1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome both old friends and new to the all new Walt Disney Secrets :-D Please take a moment to say hi

Halloween ? please.

Discussion in 'Universal/Islands of Adventure' started by Esmeralda, Aug 2, 2014.

1. Esmeralda

Esmeralda Serious Forum Regular

How early in September can we go to also enjoy the Halloween Houses at Universal please?

2. Tony G

Tony G Serious Forum Regular

3. Esmeralda

Is that for next year Tony? and thank you.

4. Wendy

Wendy A hui hou kakou makuakane Staff Member Administrator

I think that will be for this year Esme, but it will be around the same time next year.

5. Tony G

Sorry Esme, I didn't realise you were enquiring about next year.

This year's HHN begins earlier than last year's did, if my memory serves me.

6. Esmeralda

Thank you all sorted :D

7. keith

keith Camera nut Staff Member Administrator Forum Host

Has anyone been to these universal horror nights before? We're not normally around at the right time but this year we could :)

I love halloween and horror etc. but DW is definitely more of a disney person :) Soooooo how hard core are these nights?

8. Vikki

Vikki Serious Forum Regular

They seem to be pretty scary! If you go to insidethemagic.net, they have a lot of good Halloween related stuff.

9. Tony G

In a word... AWESOME!!!

Ok, without the hyperbole, this time... The trip where I finally found my villa was around Halloween time, and I've always been a horror movie fan. This meant I couldn't resist at least one visit to the parks to check it out.

I had to decide which park to visit - I ruled out Disney because I fancied a proper scare and Busch Gardens because I'm not the park's biggest fan, leaving Universal (which I was most excited about visiting, anyway!).

FAIR WARNING: *CREEPY PICTURES BELOW*

As you can imagine, going through the buying process of a villa in only a week's stay meant I was really, really busy and every minute counted. I had decided, therefore, to 'pop in' for a couple of hours to check it out, just so I could say that I'd done it.

I duly queued at the park entrance at evening opening time (I think that was around 6pm?). The entrance was themed for the occasion:

P1160019.jpg

We all waited, while Universal put on a little show in the style of The Walking Dead, where we were warned about zombies having infiltrated the park and that we should get out while we can. This was a great way to begin the evening, especially as the orator died gruesomely at the end of her speech!

Throughout the park, there were 'scare-acters' made up like zombies, who couldn't resist a good photo op:

P1160072.jpg

Many on the usual attractions are still open, but there are also scare zones, which are really elaborate haunted houses, each with it's own theme. Generally, you're walking through darkened rooms and people/props/creatures will jump out and do their very best to scare the holy out of you. One of those when I visited was based around the capital punishment of a serial killer:

P1160048.jpg

The rest of the park is also treated to a spooky overlay:

P1160031.jpg

My favourite of which was the transformation of Mel's Drive in into 'Mel's Die In':

P1160080.jpg

There are also special shows, which are a welcome break allowing you to rest your feet. I watched the Bill and Ted show, which is a comical revisiting of many movies/events with a pop music soundtrack and scantily-clad women... what's not to like?! I got in trouble for taking this pic:

P1160092.jpg

By the time I was through, it was closing time and I stumbled out of the park at 01:30am, with my feet aching and a huge smile on my face.

P1160134.jpg

What had started with the intention of being a couple of hours of my evening ended up taking up half the night, and had it stayed open longer, I probably would have been there. I had a wonderful time and would go back in an instant... In fact, I'm trying to schedule my 2015 trips so I'll get to go again.

If any of the pics above are considered too creepy/spooky, I fully understand if someone removes them.

10. keith

keith Camera nut Staff Member Administrator Forum Host

Brilliant Tony many thanks and I think the photos are fine! :D

Tony G likes this.
  11. Tink

Tink Cead Mille Failte! Staff Member Administrator

I am a serious, a truly larger than life, Halloween wimp! :yes: Did not like the holiday as a kid, and used to ask to not go out.

You could not pay me enough to to to Horror Nights at US! :eek3: As much as I loved the MNSSHP parade, the headless horseman gave me the creeps.

12. sarah

sarah Addicted to Mickey

Pictures look great would love to be able to go at that time of year especially as my birthday is 1 November and DH and my 2 sons birthday is end of October
    But I am not aloud out of school and 1 week half term is long enough:(

Tony G likes this.
  13. Esmeralda

OMG I LOVE LOVE LOVE Universal Horror nights. My one big tip is this. BUY a fast track pass for about £30 per person it's worth it because the queues can be horrendous and you may only get to go through two haunted houses whereas with the fast track pass you will be able to see four or five instead.

Waste of money to just be able to see two houses inmo. There is alcohol served if you want it. I got chased down the street by some witches and a weirdo wielding a chain saw LMAO... brilliant fun and we're doing it again next year.

The theming and makeup is brilliant... in one house a guy was slumped in an armchair and I leant over him loudly telling all who was in earshot that *he* definitely was not real, you could easily tell it was a dummy by the hands.... then he jumped up and I screamed the place down.... and don't forget to look up Bwahahahaha!

14. Oreo

Oreo Addicted to Mickey

Jess is the same. My brother and his gf are off to HHN while me and Jess will be booking into one of the Disney Spa's.

Thanks for this, I will pass the info onto my brother. He has a pass which allows him to get into HHN's a few times during our trip but I know he'll want to do as much as he can so the pass maybe useful.

Do you know if you can buy it on the day?

15. Esmeralda

I don't know and I'm not sure if it is only for that evening?

16. Tink

Tink Cead Mille Failte! Staff Member Administrator

I truly, truly worry about you Esmeralda. Really. I do. :uhh:

Esmeralda likes this.
  17. Esmeralda

Ha! I am completely deaf in one ear and very low hearing in the other... long story... and Alan was behind me when we walked through the houses and said that I should have seen their faces when they came rushing up to me from the side and rattled doors and shrieked at me right in my face (to the side of me) and I didn't even flinch lol. That's because I couldn't hear them and didn't know they were there!

Would have loved to have seen their faces lol when I didn't even blink.

18. Deafjeff

Deafjeff Serious Forum Regular

That has happened to me few times :wiggle:

Esmeralda likes this.