1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome both old friends and new to the all new Walt Disney Secrets :-D Please take a moment to say hi

Halloween

Discussion in 'General' started by Suebeattie, Sep 11, 2013.

1. Suebeattie

Suebeattie Addicted to Mickey

Hi not sure if this is the right place for this topic but I'm looking for some advice from American residents and people have been to Orlando at Halloween.

We are planning on visiting celebration on Halloween night and as Halloween is a lot bigger over the pond than it is here, is there anything we should know and is there any "rules" or etiquette when it comes to trick or treating?

Any suggestions of must see things on Halloween night greatly appreciated :). We are doing mnsshp on 29th.

2. Johnie

Johnie Budget Queen Forum Host

Back in the dark ages when I was a youngster, truck or treating actually took place on Halloween night. I've noticed a trend of some communities having trick or treating on a Friday or Saturday night instead. Maybe the town of Celebration has a website and they have the info.

If porch lights are off then the house is not participating

Our area typically starts at dusk and goes till 8-9ish.

3. Tink

Tink Cead Mille Failte! Staff Member Administrator

It's nice to have a child say "Trick or Treat!" when you open the door. :yes: If the basket (or candy container) is held out to them, it's polite to select just one item. Thank yous are nice, too! Staying together with the parents is important. Unfortunately, even in Celebration there is going to be some sort of weirdo running around. Examine all candies and treats and discard anything that isn't pre-wrapped from a store. Oh, and be sure to dress up! It's really no fun when kids come to the door without a costume. It's usually the older teens that do that though. Once the porch light goes out, that means they've run out of treats (or simply are going to bed).

Some communities have a curfew for Halloween. They only allow trick or treating until a certain hour then everyone has to go home. They used to allow trick or treating at Downtown Disney, but I don't know if they do that anymore.

4. Suebeattie

Ah fab thanks. We will be getting the kids dressed up as we'll still have their costumes from mnsshp.
    Not sure if we'll actually trick or treat yet may just go grab some dinner and then have a wander around.
    If there are kids already at the door do the next lot wait at the end of the path until they leave or can you just go up?
    :)

5. uscwest

uscwest Senior Cast Member

It is quite common for lots of children to show up at the door at once. You don't have to wait. Just don't push any others out of the way.

6. Suebeattie

Well the kids may not push other kids out the way but when it comes to sweets and chocolate I can't say I will be as well behaved lol

Thanks for all the advice :)

7. Tink

Tink Cead Mille Failte! Staff Member Administrator

I've always had the boy wait if others were at the door when he arrived. We just stand to the side as the "first comers" are given their treats. Once they move away, we then approach. Keeps things from getting too chaotic for the home owner.

8. Slowhand

Slowhand Cruise Director Forum Host

We were in Celebration a few years ago for Haloween, and apart from the usual problem of locating a parking spot, found it a great time to visit.
    Some of the houses really go to town with their decorations, quite unlike anything seen here in the UK.

9. Suebeattie

I've heard it can be hard to park/ a lot of traffic, what sort of time did you get there?

10. Slowhand

Slowhand Cruise Director Forum Host

We actually went with Wendy and her DH and if I recall, it would have been around 7.30 pm or thereabouts when we got there.
    Some of the residents were offering parking spaces on some of their land [at a small fee of course :lol:], however we were lucky to find a spot in the street not far from Market Street which was great.
    To be honest, the lack of parking areas in Celebration is my only gripe about the place.
    When we first went there many years ago, there was a huge parking area across the main street by the lake, however this has now been developed and the entire area there is for residents only.

11. Suebeattie

Thanks slowhand :)