1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome both old friends and new to the all new Walt Disney Secrets :-D Please take a moment to say hi

Free Dining at Walt Disney World Expected to be Extended

Discussion in 'Restaurants, Dining, Dining Plans' started by Wendy, Jul 15, 2013.

1. Wendy

Wendy A hui hou kakou makuakane Staff Member Administrator

It sounds like Disney will be extending their free dining offer, the new dates are expected to go on sale on the 1st August and will be for a variety of dates in October, November and December.
  2. Oreo

Oreo Addicted to Mickey

Hmmm!

Goes with what I was saying in the Universal thread.

Not sure what to think about it to be honest.
  3. Wendy

I'd like them to stop doing it, but it's not likely to happen until the economy picks up a lot :sigh:
  4. Oreo

Oreo Addicted to Mickey

Any reason why you'd like to see it stopped?
  5. Wendy

I think the quality and service have reduced tenfold, admittedly it's not as bad now as it was when it first started because the gratuity is no longer included in the price. The servers then weren't interested in you unless you were on the dining plan and they got you to choose the dearest thing on the menu because the more you spent the higher their gratuity. Since the start of free dining we hardly eat on site anymore, the menus are getting smaller and smaller and all the good food has been taken off and replaced by cheaper meals.

I completely understand people taking advantage of it and good on them, but I think there should be a separate menu for the dining plan. People that don't use the plan are paying over the top prices now for food that isn't as good as it used to be and in a way, it is these people that are subsidising free dining.

I also miss being able to walk up to a restaurant, look at the menu and then go in for a table - those were the days :sigh:
  6. Slowhand

Slowhand Cruise Director Forum Host

Those comments echo my thoughts entirely Wendy...couldn`t have put it better myself.
    Many of the WDW servers we know also regret the situation nowadays.

I was particularly amazed on our recent trip about just how much less expensive it was to dine off-site.
    I knew that it was the case, but the gap seems to have got even wider than when we went last year, and we ate at some really nice places off-site many times.
  7. Wendy

Terry, the only place we are eating onsite during our whole trip is at Be our Guest and that's because I really want to.

We were going to eat at YSH but the menu is so small now and pricey! We tend to eat offsite and often decide on the day where we want to go, none of this booking months in advance business :lol:
  8. Slowhand

Slowhand Cruise Director Forum Host

I really enjoyed BOG though Wendy, if only for the pleasure of being able to enjoy a glass [or two!] actually in the park.
    Our mutual friend gave me the name of a server who works there and she took really good care of us.

This time we only ate on site during the time when we were staying at the GF [apart from our first and last nights when as usual we went to the YSH], and this was mainly so that we could say "Hello" to our server friends.....its a bit of a ritual now.
  9. Tink

Tink Cead Mille Failte! Staff Member Administrator

As you both know, I completely agree. I honestly am saddened at the significant change in the dining experience between then and now. :(