1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome both old friends and new to the all new Walt Disney Secrets :-D Please take a moment to say hi

Golden Corral any good?

Discussion in 'Restaurants, Dining, Dining Plans' started by goofygal, Apr 25, 2009.

1. goofygal

goofygal Imagineer

We've seen this a lot by the road but never tried it :) Is it worth a visit?

If not, what other steak places are good

2. uscwest

uscwest Senior Cast Member

That depends, are you looking for great steak, or are you looking for lots of food relatively cheap? Golden Corral would be at the bottom of my list along with Ponderosa, Ryans and others of that ilk. But lots of Brits, especially, like them.

3. Britchick

Britchick Cast Member

exactly what John said, and i'm a Brit too :tongue:

4. Dizneyblonde

Dizneyblonde Secret's Birthday Fairy!

It's on our list to try in August.

I assume it's a buffet the same as Ponderosa?

5. daveann

daveann Addicted to Mickey

its all to do with personal preference personally i hate the place i really dislike school dinner hall type places but i do know lots who love it but i would honestly rather starve as i say its a personal thing :)

6. Kate

Kate Serious Forum Regular

We really loved it - its something you need to try, if you dont like it then you've not lost anything really

7. Tink

Tink Cead Mille Failte! Staff Member Administrator

If you are going to try a Golden Corral, be sure to stick with the one nearest Disney, on Vine. It's the only one that hasn't had bad health department reports. DO NOT go to the one one west 192. It's in trouble with the inspectors all the time.

I'm with the "don't like it" group, but it is a place where you can surely get filled up for not too much. I think it's about $10-12 per adult now, but you can get a coupon for some off, if you pick up one of those Orlando visitor guide brochures. :yes:

If you want decent steak at a decent price, go to Long Horn. There are several throughout the area, with the newest being on 192 west. It's simple, clean and as our Wendy's DH will attest, you can get chips with your steak! :D

8. ukwdwnut

ukwdwnut Director of Recruitment Forum Host

we went to the one at LBV and it was very good imo

9. Ursula

Ursula Cast Member

I think this... the reason we Brits like it is because the steak there in the USA is so tender, it must be an American thing. You see our steak here in England is deemed good but until you try the American steak/beef you don't realise what cr@p we have been eating. Even the steak at Golden Corral is meltingly tender to us Brits. So for us to be able to get lovely steak like that and at those prices it is a no brainer for us. Well that's my take on it anyways.

10. Tink

Goodness. You must have some chewy steak in the UK if the beef at Golden Corral is tender! :eek:

Helly, you must try a proper steakhouse! (If you haven't already). :hug2: Head to Ruth's Chris or Keith's fave, Charley's. :yes:

11. Steven

Steven Earning my ears

Unlimited corn bread keeps me occupied there and where else can I have a plate with blueberry pie and pizza for breakfast???

12. Ursula

Ursula Cast Member

We went to Ruth Chris in Mexico cos it said USB there and it was delish, But but but and you're gonna kill me.... I hate paying for stuff if I know I can get it cheaper and just as good at Corral. The steak here is like shoe leather sometimes. Our rump steak is awful, always hit and miss as to if it's going to be tender or not and I don't like bashing it to make it tender as it seems to leave it tasteless. We stick to sirlion or fillet here but fillet is so expensive here.

13. Ursula

Ursula Cast Member

The first time I had steak in America I was absolutely stunned.... it was the best steak I'd ever had in my life, you seriously don't know how lucky you are. Pity you can't bring it back to UK cos you have to declare it ;)

14. Tink

At least you've had some decent steak! :yes: :D I can't compare the two (GC and RC's) but if you are happy with it, that's what matters. :yes: :hug2:

15. Tinkfan

Tinkfan Earning my ears

:ouch: we tried a Golden Corral in Brunswick Georgia for the first time when DS was training with the Feds. It was wonderful!! Sooo, I assumed in my ignorance that all chains are created equally, so to our joy on the way home we spotted one in Pennsylvania and eagerly stopped to enjoy our meal. :angel: SO NOT!! It was dirty, disgusting, awfulll!! We were horrified. Out we went and headed to another place, Blechh! lesson learned, they all are different but I imagine that the ones near Disney are kept up better.

16. foreverducky

foreverducky Addicted to Mickey

I'm such a picky eater that I love buffets, as I know I will find something that I can enjoy, even if it's just a salad.

GC has some of the best bourbon chicken. Yes, there was this chinese place that I use to go to in Indiana that had the BEST, but GC is pretty close. I fill up on that as I can never find bourbon chicken. :sigh:

17. Ursula

Ursula Cast Member

We go earlyish as they are putting the trays out fresh and we love being able to get mash and veges and gravy. I guess it's something you have to try to know whether you like it enough to go back or not.

18. Jodie

Jodie Addicted to Mickey

We ate breakfast at two different restaurants last year and were very happy with what we got, much better than Ponderosa. Claire had tea there one day aswell and was happy with her meal.

19. Tink

Well I'll give you that, Jodie! Golden Corral beats Ponderosa and Sizzler hands down!

20. daveann

daveann Addicted to Mickey

just seems to be very few who dont like it then :( those 3 places are my idea of food h@ll but there are plenty who enjoy them :)