1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome both old friends and new to the all new Walt Disney Secrets :-D Please take a moment to say hi

Gone with the wind.....my trip to Atlanta!

Discussion in 'Trip Reports' started by Johnie, Feb 18, 2009.

1. Johnie

Johnie Budget Queen Forum Host

Ok I just spent 15 minutes writing up a good trip report only to hit a button of some sort and delete the whole thing :thumbsdown:

Cast:
    Johnie-37, lover of all things historical
    Alysia- DD-17 who likes to travel and shop
    Shannon-18 and DD's friend who also likes history and gets my weird jokes

We decided to drive to Atlanta since I waited too long to buy plane tickets. Alysia did most of the driving :worship: I was able to hang out in the backseat and read, sleep and occasionally complain about the music being too loud :tongue:

The trip was pretty uneventful. We essentially drove down I85 for about 500 miles. We left after the girls got out of school and arrived around 12:30am. I had wanted to stop and eat at Cracker Barrell since there is one about every 5 miles on the way down. I was outvoted. We ended up in some diner in Thomasville, NC. I had an overwhelming desire to buy some furniture :tongue: The diner did not serve any breakfast food. However the service was quick and friendly. The grand total for 3 was $14. The downside is that we left smelling like cigarette smoke and fried food :thumbsdown:

We arrived at the hotel. I had gotten the Baymont Inn and Suites on Hotwire for about $42 a night. Parking was an additional $15 a night. I thought that was a reasonable amount. Apparently the people checking in ahead of me did not. They kept saying, "oh lord!" about the whole thing. My impersonation of them saying this became a running joke of the weekend. The room was clean and no frills. We did get free wi-fi which was nice. The hotel also has a free deluxe continental breakfast of which we did not partake. None of us are breakfast eaters.

Sat., Feb 14th. We got up and dressed and headed down the road to the first stop of the day. The World of Coca-Cola. Tickets for this are $15 for each adult. There are a couple of films, a pop culture room, a bottling room, a tasting room and some other stuff. It was a neat way to spend a few hours. We got to meet the Coca-Cola polar bear. He is too cute! His eyes blink! The sampling room has 64 flavors of Coke from around the world. We did enjoy watching the unaware sample Beverly :tongue:

2. Johnie

I seem to be having some technical difficulties uploading pics here :sorry:

We headed off to the Flying Biscuit Cafe for lunch. We had about a 30 minute wait. www.flyingbiscuitcafe.com Alysia had looked at the menu and decided she was having the love cakes and pudge. Sounds good but she wasn't impressed with either. Shannon had french toast which she enjoyed. I had the oven baked chicken that had a crust on it, grilled mac and cheese and collard greens. All mac and cheese should be grilled. OMG it was yummy.
    I also had one of the biscuits which was good. But, it was not fluffy. Biscuits should always be light and fluffy.

We headed our overly full selves over to the Margaret Mitchell house and museum. The tour is $12 for adults and $9 for students over the age of 13. As with many of the things we did this weekend, we weren't allowed to take pictures. It was pretty neat to see where she lived when she wrote Gone With the Wind. A tiny hardback chair, manual typewriter and a small desk. After seeing the size of her kitchen, I will never complain about the lack of space in mine again! I swear I have closets bigger than that kitchen. In the back part of the house is also a tribute to Martin Luther King Jr. There is a picture of a GWTW assembly and the Ebenezer Baptist Church was part of the choir. A 10 year old MLK was a part of it. He apparently got lots of flack for supporting the book and movie.

Of course, there was a gift shop and I bought lots of GWTW goodies. Alysia hasn't even read the book or seen the entire movie but wanted stuff. She is also very interested in reading the book now.

3. Johnie

Let's try this again

Attached Files:

4. Johnie

Margaret Mitchell museum

Attached Files:

5. Johnie

Centennial Park where the 1996 Olympics was hosted is across the street. It is way smaller than I imagined.

Attached Files:

6. Johnie

We drove around a bit to see Atlanta. I think it is much like Richmond in that people really don't hang out downtown as opposed to out in the suburbs. We ended up in a pretty sketchy area but hit the 3 vintage stores down there. All the shops were empty except for us and the shop owner. The shop owners were very friendly and curious as to how we found them. My love of exploring :yes: Alysia found a cute dress for $28 and we were on our way.

