1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome both old friends and new to the all new Walt Disney Secrets :-D Please take a moment to say hi

Half offsite and half on?

Discussion in 'Resorts, Hotels, DVC, Villas' started by pigletpete, Jan 2, 2010.

1. pigletpete

pigletpete Imagineer

Happy new year to you all :wave:

Last years holiday was great but we ended up going off disney property a lot more than we thought. We worked out that less than 7 days were actually full disney days

So we thought that this year we'd do 7 nights off site somewhere and 7 nights at disney is this a good idea? Has anyone done something like that and are there any planning problems I should be aware of?

We're also trying to decide where to stay for the offsite portion. There's the hotels by downtowndisney are any of those nice?

Or how about a hotel on international drive? is there a lot to do there if we stayed at a hotel right on the drive?

Any other areas we should look at? Basically we want somewhere that lets us easily explore other restaurants, shops, places without a car

Would a villa be a lot more expensive for 7 nights than a hotel?

2. arkvilla

arkvilla Addicted to Mickey

Hi,

I can't help with the hotels bit ( we havn't stayed in a hotel on or offsite ) but I would say if you are considering a villa, then you would almost definately need a car so bear this in mind with your price planning.

Sandra

3. Tink

Tink Cead Mille Failte! Staff Member Administrator

Definitely split your stay. :yes: That's a common thing to do when you have more than just a Disney centered holiday planned. I would plan on having a car though. It's far easier to get around.

I don't know much about villas, but I'd look into one. :yes: (We intend to look into a villa type arrangement when we go to Ireland, next). They seem so much more comfortable to me. More spacious and the ability to cook your own meals. That's probably not something many want to do on holiday but I sure do like to have the opportunity to do so.

I-Drive is a fun place to stay, but I no longer know where to recommend. The only place left that I'd feel comfortable suggesting is The Peabody. One of our members here has written a very disturbing review about the Rosen Hotels and I won't recommend them anymore.

Hotel Plaza Blvd, or Palm Parkway has some nice hotels too. If you find a Hilton Chain (Hampton Inn/Suites, Homewood Suites, Embassy Suites, Hilton Garden Inn, etc.) you'll be in a fairly decent set up. I'd avoid Doubletree Suites though. Although they are part of the Hilton chain, I've had some real problems with them over the past year.

Marriott Chain has some nice places too. :yes: From their suites to their simple hotel room, you are usually guaranteed cleanliness and decent service. :yes:

4. Slowhand

Slowhand Cruise Director Forum Host

Totally agree with what has been said.
    We own a villa which we only rent out to close friends and family and we love staying in Florida without feeling any pressure for the holiday to be totally immersed in Disney.
    Great as it is, there is a big world out there apart from WDW and dining off site is also less expensive and you don`t have the added hassle of making ADR`s etc.
    As such we always split our stay as you suggest.

5. Tink

I think too that staying the full time in a nice villa and coming and going as you please (again, provided you have your own transport) would be about the ideal way to do Central/Florida. :yes:

6. Ursula

Ursula Cast Member

Oh you will be well stuffed without a car.... for sure.

7. keith

keith Camera nut Staff Member Administrator Forum Host

Here comes the only poor sucker without a holiday car :lol:

Thing is I reckon we could survive 7 nights at a villa without a car. We take the taxi everywhere from Disney anyway and I reckon we do that at LEAST 7 days.

So if anything, a villa in the right place would SAVE us taxi fares

We'd need somewhere reasonably placed to get to charlies steakhouse :lol: florida and millenia malls and we'd be happy :)

Perhaps a pool with some gators for me to photograph :D

8. OWJAY

OWJAY Earning my ears

We have done split stay holidays both on disney/idrive and disney/villa and loved them. But must admit we did have a car and would feel lost without it

9. minnie-me

minnie-me Earning my ears

Hi

We have stayed on I-Drive without a car for the last 2 years - going to do it again this year. It is no problem getting about without a car.

We use the Lynx buses & I-Trolley to get everywhere & Ok it is abit more time consuming, we found it a great way to meet people & to just chill for abit.

We stayed at Homewood Suites Convention Centre 1st time, which was very nice & friendly. Alot of restaurants withing walking distance including Bahama Breeze, Olive Garden, Tony Romas, Friendlys, Dennys, Sizzlers etc., as well as crazy golf, ripleys etc..

Last year we stayed at Sheraton Vistana Villages which is South int drive. This was a fantastic hotel, condo style hotel. Bus stop right outside hotel.

This May we are trying Floridays.

All these hotels use shuttles to get to the parks - which again has been no problem to use. There has been myself, DH & 2 DD;s who are now 11 & 7.

Hope this helps.

10. Tink

What great information Minnie-Me! Thank you for sharing this with us. I wouldn't have ever guessed that getting around from I-Drive without a car would be so very doable. :yes:

Did you use the I Trolley at all? If so, did you buy a pass or just pay as you go?

11. daveann

daveann Addicted to Mickey

we have done split disney and i drive. we stayed on i drive the 1st week at the holiday inn but have stayed at lots of others in the area over the years. we did i drive 1st week and did what we wanted to do off property that week. it was a struggle staying away from disney thpough :lol: alot of the hotels run shuttle buses also but we have always had a car. as others said i trolley runs up and down idrive all day long and rally there is no problem getting around.
    1 problem we did come across was the noise of i4 that road is busy all day and night there is no let up at all we struggled with the noise for sleeping but resolved this by always asking for a run on the front of hotels are latterly we have stayed on universal blvd as its away from there and also its a hotel with internal corridores :)

the second week we just packed everything up and moved onto disney property went and booked in at the hotel and then off to the parks :)

we did our split stay through virgin as they were the only company who did the split stay with the hotels we wanted. i would really recomend a split stay :)

12. minnie-me

minnie-me Earning my ears

:thumbsup: Tink

We bought a 2 week pass for the i-ride & also a pass for the Lynx. We would normally get on the 1st bus that came, but we do prefer the lynx as does not get so crowded & is alot more comfortable!!!

We used Lynx from Seaworld to get to Disney when we couldn't get the hotel shuttles (due to only going in the morning). We also used the lynx to get to premium, prime & Florida Mall outlets. This year I am hoping to get to celebration on the Lynx.

It is such a cheap way to get around & if you get the timing right, you hardly have any waiting around - the lynx drivers get fined if they are running late & therefore are more keen to make sure they are on time!