1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome both old friends and new to the all new Walt Disney Secrets :-D Please take a moment to say hi

Good news for UK mobile phone customers travelling to USA

Discussion in 'Gadgets and Gizmos' started by Britchick, Dec 4, 2013.

1. Britchick

Britchick Serious Forum Regular

3 have announced that you can use your allowance in the US. Hopefully others will follow suit.. if they haven't already

Feel At Home is an additional service that lets you use your UK plan allowance or Add-on allowance to call or text the UK, use data in selected destinations abroad and benefit from lower-than-usual roaming rates. This applies to everyone on our network, whatever plan or tariff you have and whether you're using a phone or Mobile Broadband device. If your plan doesn't include call, text or data allowances, we recommend you buy an Add-on to be able to fully enjoy Feel At Home.

You shouldn't need to do anything to benefit from Feel At Home – it should all work automatically as soon as you arrive. However if you've previously bought a Euro Internet Pass, we may have blocked your data roaming to stop you being charged unexpectedly. If this is the case, and you find that you can't use the internet when you enter a country, just follow the link in the text we send you to unblock your internet access.

Don’t forget, not all older devices will work in all countries. If you’re travelling to the USA for example, you’ll need a quad-band device in order to pick up a local network. All devices we currently sell are quad-band. Click here to check which network frequencies your device works on.

Where Feel At Home applies.
    You can currently enjoy Feel At Home in the following destinations:

Australia
    Austria
    Denmark
    Hong Kong
    Italy
    Indonesia
    Macau
    Republic of Ireland
    Sri Lanka
    Sweden
    USA.
    We are working hard to add more destinations to this list and will let you know as soon as we do.

What Feel At Home covers.
    Feel At Home means that you can use your UK plan or Add-on allowances to:

call the UK
    text the UK
    use data on your phone.
    If you have Three-to-Three minutes, you’ll also be able to use these to call someone else on Three either in the UK or in the same Feel At Home destination as you.

If you run out of your allowances.
    If you go over your plan or Add-on allowances, or are using Pay As You Go credit, you'll be charged at roaming rates that are lower than normal. These rates are:

20p per minute to make calls
    7p per text
    10p per MB.
    It’s always free to receive calls in a Feel At Home destination. Find out about other roaming rates where you're going.

If you run out of your inclusive allowances, and you don't want to be charged roaming rates, you can now use My3 on your device or on Three.co.uk in Feel At Home countries to buy normal UK Add-ons. Depending on which Add-on you choose, you can get additional allowances of calls, texts and/or data. Just visit mobile.three.co.uk/my3 on your phone, or call us free on +44782333330.

If you have a credit limit or zero spending cap, this will still apply while you're in a Feel At Home destination.

Limitations on Feel At Home.
    There are some limitations on Feel At Home.

If you're new to Three and have a new Pay Monthly SIM plan with us, you won't be able to use your SIM abroad for the first 30 days of your contract. If you want to use your phone abroad, you'll need to call us after 30 days to activate international roaming.

You can’t use your phone to tether while you're abroad.

If you're on Pay As You Go, depending on your tariff, you may have certain allowances included when you top-up. You can use these as part of Feel At Home. You can also buy Add-ons which give you allowances which can be used as part of Feel At Home. Special roaming rates for calls and texts back to the UK and data use will apply, but is limited to your available credit.

As in any non-UK country, you can’t call personal numbers (070), premium rate numbers beginning 09 and directory services numbers beginning 118. However, calls to numbers beginning 08 will be included in your standard allowances, and then charged at 20p per minute if you go over your allowances.

Feel At Home is designed for UK residents who are customers of Three UK and who are visiting other destinations. If you use Feel At Home exclusively for a full calendar month, at least three times in any 12 month period, we reserve the right to suspend international roaming on your account. This means you wouldn’t be able to use your Three device abroad. Don’t worry, we’d let you know before we did this.

You’ll be able to stream and connect to VPNs while in a Feel At Home destination but both of these will be slower than they are in the UK.

If your plan or Add-on includes all-you-can-eat data, unlimited texts or more than 3000 minutes, when using Feel At Home you’ll only be able to use 25GB of data, 5000 texts to the UK or 3000 minutes of calls to the UK in any one month. We reserve the right to suspend our service if you exceed any of these limits for more than any two months within a twelve month period.
    You won’t be able to change your My3 PIN when you're in a Feel At Home destination.

2. Wendy

Wendy A hui hou kakou makuakane Staff Member Administrator

I wonder how long it will be before the other providers do something similar.

I don't think it would make a difference to me though, I like the way I do it now, I have no worries about any charges when I come home.

3. Tony G

Tony G Serious Forum Regular

I hope O2 follow in Three's footsteps. If not, I can see me switching!

4. Britchick

I have 3 at the moment, the one account allows unlimited data and free tethering so is a bargain for me at £18 pm. (No tethering abroad though)

5. keith

keith Camera nut Staff Member Administrator Forum Host

I always thought three were a bit of a joke. When they launched, they went all out for data which was great but with horrible huge clunky phones so I was never interested. Then, the coverage was awful so again no use.

This year, a guy at work who uses about 30GB of data a month by using his phone to watch shows and listen to radio etc, joined them and he loves it. Truly unlimited data for him, fast and hasnt had a problem with coverage.

Things like unlimited data and now this use allowance whilst abroad really makes me want to give them a go.

6. Tony G

Tony G Serious Forum Regular

Thanks, that's really useful info (and a good deal!)... Now I just need to wait for Apple to release another iPhone I actually want.

Britchick likes this.
  7. Britchick

they've been great. We had a mifi with them, we travel around the country quite a lot and never ever had any connectivity issues and the speed has been as good as hotel wifi. When our contracts ran out on our 5s we thought we'd try 3 and see and having no problem at all. Jon has signed up for a year and it's £15, I have a monthly rolling account and it's £18 really good value including the tethering.

8. keith

I think it'll be enough for me to move to three. They already offer unlimited data which is great and this allowance usage abroad is exactly how things should be.

I hope they do really well out of it and it forces other providers to up their game

9. Vikki

Vikki Serious Forum Regular

Yep. I'd be tempted to move to them too.

10. keith

I mean we all know that monthly contracts with allowed mins/texts/data is the biggest scam going right? we pay for stuff that we dont end up using and it expires each month. So anything that makes that a bit more bearable has to be welcome. (although really we probably should be campaigning for no up front fees at all and tiny per use charges )