1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome both old friends and new to the all new Walt Disney Secrets :-D Please take a moment to say hi

Guaranteed Seating at WDW

Discussion in 'Restaurants, Dining, Dining Plans' started by gwennie81, Oct 29, 2009.

1. gwennie81

gwennie81 Earning my ears

I have mixed feelings about this.
    It would be great for people like me who usually go alone or in a small group so when we order at the counter, it's hard to find a table.
    It would be bad for people with multiple kids or in a large group who do not want everyone up at the counter ordering because of the confusion, so one adult gets a table with the kids.
    Secondly, why do people that bring their own food steal tables in the eateries? There are a million benches and places to sit in the park. I think you shouldn't be able to eat in a busy place if you brought your own food unless it's raining.
    Anyway, read and comment...

Do you like ‘guaranteed seating’ concept? | TheDailyDisney.com from OrlandoSentinel.com

2. Tink

Tink Cead Mille Failte! Staff Member Administrator

Well, I'm one who brings my own food often. :yes: I buy a drink at a counter service place, if only bottled water, and then sit at a table and eat. :shrug:

I'll sit outdoors if it's nice, and there is an available table, but just because I choose to bring my own food doesn't mean that I should have to eat off my lap. :D Not that I'll die if I eat WDW counter service food, but it is a health reason why I carry my own food, as well as a budgetary reason. If WDW didn't want me to bring in my own food they'd have a rule against it and prevent it at the baggage search. :yes: Usually, I'll have the security guard ask what time lunch is and can s/he join us? :lol:

I couldn't get your link to open so I don't know what it says. :unsure:

3. Johnie

Johnie Budget Queen Forum Host

eh not so sure I like the idea. I don't like to feel like I am being herded. Are they going to time me to, to make sure I am not lingering over my meal too long?

4. gwennie81

gwennie81 Earning my ears

Here is the article, for those who couldn't open it. Kind of like they're adding lunchroom monitors. HA!

Do you like ‘guaranteed seating’ concept?

A Mom and The Mouse, Kristin Ford — By Kristin Ford on October 28, 2009 at 6:00 am

[​IMG] Guests are greeted with quick-read menus before placing their orders at self-serv kiosks at Pecos Bill Tall Tale Inn and Cafe in the Magic Kingdom. Photo by Joe Burbank/Orlando Sentinel.

My colleague Jason recently reported that Disney World is experimenting with seating practices in its four counter-service restaurants in the Magic Kingdom.
    He wrote: “Disney has begun restricting access — but guaranteeing seating — during particularly busy lunch rushes. Managers say the approach helps smooth out traffic in part by eliminating the need for groups to split up and send someone to order food while another person holds an open table — something that can clog up as much as one-third of a restaurant’s capacity at any given time.
    “Under the controlled-access and -seating program, guests in certain restaurants are steered through a single entrance so workers can keep tabs on how many people are inside. A greeter hands menus and steers the entire group to cash registers to place their orders. After they get their food, they are guided by another employee to an empty table.”
    While I do think it sounds more relaxing to be “guaranteed” a table and not to have to race for it myself, I wonder what this means for families who bring their lunches into the Magic Kingdom and don’t need to place an order.
    My friend and her family got caught up in this scenario when the concept was being tested in the spring, and they were not happy about it. She said they felt pressured to buy something, even though they weren’t explicitly told they must. Furthermore, she didn’t notice any difference in crowd control, despite the guides. And having to wait for a table meant she couldn’t get her hungry, young kids started on their meal to avoid the meltdowns.
    Controlled-access seating is used at Pecos Bill Tall Tale Inn and Café, Columbia Harbour House, Pinocchio Village Haus and Cosmic Ray’s Starlight Café when Magic Kingdom attendance warrants.

5. Tink

Tink Cead Mille Failte! Staff Member Administrator

Ah that. I've seen it, and it doesn't work so well. We walked in, some went to a table, and then I went to a line to buy the drinks and dessert. The CMs really didn't seem to know what they were doing.

At Cosmic Ray's the CM handed us a menu, but that was it. We had some of us sitting at a table and the rest of us on line buying the food. :shrug:

Another silly concept that isn't working.