We headed back to the hotel for a bit and hung out. We had a 7pm reservation at Pittypat's Porch. However, we were still too full to eat at 7pm. We were going to go to the Old Spaghetti Factory but after a call telling me that the wait was almost 2 hours, we decided not to go there. I called Pittypat's and was told to come on over. So, we called a cab since the parking last night was so horrendous. Pittypat's was a pretty short drive. It is an awesome restaurant. When you go in, there is the porch area with rocking chairs and you can look down into the restaurant. The main bar is up there as well. The dining room in downstairs. We were seated right away in what I would call the hunter room. We were looking at all sorts of stuffed heads.....including a lion, a bear and a goat that had it's own paws holding a gun underneath. There were lots of cheerleaders in the restaurant. This is the theme of the weekend. Apparently they are all required to wear hideously dark eyeshadow as well.

We ordered cokes (apparently this is all one can purchase in Atlanta.....I swear I didn't see one Pepsi all weekend!). We were also given water in pewter goblets. I should buy some of these, it kept the water exceptionally cold :yes: We ordered fried green tomatoes which I had never had. I know! I am southern and should have had these well before now. Shannon ordered the ribs. Alysia and I decided to split the fried chicken since it came with 3 pieces. We were not told there is a $10 split plate charge (also not on the menu). However, the $10 charge allows the other person to get the sideboard which has about 7 prepared salads and the biscuits, cornbread and muffins. We helped ourselves to the sideboard. There was a green salad, a sweet potato salad which was very good, cucumber salad, chicken salad (which Alysia proclaimed the BEST chicken salad she has ever had), 3 bean salad, hopping John and something else that I can't remember. You can order the sideboard as an entree. Our entrees came out. I then remembered we didn't get our fried green tomatoes. I didn't say anything since we had so much food as it was. We also didn't have any bread much to the girl's dismay. The table next to us was pretty loud and our server was busy with them and a couple of others. He came over and gave us refills and bread. The muffins were chocolate chip. The cornbread is really cake :nono: and the biscuits were good. The mashed potatoes that came with our chicken were really good! They should have been called pudge :tongue:

Our waiter comes back over and sits down with us and tells us he has a proposition for us. He says he was busy with the other tables, apologizes and tells us he put in the order for the fried green tomatoes. He is also going to give us dessert on the house :yes: Quite pleased with that.

The fried green tomatoes came out. My goodness! those things are good. Nice and light. We were far too full to actually eat dessert at the restaurant. So, Alysia and I got the peach cobbler to go. We did eat the cinnamon ice cream that comes with it at the restaurant. Shannon got the key lime pie to go.

Here are some pics from the restaurant. Sorry for the darkness, we turned the flash off as not to be rude.

Attached Files:

7. Johnie

The goat with his paws as a gun holder

Attached Files:

8. Johnie

Sun, Feb 15th

We get up, dress and head over to the Civic Center to see the King Tut exhibit. I had purchased tickets online. It was cheaper to buy a family four pack of tickets than 3 individual tickets. Odd. It was also cheaper to buy the audio tour and movie ticket combo there than it was on ticketmaster. I am glad I waited.

We weren't allowed to take any pictures at this event so I have none to share :sorry: The exhibit was very good. I have heard repeatedly that the King Tut exhibit from the 1970's was much better. However, I was just a little kid in the 70's and nobody took me so.....this is what I was able to do :yes: Shannon really enjoyed the exhibit. Alysia was positive we were going to be cursed forever. The tour was narrated by Harrison Ford. A good pick :yes: It took about two hours to go through the exhibit. I had always heard that Tut was hit in the back of the head and killed. However, they have done testing in 2005 and this is not true. They have no idea how he died so young. He apparently had excellent dental health as well.

There is a gift shop. Shannon was pleasantly surprised by this. I just laughed and told her there is ALWAYS a gift shop :tongue: An incredibly expensive gift shop I might add. I did get a lovely calendar for $5. The best souvenier was a machine that would print your name in hieroglypics for $1. I also got a papyrus print of an ankh.....my favorite Egyptian symbol.

