1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome both old friends and new to the all new Walt Disney Secrets :-D Please take a moment to say hi

get travellers checks or use cards?

Discussion in 'Walt Disney World' started by disnut, May 5, 2009.

1. disnut

disnut Imagineer

Im just wondering if it's worth getting checks or dollars this time around or just putting everything on a credit card and pay it when we come back?

Has anyone done the math and worked out which is better?
  2. Slowhand

Slowhand Cruise Director Forum Host

I always used to take travellers cheques but nowadays I only take a limited amount of cash [around $500] and put the rest on my cc.
    I find this far more convenient as credit cards are widely accepted even for very small purchases.
    Fortunately I also have a US bank account so I can withdraw cash from the ATM`s if I run short without paying any withdrawal fees and also I don`t have to think about the exchange rate.

The only downside with using your cc as I see it is that the exchange rate varies on a daily basis and you will therefore have to live with the particular exchange rate which applies on the day you use your card.
  3. ukwdwnut

ukwdwnut Director of Recruitment Forum Host

i used to take cash only, then found that there were TC's glad i did coz in 2004 we got robbed of around $2000 luckily nearly all was TC's...but im sure you get a business rate if you use a CC
  4. lisaw

lisaw Serious Forum Regular

We always take travellers cheques mainly because it is easier to keep a track of what we are spending :yes: I buy TC's a bit at a time depending on the exchange rate.
  5. ukwdwnut

defo easier to keep tabs on your spending, whaen its gone its gone but with a CC you can go on forever and a heart attack when you get home lol
  6. lisaw

lisaw Serious Forum Regular

Also I like the feeling of having lots of money to spend each day - only happens on holiday - feels more real with TC's :lol:
  7. ukwdwnut

yeah it does thats true

ive nearly had 2 HA whilst out there 1st trip i used CC's and my visa would go thru after a few days good job i had the MC too HA #1

then what with the robbery HA #2 :lol:
  8. Taja

Taja Earning my ears

Personally, I would take travellers' cheques over use cards. You pay fee to purchase the cards, you frequently pay a fee to use the card (automatically deducted from balance) and you'll pay additional fees (automatically deducted from balance) if you maintain a balance on the card after a specified period. Nice way for the card issuer to make money!

With TCs, you purchase the cheques and spend them like cash. Have to agree that it's also easier to keep track of your spending when using TCs. :thumbsup:
  9. Slowhand

Slowhand Cruise Director Forum Host

That`s true, I do pay a fee for my cc, however I get my money`s worth out of it.
    I [and my DW] get free admission to the exec. lounges at all of the major airports Worldwide, plus they have a concierge service which comes in very handy in sorting out theatre/concert tickets. [I put this to the test recently when they got me tickets to see Eric Clapton next weekend, obtaining the tickets for me within 10 minutes of them going on sale. This was quite an achievement as it was a total sell out in a few hours.]
    There is also free travel insurance, free roadside breakdown cover, 20% discount at loads of restaurants etc.etc. as well as building up my air miles for every £ I spend on the card.

As I pay my account in full at the end of each month then I don`t get charged any interest at all for my purchases so all in all a cc is the best way to go for me.
  10. ukwdwnut

and if you have the black virgin amex card loads of airmiles towards a flight :D
  11. Taja

Taja Earning my ears

Question: Are "use" cards CC/debit cards or the cards issued in lieu of paper TCs? :unsure: I was assuming they are the latter. The ones issued in the US tend to be more expensive than TCs due to the additional fees levied by the issuers.