1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome both old friends and new to the all new Walt Disney Secrets :-D Please take a moment to say hi

Fort wilderness campground

Discussion in 'Resorts, Hotels, DVC, Villas' started by disney1sttimer, Aug 6, 2008.

1. disney1sttimer

disney1sttimer Earning my ears

What actually is this? is it a set of fields or a forest where people can camp or what?
  2. uscwest

uscwest Senior Cast Member

It is like a forest where you can set up tents, arrive in trailers or RVs. There are also some cabins available.
  3. Tink

Tink Cead Mille Failte! Staff Member Administrator

It is a camping ground. :yes: There are improved camping areas (electricity on some) for RVs and tent camping. There are also cabins to rent (although they aren't "true" cabins). It's the only place on WDW that you can stay with your non-service dog, too. :yes:

I've only ever visited there, never camped (be real honey, this is me we're talking about) but it seems very nice! :yes:
  4. Johnie

Johnie Budget Queen Forum Host

One of Alysia's friends from here was staying at the cabins when we were there last year. We took her home one night. The cabins are very cute! It was near the holidays and lots of people had decorated for Christmas including putting decorations on the golf carts you can rent.

Disney made the resort a moderate but haven't changed the price. I'm hoping they do lower the price, I would like to stay there.
  5. Dawn

Dawn carpe diem-ing Forum Host

What's it like to camp out in a tent there? I always imagine the heat and humidity would melt me inside a tent.
  6. Grammiepo

Grammiepo Daisy Inspector

We camped in Oct, way back when and it was great. I would do it again if I could get off the air mattress, as it is I think FW is the best place to stay at Disney, we often rent a cabin now, I don't care for the lodge rooms they are too small.
  7. Dawn

Dawn carpe diem-ing Forum Host

What about bugs? Don't you get all bitten up each evening?
  8. Grammiepo

Grammiepo Daisy Inspector

No bugs, Disney does a great job, never even seen snakes there, wish I could say the same for my timeshare resort.
  9. Taja

Taja Earning my ears

BevW has stayed there in an RV. She's on vacation now--not Disney!--but she'll probably respond when she returns.

There are various "loops" set up at Fort Wilderness for tent and RV camping. There are shower blocks, barbeque facilities, places for kids to play and other fun stuff. There also is a general store (prices higher more limited selection than off site grocery stores) for additional provisions, if one doesn't have transportation offsite.

I've never stayed there, but I've never camped (okay, Girl Scout camp once and I failed that!) or traveled in an RV, but it looks like it could be fun! :)
  10. lisaw

lisaw Serious Forum Regular

I love it over there although have never stayed. When we were going to the Hoop De Doo last October the bus ride was great fun looking at how people had decorated everything for Halloween :)