1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome both old friends and new to the all new Walt Disney Secrets :-D Please take a moment to say hi

Hallllooooooo!!!! LIVE FROM MK

Discussion in 'Walt Disney World' started by Tink, Jun 5, 2010.

1. keith

keith Camera nut Staff Member Administrator Forum Host

it was our first stay at a DVC so we didn't expect it BUT we did feel that the staff just sorta stared at us as we walked in/out which was a bit disconcerting.

Later on as we passed more guests in the corridors, we had a number of "Welcome homes" from them which was just weirdly nice :lol: and got chatting to one family who were REALLY put out about the lack of welcome from the lobby staff. They were going to complain about it they said!

2. Tink

Tink Cead Mille Failte! Staff Member Administrator

Yeah, well we don't go that far! :lol: But it is a real issue with most DVCers. "Welcome Home" is sort of a de rigeur sort of requirement, you know?

One woman who walked us to the "secret elevator" to the Top of the World Lounge did ask us (out of earshot of the lobby) where she could get a tshirt like ours (the "Marriage is so gay" one). She was a very quiet and almost solemn young woman.

The check in experience was a little weird too. We are certain that they goofed up our villa some how as it took several people and a managerial type to "finally" assign us a room... :shrug: Didn't realize that we were on the second floor until we got to the towers. I forced myself to not care about that as I was committed to not letting ANYTHING bother me for the entire weekend! :lol:

3. keith

yeah, I arrived outside the contemporary and said "where do I check in for BLT" the lady said, with a flourish of being too busy for stupid questions :lol: "over there at BLT". So over I go, lugging suitcases etc. only to find the only staff was a DVC person who told me to go back to the contemporary :/

Go back we did, waited in queue and as per your experience, took a while to assign our room and when it was assigned, second floor with a delicious (cough) view of the underside of the monorail.

Well given we'd paid a lot extra for MK view, I was a bit put out but really didn't want the hassle of complaining yah know? Anyway after stewing on it a bit, I decided it had to be done so back to contemporary checkin desk.

They initially said they had nothing available except a more expensive contemporary room. I said that wasn't good enough and they almost immediately came up with another two room suggestions. I said could I go over and try to see where they were to establish if they had a better view or not "no, once you leave the desk they will no longer be available to you" :/

So in the end just picked the highest sounding floor and went with it. The view in the end was absolutely spot on perfect but that they're selling the lower floors as MK views is out of order in my opinion. Notably different from the contemporary main where if you choose an MK view you will get a higher level because the lower ones aren't classed as theme park views.

4. Tink

See? That's what we thought too. We booked a LAGOON view, not a POOL view... However, the points are less for "that side" so meh...

Have to say wasn't overwhelmed with the friendliness of the whole experience but again, was totally committed to having a good weekend so refused to acknowledge it. :D :lol:

In our experience, nothing beats OKW for "WELCOME HOME!!!!" atmosphere and cordiality. We recognize our bias. :D

We did find the hallways a bit imposing and again, sterile. The overall effect we declared "Theme Jetsons" :laugh: not what the designers had in mind, I don't think.

It's really not a bad place, and like I say, perfect for MK visits, but it will never be our favorite.

5. keith

Yep I'd have to agree :yes: It's hard for the cynic in me not to think that every inch of space has been planned to the absolute minimum required in order to pack the place out with "usable" rooms.

Not at all bad no! I really loved the view we ended up with and the convenience of the MK pathway is just wonderful. I prefer the Contemporary itself though, I like the hustle bustle of the place along with the much larger rooms.

6. Tink

Larger than the studio you mean? :unsure:

Do you happen to have photos of both the studio and the Contemporary resort rooms? That would be a good comparison. :yes:

7. keith

ah yes, I must remember that to you DVC VIP people DVC resorts tend to mean large 1/2 bedroom villas :yes:

yep, the studio was long but very thin. Someone said it reminded them of an RV and I could see what they meant. Enough room for two people undeniably, but by no means spaceous.

Now you're asking a good question :lol: I bet I do yes. I'll try and dig them out :yes:

The contemporary room was just insanely large in comparison, better appointed in my opinion too. The new stuff, the wave, BLT, all have this kind of 60/70s fabric styling going on and you can tell they've tried to do it really well but it's on the edge of feeling a little tacky rather than oppulent.

8. Tinkfan

Tinkfan Earning my ears

:wave: And a wonderful time was had by all!! Did Herself enjoy "herself"! The pics are great and BLT looks amazing. I tried to book the Contemporary for November but alas all sold out I was told. It's been Tylers dream to stay there. BLT does look a little stark to me as well but amazing. It looks really crowded Sister Tink, were the crowds manageable?

9. Tink

It did get very busy very early (unlike last year where the attendance didn't build until after 2:00).

It was brutally hot, too which didn't much help. Manageable? Yes. We didn't do much other than stroll around and go on whatever attraction had the shortest line. :lol:

And yes, Herself (and I) did enjoy! :D

10. uscwest

uscwest Senior Cast Member

Great photos Tink. Thanks for sharing them.

I don't even understand how women can stand to walk in high heels let alone a man wearing them all day.

11. foreverducky

foreverducky Addicted to Mickey

Now Tink, you don't be down about those photos!:nono: They are great! :yes:

Looks like a wonderful visit. Wow, heels at WDW...I am truly impressed and in awe.

Thank you for sharing with us! :hug2:

12. Isafari

Isafari Wild Animal Expert

Truly wonderful photos Tink....every one of them :yes:

13. Tinkerbell

Tinkerbell Imagineer

Heels! :eek3: He's a braver man than me! :worship:

Fantastic pics sister Tink, thank you so much for sharing them with us :hug2:

14. Beccaberry

Beccaberry She's beccalicious! Forum Host

Thank you :hug2: for sharing your day with us :)

I saw Da Bears....they were uber friendly :)

And I'm dead jealous of that man's legs! WOWZA! :eek:

15. mumof2

mumof2 Serious Forum Regular

TINK!!!!!

I love your photos, i love your excitement and i love that you both had a wonderful weekend....you soooooo deserved it! :hug2::hug2:

16. Johnie

Johnie Budget Queen Forum Host

Thanks for sharing your enthusiasm and the photos!!

I had wanted to go to MK on Sat but after dealing with luggage checkin and all that it just seemed pointless to go to a park :sorry: BUT Rebecca and I did wear our shirts so we were there in spirit!!

17. Tink

Aren't those heels high! :eek: He was not having a bit of a problem either. His feet weren't red like you'd expect them to be ... honestly he walked just fine in them. I'd not be able to take a step! :embarassed:

18. Tink

Thank you Issy! :hug2:

19. Tink

They all were, weren't they? :yes: It was a day filled with smiles and laughter and silly innuedos. :yes:

His legs are pretty muscular, aren't they? See? He's figured out what women have known for years; as uncomfortable as those shoes are, they do wonderful things to the calves. :D

20. Tink

Me too, Sister Tinkerbell! :eek: Waaaay braver. :yes: I'm so happy that you like the photos! :hug2: