1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome both old friends and new to the all new Walt Disney Secrets :-D Please take a moment to say hi

Rumour Guest Assitance Card to be Replaced

Discussion in 'Walt Disney World News & Rumors' started by Wendy, Sep 23, 2013.

1. Wendy

Wendy A hui hou kakou makuakane Staff Member Administrator

I've been hearing rumblings and have read in other places that the Disney GAC scheme will be ending next month.

Disney are allegedly replacing it with a Disabled Assistance System [DAS] and under the new scheme, visitors with disabilities will get a Fastpass-like return times for those rides, but only for one ride at a time. A guest with a qualifying disability will need to present a DAS pass, which include his or her photo, to get admitted at that return time. If a DAS user doesn't ride, no one in his or her party will be admitted to the attraction. Since DAS users can reserve only one return time at a time and won't be able to transfer that benefit to anyone, there should be no wait-time advantage to having a DAS pass over using the park's stand-by queues.

Visitors can get the DAS card at Guest Relations, and reserve return times at designated kiosks around the parks.

The new system is rumoured to be put in place at both Disneyland and Walt Disney World on the 9th October 2013.

I'm assuming that Disney are bringing this in to try and stop the abuse of the GAC that takes place. Recently, when I was waiting in Guest Services for Chris to come back, I saw 6 different families come in and ask for a GAC, there was nothing physically wrong with them, I know that doesn't mean there isn't, but one family added 5 people to their party and when they went outside, the person in the wheelchair got out and they put all their bags in the seat :nono:

2. Suebeattie

Suebeattie Addicted to Mickey

That's really bad!!! The thing is it will be those people who abuse the system that will moan about it!!
    It's good that Disney have identified a problem and are trying to fix it. Hopefully it doesn't affect the people who genuinely need the gac in a bad way.

3. keith

keith Camera nut Staff Member Administrator Forum Host

That's the real risk isn't it?

As much as I moan when I see abuses going on, I wouldn't want anything changed to make it any harder on the people who genuinely need the assistance.

I guess I've seen the other side of GAC. I saw a woman in tears in MK trying to justify needing the card. I dont know what the full story was, but from what the family was saying, a certain CM had just decided that they didn't need it and so they weren't getting anywhere. Then I've read stories on forums about people who didnt need it discussing what to say to get one.

It's hard, but all things considered I'd rather the odd abuse of the system by people who didn't deserve it than making it even a tiny bit harder for those who do need it to get it.

4. robertcraig

robertcraig Serious Forum Regular

Airdrie, North Lanarkshire, United Kingdom
    At the airport I saw the luggage piled on the wheelchair and the family walking behind

5. Claire

Claire She lost the crayons!

Trying to figure out how this works. So we get a DAS card from guest services for Owen and then go straight to, say, Flying Dumbos. They give us a return time, for example, an hours time. Does that then mean Owen can't use his card to ride another ride in that hour prior to going on Flying Dumbos?

6. Wendy

I think you are probably right Claire. Full information hasn't been released and I will go to Guest Services tomorrow and ask if this is true.

I think if you had a 3 hour return for Dumbo and then went to another area and was given a card for a 40 min wait in Peter Pan then that would work ok. If however, you are one side of the park and the ride is on the other side then this will run into problems.

Personally for me, I probably just wouldn't go on any rides anymore simply because I can manage my way round say Epcot, stopping for rides etc as I walk, there is no way I could walk back and forth for rides.

I completely understand the reasons why and it makes me mad that the people who genuinely need help are going to face this change because if the abuse of the GAC.

7. Vikki

Vikki Serious Forum Regular

The Daily Maid has waded in now.

http://dailym.ai/16u0X3j Disney bans disabled people from skipping lines because too many able-bodied visitors are CHEATING ... #MailOnline

8. Johnie

Johnie Budget Queen Forum Host

There are many, many hidden disabilities. It is unfair to judge a person as unworthy of needing an accommodation.

Example: my mother is fine walking around in her every day life. She gets tired and doesn't do lots of extra walking due to pain with her knees. She gets an ECV when we go to WDW as I know there is no way she could do the amount of walking there. The other part of the problem is that if she sits still too long then she is in tons of pain. So she needs to park the ecv and walk. I'm sure she got many dirty looks.

As for the GAC, we shall see how this plays out. From the rumors, it sounds like it is going to be a big nightmare.

9. Vikki

I am perfectly happy for those with a genuine need to go right to the front of the queue, be that a mental or physical need. Those that don't have such a need should go by the same rules as everyone else, especially now wheelchairs and scooters do fit down a lot of the lines.

The problem comes with how it is decided who has a need and who does not, and I fear that will be something that can never be fully resolved.

10. keith

I've had a couple of emails about this from CMs since we posted

There really does appear to be a problem with the idea that one person can get the card and then allow a group of others to benefit. Whether that's people offering "tours" where the leader gets a GAC and gets the group in, or whether it's one disabled person in a family&friends group. So the idea was to allow the disabled person + a carer or small family group to experience the ride together but it's that which is being hideously abused.

11. Vikki

It's such a shame people can't just be honest. I think the worst of it is, is that people who have a genuine need often don't get the assistance they deserve because they're worried about being looked at badly.

12. Claire

I think DLRP have the right idea with their GAC. The card comes with a list of all the rides and how many people can ride with the guest that needs the card, usually however many it takes to fill one 'unit'. So for a ride like Dumbo it's one plus card holder, for Crushes Coaster three plus card holder etc.

13. keith

thats seems pretty fair really

14. Tink

Tink Cead Mille Failte! Staff Member Administrator

The only thing I don't like about it is that it breaks up families (who are larger than the unit). Also, with only two allowed on some attractions, that could be a problem for a child who needs to be lifted to transfer.

I firmly believe there needs to be control, and the "perk" saved for only those who need it, but not sure limiting the "group" is the best way. It's not the worst way though, mind.

I've read that for each attraction the person with a disability will have to obtain a separate pass, as with fast pass. That would be miserable. :(

It might be best to have to show medical necessity as verified by the treating physician to obtain a pass. And then if the person with the disability isn't boarding the attraction, no one in the family (or group) does.

Tough stuff, just to counter dishonesty and cheaters. :(

15. Claire

This is the only downside to it for us at DLRP. With some rides we will never experience them as a family together due to the unit size. For this reason we like to stick to the rides like (dare I say it) It's a small world as the unit size is beyond our family size.

16. Wendy

I find it embarrassing enough having to go and ask for a card. I choose not to use an ecv for the very reason people have stated. I am overweight I am not a huge mammoth, but i am self conscious about it and that people are looking at me and this is the main reason I won't have an ecv.

I felt terrible asking for the card, but I genuinely cannot stand for more than about 10 mins without being in pain. Walking has been a real chore over here and there is no way I could cross back and forth across the park to return to rides.

So for me I will probably stop going to WDW, we don't go on many rides but we have got those that we like. Paying all that money for a ticket to just walk slowly round seems a bit pointless to me :sorry:

I agree with a proof of disability, I don't consider I am disabled. So it would still be the same for me. I don't know how they would know that it was a genuine letter from a doctor from the UK though.

Change needs to take place but at what cost :unsure:

I hope Disney doesn't start to year it's disabled guests the same as US do.

17. Johnie

By law, they cannot ask what the disability is or require proof. They have the right to ask what accommodations are needed.

There are always some who will take advantage of any thing they can. It should not taint an entire group.

18. Tink

Tink Cead Mille Failte! Staff Member Administrator

That's not completely accurate. They can ask for proof, as long as they don't retain a copy. It's the keeping of the health information that gets the whole thing messy. Currently, Disney has a policy that prevents asking for documentation of need or diagnosis, but it's not illegal to do so as long as the information is not disseminated or retained.

19. Johnie

A school or employer can require proof. But places like Disney or an airline, etc can not