1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome both old friends and new to the all new Walt Disney Secrets :-D Please take a moment to say hi

From Dixie Stampede to Flea Market!

Discussion in 'General' started by Isafari, Nov 10, 2009.

1. Isafari

Isafari Wild Animal Expert

Taken from the Orlando Sentinel....

Dolly Parton's old dinner theater, Dixie Stampede, will come to life again as a flea market and massive pizza parlor, celebrating its grand opening on Halloween.

I-4 Flea Market has signed a lease with Tennessee-based Dixie Stampede LLC and is advertising for vendors to fill about 400 stalls in the building on Vineland Avenue near the tourist strip of International Drive.

Tami Valadez, the flea market's general manager, said it will be open seven days a week. Vendors will pay anywhere from $600 to $6,000 a month for their spaces, she said.

Should shoppers get hungry, they can stop for pizza. The entire second floor is getting transformed into a pizza parlor, Valadez said.

2. keith

keith Camera nut Staff Member Administrator Forum Host

yep there are signs all over it saying just that!

I thought they'd sold it to the mall next door :/ but yep, flea market/pizza it is!

3. Kate

Kate Serious Forum Regular

I was surprised the dixie stampede closed down as quickly as it did, it was being built when we went in 2005 and then it had closed down when we went in 2008!
    Im not a big shopper, and the only reason we go to the outlets is so that i can go in the disney and universal shops that are there! Not sure if i would use more of my valuable park time in a flea market!

4. Johnie

Johnie Budget Queen Forum Host

I thought the outlet mall bought the land which was why it closed so quickly??

5. Tink

Tink Cead Mille Failte! Staff Member Administrator

I've been watching the flea market signs for a bit now. How useless is that? What a huge space to devote to more tacky merchandise. :sigh:

Surely there must have been something more useful or fun to do with that property? :unsure:

I don't know for certain, Johnie, but local scuttlebutt is that the place was going broke so they shut it down for that reason.

6. Johnie

Johnie Budget Queen Forum Host

Seriously! That is prime real estate right there I bet!

7. Wendy

Wendy A hui hou kakou makuakane Staff Member Administrator

It might just be a temporary thing until the economy picks up and then they will extend the Mall :unsure:

8. BigThunder

BigThunder a cool thingy

Wow a flea market. And a flea market that could cost $6,000 a month to set up in!? Dang! Going to be swanky, eh? hehe That is prime location tho. And such a pretty building.

Yeah, I'm with Kate, I take time out of WDW to go to the outlets only to hit the Disney character corner & then I'm back in the car. Done. I don't think I'll be hitting a flea market.