1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome both old friends and new to the all new Walt Disney Secrets :-D Please take a moment to say hi

Gay Day, with a side of SWW at WDW

Discussion in 'Trip Reports' started by Tink, Jun 1, 2013.

1. Tink

Tink Cead Mille Failte! Staff Member Administrator

Well, we are here!

We checked in to a two bedroom villa at OKW last night about 6:00 or so. We did our usual "libation" at Gurgling Suitcase once we were checked in. It was HOT and I was still in work clothes. :D

The check in was smooth. We were waited on as soon as we entered. The young man from Australia was kind and knowledgeable and gave a good natured laugh or two. He did make sure to tell us that there would be fireworks over Typhoon Lagoon about midnight as there was a special party there. :D "Yep," I said, "That's where the boys are tonight." He did give me an odd look, but was well trained. :D :D

Our drinks at The Suitcase totaled $18.00 for two "Buds" and one Sprite. There were problems with the kegs and the beer kept coming up foamy. We spent about 30 minutes enjoying our drinks and watching the barkeep get more and more frustrated with the situation.

We are on the second floor. That's always fun to lug all your things, eh? :sigh: The villa is very nice and no problems. The boy was beyond excited when he saw the huge bedroom he and his Da would be sharing. They have the two doubles in there and he thought that was just great.

Not sure what the "boys" are doing today. We are headed, of course to MK if only for a few hours. I'm not wearing red this year, it's simply TOO HOT. I have a new plain white shirt and will drop a strand of red "beads for life" around my neck and call it good. The boys may be going to DHS. The little one has his Jedi Costume all ready to go. We didn't have the heart to tell him he's going to melt if he tries to wear all that regalia, but no matter. Kids are resilient, no?

We stayed in our villa last night (ah, the joys of being a repeat visitor!) and thoroughly enjoyed the supper Herself had packed for us. (I had to work yesterday, but she was off). We had roasted turkey, mash, green beans, stuffing and corn on the cob. Quite a feast, no? :D She packed quite a bit of food and we'll probably do most of our eating from those supplies. At the risk of sounding like a broken record, we just aren't happy with Disney food much anymore so prefer to have our own with us. We'll snack here and there, though.

Not sure how the weekend will play out. We check out Monday, so have a full weekend here.

Will keep you posted and may try to get some photos. We have the huge camera, but it's so heavy I know Herself will not want to carry it into the park.

Thank heaven for cell phone cameras, yes? :D

Take care now. I'm up too early so am off to have another cup of coffee.

Oh, if anyone has any questions, let me know. I'll do my best to answer.
  2. Tink

Re: Gay Day, with a side of SSW at WDW

OK, so apparently there is a mini-elephant in the villa on the third floor directly above us. :unsure: Likes the early morning hours does Mini E...
  3. keith

keith Camera nut Staff Member Administrator Forum Host

oh no sorry to hear about the elephant but excited to hear more about the weekend :D

I do think the "huge" camera should really be taken into the park though ;-) it is a problem with the DSLRs though isn't it? I so much prefer the feel of a proper camera but the weight does make me think twice about taking it sometimes (although the latest canon I got is SO much lighter.... canon rebel sl1)

Anyway looking forward to hearing the rest of the trip! I've never stayed at OKW although always wanted to
  4. Tink

Our villa is on Peninsula Road, the main artery into OKW. It's a nice location. View is of a portion of the golf course, and minus the elephant (who seems to have left with its family :D ) is a very quiet and nice area.

We are close to but not on top of a bus stop which is a key factor. The bus stops are noisy and you can hear the coming and going if you are too close. It's a sprawling resort that lends itself to long and peaceful walks, or bike rides... or if you want livelier, head to the main pool. :yes:

We may do some swimming.

I'll tell Herself that you recommend taking the camera, but I sure don't think it's going to work! I can hear her now, "Oh does he, now? Well, tell our Keith to get over here and carry it for us!" :D :D :D
  5. keith

:rotfl: and a very fair reply that would indeed be :yes: of course if I were there, I would be more than happy to carry it :D
  6. Tink

Oh don't tell her that! She's always on the lookout for a Sherpa! ;) :D
  7. uscwest

uscwest Senior Cast Member

Sounds like a great weekend coming up. We would love to stay at OKW sometime. Do they have elevators?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
  8. Tink

Waiting to get in... image.jpg
  9. Tink

Lost connection until just now. So much for reporting as you go! I'll try a few more photos but may have to wait until we get back to the villa.[,ATTACH]15346[/ATTACH].
    Though these may be of interest to some. I took most of the photos with my phone so they will have to wait until later.

We have done Pirates, Small World, Haunted Mansion, The Train, People Mover, Carousel of Progress, The Little Mermaid, and are now in the Hall of Presidents. Have not been here since 1996!!!!

Very busy park, more so than in previous years. Saw one kilt, two not so cool tshirts and so far, no really cool ones!

See you later!

Attached Files:

10. Tink

OKW only has elevators in a couple of the newer buildings.
  11. keith

So cool to imagine you all there :yes:
  12. Vikki

Vikki Serious Forum Regular

I've decided I'm going to have huge camera days, and tiny camera days this trip.....not sure how well that'll work out though ;)
  13. keith

That's what I tend to do :yes:

I go to the magic kingdom one day and take the full dslr, the next time it'll be nothing but camera phone (or tiny pocketable cam)

being a photo nut I always miss the dslr though
  14. Vikki

I know what you mean. We went away for Ben's birthday the last 2 days and I only took the small camera. Just had a look at them and they cane out really well actually, but it wasn't half as much fun as my big camera, especially at the National Trust park we visited today.
  15. Beccaberry

Beccaberry She's beccalicious! Forum Host

Sounds like you're having a lively day! (Ha! That's the first time I've ever meant to type lively instead of lovely! Though I'm sure it's both!)

What??? No Country Bear Jamboree yet, Miss?!?

Now then, stay hydrated, take loads of photos and let us all live vicariously through you!
  16. Tink

No country bear jamboree this year. It was simply too hot to even think about it!

I am not sure why the photos are posting the way they are but here are a few more anyway. Waiting for the three o' clock parade. image.jpg image.jpg
  17. Tink

Well this is really annoying! I will not post more until I figure out what I am doing wrong. I have not had this problem before.

Anyway. We left after the parade. Just too hot. The boys are still at DHS. They are having fun but had a bit of an issue at their parade. The boy's Da texted that a woman pushed the boy up against a wall and stood in front of him to see the parade. Not a good idea. I am happy we were not there!

More later!
  18. Vikki

I'm just turning my phone round :D
  19. Tink

The grand marshals. Red shirts! image.jpg
  20. Tink

Hmmmm.... Nope that didnt work. :(