1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome both old friends and new to the all new Walt Disney Secrets :-D Please take a moment to say hi

Friends went to Disney...... but didn't enjoy it

Discussion in 'Walt Disney World' started by keith, Jun 14, 2012.

1. Mari

Mari Serious Forum Regular

Well, I absolutly LOVE Disney

This last trip, we had a fantastic time and many unexpected, magical moments throughout the trip

We went during one of the busiest times of the year, and I do have to say, had it not been for months of planning and ADRs, probably our experience would have been very different, as the parks were pretty crowded, we met a good amount of rude and unrespectful people, and a few CMs who DID NOT have the Disney magic touch in them ;) yeah, Im talking about YOU in the Germany pavillion! :tongue:

However, we also met wonderful CM's from around the world, we had incredible dining experiences and were always taken care of by one of the Chefs at every restaurant we went to due to Natalia's allergies, we were able to ride everything we wanted, and in general received very good costumer service.

However, it was NO WHERE near as good as past trips, the CMs werent as friendly or as helpful, many seemed tired and fed up, just as Wendy mentioned, we did not get ONE towel animal, 8 nights at the Poly, countless toys, princesses and plush animals and they couldnt come up with a single towel animal?? I honestly thought it was just me thinking the Disney "vibe" wasnt as strong as on past trips since I was pretty sick, and just kept saying I just probably was expecting too much, but coming on here and reading about someone else's experience makes me think that I was probably right.

Still, Disney exceeds other amusement parks and resorts we have been to, and thats why we want to go back, but I feel like the gap is getting shorter, other resorts are getting better and Disney is not
  2. wdwgrandma

wdwgrandma Addicted to Mickey

We often have folks come and ask us about WDW since they know we go so much. I always ask them if they are going to be celebrating anything while they are there. However, I always explain to them that if they want magic they need to make it themselves don't wait for someone else to do it.

Don't hope for an upgrade at your resort and then feel disappointed when you don't get it. Book the room you really want. If you are hoping for a special treat during a meal, order a cake or something and don't wait for WDW to notice - although you might remind them when you check in that little Susie or Billy is celebrating a birthday. Pack special decorations for your room. YOU should make the magic you hope to receive. And then, if something wonderful and magical happens, it will be the icing on the cake!
  3. Mari

Mari Serious Forum Regular

oh!

What Donna wrote made me remember.... I did put on our ADRs that we were celebrating the girls birthdays, both at CRT and Akerhus, it never got mentioned by the CMs... we didnt expect anything to happen, but a few years ago, my niece did get a special placemat at CRT and all the princesses signed it for her birthday...

Im not complaining, I just think if they wont acknowledge celebrations, then they shoudnt let you "add" them when you make adr's... am I making sense at all?
  4. wdwgrandma

wdwgrandma Addicted to Mickey

tons of sense Mari. I just suggest you tell them, then remind them. Put it on your ADR. Then, when you check in at the podium/desk, remind them. Never hurts!
  5. Johnie

Johnie Budget Queen Forum Host

I think you have to remind them when you check in to the resort and when you check in for your ADR's. I know they ask when you book but I swear it doesn't always make it. I make the Magical Express reservations too. I don't know what happens cause I get a confirmation yet I always have to do it at least twice.

The internet has been a wonderful tool to make vacation planning awesome and helps people find the best deals and to clue into special things that you just may have never found on your own. But, it is also a downfall because EVERYONE knows about the special touches.

I remember when I went to WDW for the first time in 1996. WE received a 3D shaped Mickey statuette of butter at table service meals. I haven't seen that in years. The only towel animals I see anymore are the 2 washcloths and the bath towel in a giant Mickey head circle on the bed.
  6. Tink

Tink Cead Mille Failte! Staff Member Administrator

Some of the little special "things" come with location, I do believe. At least that's been my experience. I can't remember the last time I checked into a DVC where there wasn't at least one towel animal. They plump them in unique places sometimes.

The YSH does a beautiful job of birthdays with a card signed by characters, specialty menus, and a flower for the birthday woman. Not sure what they give the birthday man. :D

Narcoosee's? Couldn't have cared less that it was a birthday celebration.

Disney has set it self up for going the extra mile, for doing the extra icing on the cake, for being "just that much better" than the next place. If they want to continue to keep their incredible reputation, then they'll need to reinstate the excellent service that they once had. Their training program for new employees has been reduced (a few years back) and it shows now, without a doubt.

Just because it's "still decent" doesn't make it up to the standards they once set for the industry. That's the drawback to being an old timer. I remember the way things used to be. Today's WDW experience is nothing like it used to be. Doesn't mean people should not go, or stop going, it simply means that the many little "things" and the incredible service is no longer there.

Cleanliness is one of the major differences. The parks used to sparkle. Now, the bathrooms are messy, and there is often litter throughout areas of the parks. It eventually gets cleaned up, but there was a time when the bathrooms and the park grounds were pristine. Trashcans overflow now, tables sit dirty after guests have gone... those sorts of things detract from the overall experience, especially for those of us who have been around since the days of extreme cleanliness and excellent service. :shrug: