be about $90/night and he paid $82 for a not so great place last year. He said he's always wanted to try FW and now that he has a grandson it's his opportunity! :)

I'll report back next April!!!