I have an even deeper longing to go to Egypt now :yes:

9. Johnie

One of the people we met at the vintage shops asked us if we were going to the bodies exhibit. I didn't even know this was going on in Atlanta. So I did some investigating and found out some info. They also had something called Dialogue in the Dark that we wanted to attend but couldn't get tickets for it.

The tickets for the Bodies exhibit were about $30 each. It was being held in Atlantic Station which is apparently a shopping, working, living community. Parking is underground and expensive IMO. The Bodies exhibit was interesting. I will never eat turkey again ugh. It was shorter than I thought it would be. I did think the price tag was too high.

Again no pictures allowed. I did buy a book called Stiff: The Curious Lives of Human Cadavers by Mary Roach. I just finished it and it is a very interesting read. I did have to put the book down a couple of times and makes faces but it didn't gross me out as much as I thought it would.

We decided to try the Old Spaghetti Factory for dinner. They have call ahead seating and told us to get there by 6. We get there and are then told it's a one and half hour wait. I was not pleased and did speak to a manager about it. We wouldn't have gone had we known the wait was going to be so long. The food was good though. We had to get to go boxes. They brought out little Chinese food containers :unsure: It's an Italian restaurant. We were trying to figure out why. I thought perhaps they were trying to be clever since Marco Polo brought noodles from China to Italy. So, we ask our server. He thinks management was being cheap. I tell him my theory and he says he is going to use that from now on! So, if you go to this place and hear the Marco Polo story....it's mine :tongue:

10. Johnie

Mon, Feb 16th. We are headed to the Georgia Aquarium today. We first head in and see the 4D show. It was cute but seemed like a rip off version of Finding Nemo. We then headed in to see the Titanic exhibit. We got card telling us which passenger we are. I was a 3rd class passenger. I had lived in Rhode Island with my husband and 2 boys. Apparently the children and I left the husback and went to England. The boys were homesick and that is why we were on Titanic. I survived and my boys died. They were 13 and 16 :sorry: I am always overwhelmed by the entire Titanic story and this was no exception. The girls had a hard time beleiving that the Titanic was found when I was 15. I vividly recall noone knowing where it was. It is still absolutely amazing to me all the artifacts that have been recovered. I still think everyone should go see the Titanic exhibit in Orlando. It is by far the best one I have seen thus far :yes:

We then headed over to get lunch in the cafe. They have fish on the menu :nono: that just seems wrong to me. Again not a Pepsi to be found. I am in the middle of Coke Land :sorry:

Finally I am able to take pictures. So here you go. We absolutely fell in love with the otters. There was one that just swam around and around with her paw in her mouth. Her name is Gracie and she is just too cute. Then there were 5 asian otters, all sisters. They were a hoot!

Attached Files:

11. foreverducky

foreverducky Addicted to Mickey

So cool! I would be worried about being cursed too.
    After just watching Ghost Town I thought Tut's teeth too. :D

That book sounds really interesting. I was just completely enthralled by the bodies exhibit.

I do wish that more places would allow picture taking...even if they didn't allow flash.

12. Johnie

Sea life.....

Attached Files:

13. foreverducky

Love any kind of aquarium. So peaceful and the colors are always so rich.

14. Johnie

The asian otters.....it was pretty close to feeding time and they knew it!!

Attached Files:

15. foreverducky

I could watch otters for hours. They are so funny and look at them waiting for food. So cute too!

16. Johnie

I could have watched Gracie swim all day with her little paw in her mouth. Sooo cute. She swims fast so it was hard to get a good picture of her.

Attached Files:

17. Johnie

More pics

Attached Files:

18. Johnie

We loved Pittypats Porch so much we went back again for supper. We were able to sit in a different section so no dead animals on the wall. We had an excellent server this time! I tried the filet and it was superb. Alysia and Shannon split the fried chicken this time. We each got dessert. I had the bread pudding which was very good. Shannon had the pecan pie laced with bourbon. Ok all pecan pie should be laced with bourbon :yes: Alysia had the peach cobbler.

Tues., Feb 17th. We packed up the car and drove on home.

Thanks for reading :hug2:

19. Johnie

The book was very good. I had no idea all the things they did with bodies willed to science. Very cool stuff. I was telling DH that I really think I could work with dead people as long as the blood is all gone. It's the blood that seems to get to me......

20. Dawn

Dawn carpe diem-ing Forum Host

You saw bodies?? :eek: