1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome both old friends and new to the all new Walt Disney Secrets :-D Please take a moment to say hi

Guess I should do a pre-trip thing

Discussion in 'Trip Reports' started by Dawn, Jul 14, 2013.

1. Dawn

Dawn carpe diem-ing Forum Host

It's less than 5 weeks now. :mental:

In fact, this time in 5 weeks I plan to be sat in Joe's Crab Shack extracting meat from shell. :D

So it's been 3 years. I still haven't finished the trip report from last time. I am still working on it but time is precious. I was kind of hoping to finish it before the next trip came around but... well I haven't. :unsure:

Anyway we're off again. Some veterans and a very gullible first timer. :evil:

Cast:
    Me: yadda, yadda yadda
    Adrian: still won't eat dressing on salad, still doesn't like getting lost, still doesn't get enthusiastic
    Steven: 10 now :eek: and this will be his third trip. Looking forward to riding the Despicable Me attraction and loading up on minions.
    Nanny Lesley: my mum, old enough to know better, her 4th trip.

And introducing....*fanfare*

Grandma!

Adrian's mum, aka mother in law. :thud:
    Actually, despite them being right wing conservatives who read the Daily Mail it was my idea to invite Adrian's parents to come with us. Carpe Diem. That is all. They've never been on holiday with us and as they live 6 hours away we don't see them very often. Steven is, and will be, their only grandchild. So I shall just take deep breaths if she starts. Adrian's dad declined the offer as he won't leave their dog. Bit like my dad. Grandma has never been to America and is very gullible. I can't wait. :evil:

So 5 of us going. We are staying here - www.amickeyadventure.com I want the pirate bedroom. Steven says he is having the master suite with the balcony. We shall see. I have promised Tink not to go out on to the jetty in bare feet and not to dangle anything in the water. :lol: We tried to get the villa we stayed in last time but that was already booked :( so we looked around and found one in the same complex. We loved the location. Just 5 minutes from Serbeth Road.

We have flights with Virgin Atlantic and some kind of 7 seater car with EVERYTHING pre paid. I can't wait to deal with the guy who tries to sell me extra insurance. :evil:

I have done the ESTAs and bought lots of dollars. Steven has been saving again and amassed a tidy sum for the Lego shop and building yet another light saber. Apparently I'm buying all the minions he is planning to buy.

He also says he will wear his minion goggles through airport security. :point:

Night before staying at the Premier Inn at Gatwick. Meet and greet parking booked with the same company as last time. I think that's all the nuts and bolts part.

We have 14 day passes for WDW and Universal so can come and go as we please. The itinerary is loose and based around 3 restaurant bookings.

Flying Sat 17th August.

18th - traditional first morning breakfast at Perkins before introducing Grandma to the wonder that is Walmart. Then a bit of DTD and Joe's Crab Shack for dinner.

19th - 7.35am ADR Ohana then Magic Kingdom would be logical.

20th - somewhere

21st - somewhere

22nd - Islands of Adventure - I spontaneously booked lunch at Mythos for this day.

23rd - somewhere

24th - middle Saturday - Winter Garden Village at some point and something else

25th and 26th - somewhere

27th - probably a water park in the morning and then we are hosting a tacky gift soiree at the villa in the afternoon

28th and 29th - somewhere

30th - Magic Kingdom, dinner at 1900 Park Fare at 7pm

31st - home :(

What else do you want to know?

2. Vikki

Vikki Serious Forum Regular

I love your 'somewhere'.

