1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome both old friends and new to the all new Walt Disney Secrets :-D Please take a moment to say hi

Getting Engaged at Walt Disney World

Discussion in 'Disney Weddings/Honeymoons/Anniversaries' started by Wendy, Aug 2, 2013.

1. Wendy

Wendy A hui hou kakou makuakane Staff Member Administrator

I’m after some advice for a friend of mine; he and his girlfriend are planning a trip to WDW sometime next year, probably October time. I’ve told him to join and ask some questions, but you know what some people are like :lol:

Anyway, he has decided he wants to propose to her at Disney :D They both love Disney, so he thinks this would be the ideal place. He’s not sure if a park or resort would be best, but he has to be a little careful because she doesn’t like being in the spotlight, so asking her in a busy restaurant is definitely out, the last thing he wants to do is embarrass her – sensible man :yes: especially if he wants a "yes" :wink:

So ladies, if you were lucky enough to be proposed to at WDW where would you like it to be, any suggestions at all.

If our lovely men out there have any ideas, that would be great to, to see it from a male perspective :D

I thought the Wishing Well at Cinderella Castle would be nice, maybe whilst watching wishes, but I’m not sure you can get to the Wishing Well then :unsure:

What could he do to make it extra romantic, I know he wants it to be really special.

I thought it would be better to propose at the start of the holiday rather than towards the end, they can wear the Just Engaged badges and if they get the photopass they will have the “Just Engaged” borders to put on their photos. It would make a wonderful keepsake.

Any help at all would be really useful :hug2:

2. Faythstar

Faythstar Imagineer

What an amazing fella! I loved the way my husband proposed to me, but if there was any other way he could have done it, I would have wanted it to be at Disney. (At least we had our honeymoon there. :))

I have a few thoughts. Firstly, if there is a country she has always wanted to visit, (say, Italy), Epcot would be a beautiful place to pop the question. But it would really be best if she had some kind of connection to the "country" he did it in.

If she's into characters (like me), he could talk to a castmember and maybe have it set up for her favorite character (like Mickey or someone) get down on one knee and act like they're proposing to her, and while she's laughing, he could tap her on the shoulder and then do it for real! I think that would be precious. But I don't know exactly how crowd shy she is.

Perhaps my favorite idea, if he wants it to be magical but also rather intimate, is if he picked a good spot to watch the fireworks and did it during Wishes. The first time I watched Wishes on my Disney day trip with my now-husband, I was so entranced, it moved me to tears, being surrounded by all the childhood magic that is Disney with the person I loved so much. If they're both as big of Disney fans as we are, I can just imagine her being swept up in everything, and then the proposal pushing it over the edge.

Let us know what he decides!! I love proposals!!

3. Slowhand

Slowhand Cruise Director Forum Host

Ok, I`m not a lady, but I reckon that if the couple were to take a stroll over to the Wedding Pavillion then that would be the perfect location for him to "do the deed"! :yes:

Adjacent to the church there is a rose covered arch where newleyweds have their photo taken with Cinderella`s Castle framed in the background by the arch.
    Furthermore, if there isn`t a wedding taking place at the time, they would have the place to themselves.
    [Must remember what I`ve said the next time that I get married! :lol:]

4. Shellyamc

Shellyamc Serious Forum Regular

Fireworks cruise? What about the beach at the Poly while Wishes is going on?

5. Wendy

Great ideas :D everyone, keep them coming :thanks:

Terry it's good to have a man's perspective, you've set the bar very high so now I'm expecting some ideas from all of our male members :D

6. Watchinherskip

Watchinherskip Better known as "That Guy"

Great ideas! Hey Shelly, perhaps to piggyback on your other posts...how about while on a carriage ride with some wine? At PORFQ

7. Shellyamc

Shellyamc Serious Forum Regular

Yes!!!! Why didn't I think of that ;)

Ask for Fritz the horse, he was beautiful and very nice :lol:

8. Wendy

These are all brilliant suggestions, makes me wish Chris would propose to me at WDW :lol:

Anymore ideas, I'd like to give him lots of suggestions.

Asking from a man's perspective, would you be embarrassed to propose in a very public location :D

9. Britchick

Britchick Serious Forum Regular

I'm still waiting for a proposal lol! :lol:

10. Wendy

I think I might also suggest having a photo shoot at their favourite resort with Randy Chapman and then he can propose to her, they will have the moment captured on film :D

11. Oreo

Oreo Addicted to Mickey

Well it didn't go to plan but I thought you guys like to know.

I was the 'friend' mentioned in the original post. The reason I asked Wendy to post is because my gf sometimes reads this forum and didn't want her to catch on.

My plan was to ask my gf Jess to marry me while away at Disney world in September/October. I had asked her parents permission and had ideas for a ring however this morning and spur of the moment I ask her and she said yes.

I won't bore you with the details, but if you've seen that episode of friends with chandler an Monica it was a bit like that.

I was planning on either on the beach at the poly (until the recent news about not being able to go on there) or stopping at the contemporary for one night (which I may still do as a surprise) I'd even emailed disney however they seemed reluctant to help much :(

It wasn't the grand romantic gesture I was hoping for but she has said yes which is all that matters, and hopefully now I can try for a Disney wedding ;)

Just wanted to say thanks to Wendy for posting for me.

Thanks

Chris

12. keith

keith Camera nut Staff Member Administrator Forum Host

yayayaya congratulations :yes:

Oreo likes this.
  13. MystikPiglit

MystikPiglit Peace, Love and Mickey Mouse

Congratulations !

Oreo likes this.
  14. uscwest

uscwest Senior Cast Member

Congratulations.

Oreo likes this.
  15. Vikki

Vikki Serious Forum Regular

What wonderful news!

Oreo likes this.
  16. Oreo

Oreo Addicted to Mickey

Thanks guys. Hasn't sunk in yet.

It is a shame that I didn't wait for disney but I might think about doing something special on our trip in september.

Thanks again :)

17. keith

keith Camera nut Staff Member Administrator Forum Host

I kinda sorta asked before we went to Disney but then did an official ask at Victoria & Albert... ring was brought over on a silver tray etc. Later we had the wedding at the wedding pavilion, a limo ride around celebration and our dinner at V&A on that day. Followed by Magic Kingdom wedding photo shoot the next morning along with being allowed to turn on the MK lights :)

Tink likes this.
  18. Tink

Tink Cead Mille Failte! Staff Member Administrator

I think it's wonderful that you couldn't wait to ask her!! It's lovely to think of a Disney Proposal, but how much more perfect for you to be so eager for her answer, you couldn't wait, eh? :hug2:

Now, a Disney wedding? THAT'S a fabulous idea! :yes: We'll LOVE helping to plan that! :D :D (Did you know that our Wendy makes incredibly beautiful wedding cakes)? :D :D

19. Tink

Tink Cead Mille Failte! Staff Member Administrator

This is so beautiful, Keith! I remember so well your excitement and sharing of your wedding day with us. :yes: (Care to reprise-with photos)? :D

20. Wendy

Chris that is brilliant news, I am so happy for you and Jess, congratulations :D

I'm glad I was able to help :)