1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome both old friends and new to the all new Walt Disney Secrets :-D Please take a moment to say hi

getting a new mac?

Discussion in 'Gadgets and Gizmos' started by disneydiva, Jan 18, 2009.

1. disneydiva

disneydiva Earning my ears

now christmas is over we're thinking about getting a new 'puter and the macs have been recommended

I have lots of questions though and probably more as I know the answers to these :lol:

is a laptop or a desktop model better?
    Can I use the same programs I use on my pc?
    is there a minimum model I should look at?
    how different is it for example how easy will it be to find my way back here on a mac?
    anything I should try and buy with it thats needed to make it work?

2. Slowhand

Slowhand Cruise Director Forum Host

Now that`s what I call good timing! :thumbsup:
    I am at your stage right now so I`m looking forward to the replies to this!

3. keith

keith Camera nut Staff Member Administrator Forum Host

I'm in the middle of writing an email on this so I'll copy paste it when done unless catrancher gets here first :lol:

4. keith

ok basic answers first to your specific questions

laptop or desktop, totally depends on your usage. If you're only ever going to plump it on a desk then a desktop is fine and you can perhaps get a larger screen. The iMac is a perfect desktop computer. Silent, fast and neat, an all in one unit
    [​IMG]

However, remember that a laptop will give you all that and the ability to take it into the lounge when its cold in the office in winter or even to orlando with you.

[​IMG]

PC apps CAN be run on a mac, if you buy a cheapy pc compatibility program like this one http://www.vmware.com/products/fusion/ It's brilliant! your normal pc apps will work fast and just as you had them on your pc.

Minimum model.... well all the entry level macs are quite capable. In fact people often say macs are expensive and thats because you can't get a "slow" mac, they start off quite highly specced. (the LOWEST spec will be the mac mini) [​IMG]

How hard? not hard at all :yes: It's *different* thats for sure, but not so much that you'll be flummaxed turning it on or anything. Most people say that the best way to get used to a mac, is forget the PC way you've got used to and just approach it in a common sense "how it should work" kinda way. In other words, it's intuitive as long as you dont think hang on thats different to the pc

Stuff to buy with it, nothing really! It'll come with ilife which provides truly great photo/video editing and much more. I do recommend iwork http://www.apple.com/iwork/ which is the apple version of Microsoft office (but better in my opinion). I think you get a voucher for a discount when you buy a new mac

5. keith

Here's the apple page on switching
    http://www.apple.com/getamac/whymac/

ps I'm really not as biased as I seem :) I use both windows and macosx, unix and others at work. It's just that I really do believe that for "trouble free" computing, the mac experience is very hard to beat :yes:

6. Dawn

Dawn carpe diem-ing Forum Host

*backs out of thread quietly*

7. keith

:taunt:

8. ieuanr

ieuanr Imagineer

Well - since a Mac is just a PC in nice box these days - you may as well get a PC and save a bunch of money! An entry level iMac £780 has a £500 PC inside. They look much better but you can get a much more powerful PC for less money - and you can probably run the Apple software on it - if you really have to.

The biggest Mac news in the last couple of years was that you could now get Windows on your Mac so you could run all the Windows applications.

9. keith

I understand the sentiment but I don't agree with the conclusion :taunt: It's hard, very hard, to run Apple software on a normal pc because you basically have to run a hacked version of the operating system, if it works at all, it won't be a pain free operation.

10. ieuanr

ieuanr Imagineer

Cannot really see why you would want to run it anyway. It's not that good!

Mac's really look nice though!

11. keith

:lol: I think you're trying to wind people up ;) but that's ok!

12. disneydiva

Gentlemen, can I stop you both please

I've had this on another forum too, I'm not asking about buying a pc or a netbook or linux or anything else you may like :yes:

I've had a pc for years in work and know what they do, I've been to the apple store and I like what I see better than what I have. So no telling me I'm stupid for wanting what I want :nono: and no need to defend my choices either :slap:

Now, more mac information please :wiggle:

13. ieuanr

ieuanr Imagineer

You Mac guys take everything so seriously! :taunt:

I can see the attraction with Macs. The reputation Macs have for not playing up is due to the fact that not very many people develop software for them - whereas everyone and his dog is writing dodgy bits of software for the PC. There are very few Mac viruses because there are very few Macs.

There is an awful lot of rubbish talked about Macintoshes though - just as there is with PCs.

Sorry - I did not mean to infer that the Mac was a bad idea - I was just presenting the opposite view.

14. keith

oh I want to reply but I don't want to get shouted at either :lol:

Suffice to say, I truly believe your opinion is probably based on out of date information. There is masses of software for the mac, put it this way, will lack of software be a problem if someone buys a mac? absolutely not.