3. Dawn

We'll probably decide the night before. :shrug:

4. Slowhand

Slowhand Cruise Director Forum Host

Is your villa located at the Sandy Ridge complex Dawn?
    The exterior shots look very much like where our place is located and the map shows it in approx. the same area. :unsure:

5. Dawn

It's The Reserve at Town Center resort. Off of Old Lake Wilson Road. Just past the Publix lights and left at the white picket fence. :lol:

6. Slowhand

You are our neighbours then. :lol:
    If you were to turn left at the Old Lake Wilson lights and travel on Osceola for around a mile or so towards Kissimmee, Sandy Ridge is on your right.
    [Nice choice of location BTW :lol:]

7. keith

keith Camera nut Staff Member Administrator Forum Host

Ahhhh that wonderful publix chicken sigh

8. Dawn

Isn't it awesome! :lol:

9. Vikki

Vikki Serious Forum Regular

We often decide according to which bus shows up ;)

10. Slowhand

Not to mention the Philly Cheese sandwiches from the deli....Boars Head meat of course. :lol:

11. Wendy

Wendy A hui hou kakou makuakane Staff Member Administrator

I wish you two would behave, I'm feeling hungry now :lol:

12. Tink

Tink Cead Mille Failte! Staff Member Administrator

Dawn, there is a new Joe's Crab Shack nearer where you will be staying than the one by DTD. It's on the right as you are west bound on 192 heading for Rt 27. You might find that one more convenient. :yes: They've built a few new restaurants in there, Bone Fish is another. It's pretty good too, but pricier than Joe's and no crab.

And since it's been an extremely hot winter followed by a hideously hot summer, DO NOT PUT ANYTHING in still water. Not your toe, not your finger, not the stick you might have in your hand. Seriously. There are awful things in still water in Florida that are made worse by unseasonably hot temperatures of which we've had a very long streak.

Swim in the pool or the ocean. Goddit?

13. Johnie

Johnie Budget Queen Forum Host

Hmmm should I go to Publix and buy chicken? Is it rotisserie? Fried?

I like this fly by the seat if your pants thing! That's the way we do it :-D

14. Shellyamc

Shellyamc Serious Forum Regular

Sounds like a great trip :yes:

As for the thought of taking both my Mom and my Mother-in-law..well..I think I need to go lay down :unsure:

15. Tink

:lol: I don't know why, Shelly but that just cracked me up!

16. Dawn

I'm with Keith on the Publix chicken. That's our first night quick service dinner and it's yummy.

Steven loves the Publix sushi bar too.

17. Britchick

Britchick Serious Forum Regular

Their sandwiches are really good too, we used to ring and order ahead and pick them up on the way to the beach. Always get the boars head upgrade!

18. Britchick

Britchick Serious Forum Regular

PS mother and mother in law...holy moly...you're more insane than I thought!

19. Tink

Someone asked about the Publix chicken with regard to the rotisserie or fried.

BOTH!! I LOVE their fried chicken too. :yes: It's perfectly crispy and not oily at all. I know it's not the healthiest thing to eat, but if you want fried chicken get it there instead of any of those other places like KFC, or Bojangles, etc.

The lemon pepper rotisserie is my favorite, but I like their mojo too.

Surprisingly though, their sides aren't as nice. Not sure why, but I've tried their macaroni and cheese (mushy, ick) and their greens (bitter) so we only get the chicken. Oh, their wings are quite nice too if you like chicken wings.

20. keith

keith Camera nut Staff Member Administrator Forum Host

yep!!!!! both!!!!

The rotisserie chickens are great, even the "normal" ones have a really nice flavour to them. Then the boxes of fried chicken, especially the spicy ones, are great too.

I'm a real fan of publix. I realise it may not be the cheapest but the food is nice and the service is great. Makes me laugh/smile/sigh/cry all at the same time when after a holiday of publix packing the bags, carrying them out to the car and refusing a tip, I get back home to a UK supermarket and they throw 2 thin plastic bags at me and sit there chatting to their friend on the other till whilst I struggle to try and get everything packed into the rationed out bags myself.

The only thing that's a bit of a pain is that great publix in davenport doesnt seem to stay open massively late? perhaps 10pm?

(I could start moaning about the mcdonalds there too but I realise I'm on my own amongst all you healthy eaters :lol: seriously though, last time no burgers, no fries and no milkshakes.... but they COULD sell me an apple pie :/ )