1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome both old friends and new to the all new Walt Disney Secrets :-D Please take a moment to say hi

Grand floridian really worth the extra?

Discussion in 'Resorts, Hotels, DVC, Villas' started by disneymom, Aug 3, 2008.

1. disneymom

disneymom Imagineer

Ive always wanted to stay there I go visit every time we're at disney but never stayed.

Is it worth it? and where would we stay? does it have to be the main building

2. Slowhand

Slowhand Cruise Director Forum Host

Re: Grand florida really worth the extra?

We have stayed there loads of times and really love the place. Nowadays we tend to stay there using our DVC points in order to give my DW a break from the housework etc. at our villa [she is VERY houseproud! :yes:] On this basis it is a "free" stay so yes I`d definately say that it was worth the money! :lol:

We always ask for a room in the Sago Cay Building with a view overlooking the boating marina.
    This location is one of the quieter locations, being well away from the pools which can tend to be a bit noisy with late night bathers.
    Also it`s very near to the main building and Gasparilla`s snack bar and you can get access to the parking lot and bus stop without the need to trudge through the main building by using a side entrance close by which is the entrance used by the CM`s.

3. keith

keith Camera nut Staff Member Administrator Forum Host

I really liked it. I don't know that it has, to me anyway, the disney "WOW" theming effect. What is has is this sense of ultimate luxury and you know you're staying at the best hotel on property.

I WAS disappointed by my checkin experience and room location :( despite asking for Sago Cay, we got a very lack luster location overlooking the pool. Of course everyone can't get what they ask for, fair enough, it's just that this was our "push the boat out" trip and it was very kinda "is that it" when we got there.

The checkin assistant was kinda offhand too. It was our wedding anniversary and a dear friend (Mickeymac, Marion for those that know her) had arranged for a gift to be waiting for us. In my usual style :lol: I didnt like to mention special occasions, so MickeyMac had plastered the outside of the gift with happy anniversay + added the fact to the reservation. Even with that, there was a rather standoffish "youre checked in, room not ready" type of approach :( not even a happy anniversay to DW which is such a small thing but means a lot.

It took us till about 4:30pm for the room to be ready.

Now. That aside, the mousekeeper DID arrange champagne and chocolate for us :) so ok, it was just a bad example of a checkin CM.

Thing is, that + the delay sort of put DW off the whole place.

All that having been said, the ice and chocolates were there every evening :) there was a peace and serenity about the whole place in the evening.

4. Slowhand

I was sorry to hear about your bad experience when I first heard about it...if that makes sense! We also use Marion who did a tremendous job for us one year, getting us a room at the end of Sago Cay Building with a fabulous view of the castle at MK.

We also stayed there on a "special anniversary" trip a few years ago and we were inundated with complimentary items delivered to our room which we thought was a nice touch.

I agree that it isn`t an "in your face Disney" type of resort, but the decorations at Christmas Time along with the HUGE ginger bread house they build in the lobby is just amazing.

I guess that we are lucky really because at check in I always hang back until I see one of the CM`s behind the desk I recognise and [touch wood], so far we`ve always managed to blag an upgraded room which has always been ready for us. [What`s the betting now that we`ll have a terrible experience when we stay there in September, now that I`ve said that? :lol:]

5. keith

oh don't even joke, I'm sure you'll have a GREAT time :yes:

It's a special place it's just that sometimes first impressions have a huge impact. With the amount I spent :( ach well, perhaps it was me having unrealistic expectations.

6. MinnieMouse

MinnieMouse Earning my ears

The Grand Floridian is a very lovely hotel. We have stayed there once in one of the outer buildings. We were close to the boat dock and Narcooses.

It is the up most in glamour and splendour. It does possess one of the best restaurants on property the wonderful V&A and when you approach the hotel from seven seas lagoon it is a sight that takes your breath away.

It is the most expensive on property for sure but it does make you feel special when you stay there. :yes:

7. Slowhand

Totally agree. V&A`s is a fabulous place to dine, especially if you are looking for a special meal [and can afford to spend the $$$`s for it!. :shocked025:]
    The GF also boasts another great restaurant in Citrico`s which we really enjoy.

8. keith

I love v&a I really do. It's just wonderful.

Citricos I must admit I wasn't that impressed with. They recommended a white salmon which was frankly awful. Interestingly, v&a in May also had white salmon and of course, night and day! It was superb.

9. Wendy

Wendy A hui hou kakou makuakane Staff Member Administrator

We've never stayed there, but I would really love to.

We have got a reservation for Citricos for Christmas Day, will Chris like it Terry :unsure: you know whay he's like :lol:

10. Slowhand

I`m sure he will be ok Wendy, but I`ll get you a menu on our next trip to put his mind at rest. [I`ll also ask if they will be doing a special menu for Christmas Day and let you know.]

11. Wendy

Wendy A hui hou kakou makuakane Staff Member Administrator

Thank you :hug1:

12. keith

He'll be fine Wendy :) I found lots to eat there! It was just that I didnt care for their recommendation of rather poorly prepared salmon ;) and felt it was a bit oversold in terms of a quality experience.

As a restaurant on christmas day I actually feel it would be one of the better choices with its menu, location etc.

13. uscwest

uscwest Senior Cast Member

WHITE Salmon. Can't say as though I've ever heard of that one before. Was the flesh really white?

14. keith

oh gosh, this is a big question :lol:

Citricos and v&a both explained the white salmon as a rare breed that had a unique taste and when its gone for a season it's gone. Yep it was pretty much white all over rather than pink.

At citricos it had that rather bland sea-fish taste, at v&a it tasted equisite.

Apparrently some salmon is artificially coloured pink and carefully fed salmon can end up gray or white but they found that consumers would rather have pink so they fed them accordingly.

I dont really know enough about fish to say for sure but I know I wouldnt pay extra to try the white