1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome both old friends and new to the all new Walt Disney Secrets :-D Please take a moment to say hi

freezing meals

Discussion in 'Other Recipes' started by Shellyamc, Jan 6, 2009.

1. Taja

Taja Earning my ears

I used to do something similar, but I cooked three weekends and had one or two weekends off while enjoying the fruits of my previous labour! I typically had the oven, slow cooker and counter-top oven going simultaneously! :lol: It was almost impossible to walk in the front door after a 10-hour work day and have a meal for four people ready in 30 minutes. Although I'm the only one who professed to being a picky eater, everyone was picky to some extent. The stuff Rachel Ray prepares on her 30-minute meals show wouldn't have gone over very well! :rolleyes:

I used to portion and freeze roast beef (pre-sliced for hot or cold meals), some with gravy, some without, beef burgundy, beef stew, sweet & sour meatballs--are you seeing a theme here? The men in our family were very beef oriented! :lol: Then all I had to was make the sides and heat the frozen items.

Chocolate chip cookies and brownies also freeze well, if you want to make some treats ahead. I used to wrap individual portions, then everyone could thaw what they wanted during the day. :thumbsup:

2. mumof2

mumof2 Serious Forum Regular

When I'm making stews or casseroles I'll put a portion in the freezer for DH to take to work, they're usually fine as far as I know! I also freeze tomato based pasta sauces, mashed swede, vegetable soups which I can then just reheat.

I don't now if you eat casseroles but if you do why not just make a little extra each time so you can freeze the extra. The tomato sauces are good as you can either reheat from frozen or thaw, whichever you prefer. Meat divided into portions is good too - you can stock up before baby arrives and just thaw them when you need to use them.

3. Shellyamc

Shellyamc Serious Forum Regular

All very good ideas!!! I have started a list of things I could get working on now :yes: Now I just have to freeze them and not eat them :unsure:

I just remember living on quite a bit of junk when Katelyn was born (Mom and Dad bringing over pizza etc.), and with baby #2 with fat x2 I don't want to get into that again.

This stuff all sounds good though..I am going to give it a shot.

4. mumof2

ooh, you can freeze cooked rice too. Thaw it and it reheats in the microwave. :thumbsup:

5. Figment

Figment Imagineer

I haven't any freezing advice that everyone else has already mentioned...but I do have a suggestion should you not get everything accomplished that you'd like to. I am a happy customer of Schwans. They deliver right to your door every 2 weeks, and I am very fond of many of their products. I don't buy very much...maybe $40-50 each visit...and there are times I don't order anything. My Schwan's man is a sweetie and never pressures me about ordering. They are switching a lot of their products to pre-order only, but you can do it online the day before they're due to visit. I've had a few disappointments, but for the most part, we are quite happy with the quality. :thumbsup:

6. Shellyamc

huh..well that is very interesting information. I see the trucks around, but I never thought to order anything. I think Dh said that they used to get stuff when he was small, but niether of us have any idea what they offer these days. I will really look into that because it would be way easier to get something delivered to the house then to have to go out and find it.

Thanks! :hug2:

7. Johnie

Johnie Budget Queen Forum Host

Everyone I have ever heard that has used Shwann's loves them!

8. foreverducky

foreverducky Addicted to Mickey

I think Schwan is super duper expensive.

9. Shellyamc

Honestly looking into it for a few minutes, the price isn't so bad. I don't know if I would spend the cash on the meals for 1 or 2, but I was looking at the meals under $5 and the prices are pretty darn good. You can get steak, potatoes, and a veggie that serves 8 for around $27. It would cost us around $20 to go to McDonalds and the seak would give us 2 meals and a lunch. I think that is a pretty good deal. Same with lasgana. It serves 8 and comes with bread sticks and a veg for around $23. That works out to about $12 for a dinner for 3. :yes:

10. Figment

Figment Imagineer

I do acknowledge that some things are a bit pricey, but the convenience for me is worth the small extra expense...especially considering the quality.

Marcus LOVES tamales and orders them often when we go out. I've tried many times to find some frozen to keep at home (I've looked at the recipes to make it and was scared off by how labor-intensive they were:unsure: ) He has never been impressed by anything I have bought. Just a few weeks ago, Schwan's started carrying them...he thinks they are fantastic! You get 6 for $8.99...certainly would pay lots more for them at a restaurant. It takes 6 minutes in a microwave steamer I have and he is in heaven.

We also love the Bourbon flat iron steaks...all steaks, etc are individually portioned and sealed...never had any freezer burn. I can cook the from frozen in about 8 minutes on my George Foreman grill.:thumbsup:

There is a new frozen pizza they carry that is BY FAR the best frozen pizza I've ever tasted.:worship: We've been a customer for more than 6 years...it's a wonderful service we highly recommend.

11. Shellyamc

Thank you Thank you :hug2: Dh and I were looking into this and I really think I am going to place an order and get some food in the freezer pretty soon :thumbsup: Oh and Dh believes you because you like Dr. Who and anyone who likes Dr. Who must be very smart indeed :tongue:

12. Johnie

Johnie Budget Queen Forum Host

:tongue: that is as good as any logic I've heard before!

Oh Shelly, I found this online earlier

www.hickoryfarms.com is having a 75% off sale. There is a boneless spiral ham for $20 on there. Use code 849358 for an extra 15% off.

13. Figment

Figment Imagineer

:lol: Must agree about the Doctor! :lol:

I really think you'll be pleased with them. If you have any questions about a particular item, just ask me. If we've ever tried it, I'll give you our opinion. Oh, and btw...I review products over there under the name.TARDIScompanion. :lol:

14. Tink

Tink Cead Mille Failte! Staff Member Administrator

My parents get food items from Schwan's. We've thought about it, but have just never done it. Right now we don't each much other than very lean meat, certain veggies and enough salad to turn us into honorary manatees, so it's not something we'd be doing right away.

Thanks for the info though, Figment! It's good to know someone who can comment on the products. :yes:

15. Shellyamc

I never said Dh was really smart, but he is cute, so we keep him around ;)

Wow!!! Ham for like $17..I will be going to check that out right now!!! :thumbsup:

16. Shellyamc

I will have tons of questions, I'm sure. I think I am going to wait a little longer before putting in our first order, but I know how fast time is going to fly, so I won't wait too long. I'm so excited to have an extra freezer now!!

17. mumof2

ordering in sounds like the perfect solution for you Shelly! :thumbsup: