1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome both old friends and new to the all new Walt Disney Secrets :-D Please take a moment to say hi

News ‘Great Balls of Fire’ Interactive Exhibit Opens at Kennedy Space Centre Complex

Discussion in 'Other Parks and Attractions News & Rumours' started by Wendy, Jul 4, 2014.

1. Wendy

Wendy A hui hou kakou makuakane Staff Member Administrator

Kennedy Space Center Visitor Complex recently celebrated the grand opening of the new “Great Balls of Fire” interactive exhibit, which provides guests with an in-depth and hands-on experience as they learn about asteroids, comets and meteorites. As part of the grand opening, former astronaut, Dr. Tom Jones discussed how NASA research allows us to better defend Earth against the impact of asteroids.

Great Balls of Fire allows Visitor Complex guests to discover the risks that these space projectiles present to our planet and explores how we keep track of near-Earth objects while examining the effects of possible impacts.

Dr. Tom Jones, four-time space shuttle astronaut, was the guest of honor at the grand opening. As a senior research scientist at the Florida Institute for Human and Machine Cognition, Jones addressed the future direction of human space exploration, uses of asteroid and space resources and defending Earth from asteroid impacts.

Within the Great Balls of Fire exhibit is Asteroid Encounter, where guests can climb aboard a “spaceship” and blast off to the asteroid belt and Jupiter while compiling data about asteroids and comets. Guests also can explore what would happen if one of these celestial bodies were to hit their hometown, determine Science Fact or Science Fiction of Hollywood movie clips, build their own solar system and much more.

“Great Balls of Fire is an interactive exhibit that educates guests on the risks and benefits of asteroids and comets,” said Therrin Protze, chief operating officer of Kennedy Space Center Visitor Complex. “We’ve never had anything like this at Kennedy Space Center Visitor Complex and it’s a great way to create an entertaining and fun learning environment for children and adults.”

2. keith

keith Camera nut Staff Member Administrator Forum Host

I'm really going to need to go back to KSC in November :yes: I love that they're adding more things to keep it fresh

3. Tony G

Tony G Serious Forum Regular

I think I read somewhere that they're planning on opening ten attractions in ten years.

...Not that I need an excuse to go back! I was really disappointed that I didn't get time to go on my last visit, despite having an annual pass.

4. Wendy

I really like KSC and what they did with Atlantis was just amazing.

5. Deafjeff

Deafjeff Serious Forum Regular

I really want to go but Stephen not keen so... I'm looking for someone to hold my hand ;)

6. Wendy

Maybe next year :D