..but lets go the other way and accept the premise that pcs are dodgy because every man and his dog writes dodgy software for it, I think I'd rather have less software of better quality!

That aside, yeah there's a fair degree of "absolutes" used by mac zealots. "NO virus problems" "NEVER crashes" etc. which isn't true

Nevertheless, I'll stick to this. The mac environment, the hardware/software/shops/support combination will offer a better user experience for the majority of "users" than will a windows system currently.

15. Dawn

Dawn carpe diem-ing Forum Host

So what do you need to look for when buying a mac? For the OP please.

16. disneydiva

THANK YOU DAWN

17. keith

Dawn's a schoolteacher and I sense she was using "THAT Voice" then :yes:

Well there isn't THAT much to watch out for if you're buying new from the apple store. Any of them will work great although the mini is a little old now and less powerful than the others in the ranges

The REALLY REALLY REALLY popular one to buy is the cheapest macbook that they do. That gives you a great portable unit with monitor built in of course for a decent enough price.

My personal, though a little more expensive choice, is the 15" macbook pro. I've had them for many years through many versions and revisions and absolutely swear by them. Granted though, that may be overkill for a first mac.

18. catrancher

catrancher Assistant Cruise Director Forum Host

Keith, I'm late to this party but I'm here! You knew I'd show up. :laugh2:
    I have to agree with your statement 100%. I have been in Information Technology for 40 years now. I use Windows PC's in my work and Mac's at home. For work I support over 6000 installations of Windows. At home, I've been a Mac user and, I might add, on and off developer since they were introduced in 1984. I think the Mac environment does indeed offer a much better and more consistent and satisfying user experience for the vast majority of users.

Now, I think disneydiva was actually looking at the specifics of purchasing a Mac. So, with that, let me take a shot at answering her questions as well as I can:

Depends mostly of your lifestyle and how you want to work with the machine. iMacs and the the higher end of the laptop line (Macbook Pro) will be similar performance wise. So, do you want a computer that you can move around the house or take with you on vacation or to grandma's house? If so, a laptop's the way to go. I have a Macbook Pro. I use it in my basement office most of the time but bring it upstairs and work on weekends. So, for me, portability is paramount. Your mileage may vary.

As Keith already stated, there's a couple of ways you can accomplish this. With today's Intel based Macs, you can set your machine up to dual boot. A Mac side and a Windows side. Boot into one or the other.
    Or, as Keith indicated, you can use something like Parallels. This is what I do on mine. With Parallels, you boot into Mac OS but run Windows in a "Virtual" partition. This means that you would have a window in Mac OS that actually has Windows (XP or Vista) running in it. I use XP still and can testify that the whole thing works a treat.

This is strictly personal opinion but I would look at either the iMacs or the Macbook Pro line. I've always found that anytime I bought something and tried to get the lower end of the line, I ended up wanting the higher end anyway for any one of numerous reasons. I guess I finally learned my lesson several years ago and have bought the upper end ever since. I'm glad I have.

Actually, quite easy. If you buy your Mac from an Apple store, and take your existing PC in with you (you may need an appointment), I believe that an Apple Genius (that's what they call them) will help you move all your data from your old PC onto your new Mac. If you have them do that, one of the things they'll move for you is your bookmarks. After that's done, your new Mac will have all your bookmarks from your old PC so you should be able to come right back here to tell us how marvelously happy you are now with your purchase! :laugh2:

Nothing specific unless you absolutely must have Windows compatibility. Your new Mac will come with the iLife applications (iPhoto, iMovie, iDVD, GarageBand, iTunes, and iWeb). There will also be Safari (the Mac web browser), Mail (your email client), and various other bits and bobs. TextEdit for rudimentary text file editing. If you need more robust applications for word processing or spreadsheets, then you've got basically two choices. There's Microsoft Office for the Mac. This is Word, Excel, and PowerPoint. As native Mac applications.
    Or, there's the Apple iWork suite. iWork has the capability to read MS Windows Office (Work, Excel, etc) documents and can save most documents in a format that you can exchange with Windows users.
    I have both Microsoft Office and iWork on my Mac. I can tell you that I almost never use MS Office anymore since I got the iWork suite. Much like the Mac itself, the iWork suite is quite elegant and capable with none of the bloat that I associate with the Windows applications. It's also significantly less expensive than Micorsoft Office.

I hope this helps answer your questions. Let me close by quoting myself from an earlier thread.

Tom (yes, it's true. You can have my Mac when the old, dead fingers get pried off the keyboard)

19. josh.p.

josh.p. Addicted to Mickey

HANDBAGS LADIES!!! :point: (Just kidding)

20. josh.p.

josh.p. Addicted to Mickey

oooh... and I highly reccomend iWork!!