1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome both old friends and new to the all new Walt Disney Secrets :-D Please take a moment to say hi

hand luggage questions

Discussion in 'Transportation & Travel' started by wishesandpixiedust, Jun 15, 2010.

1. wishesandpixiedust

wishesandpixiedust Earning my ears

Most of the airlines seem to have really low limits on hand luggage, 6kg on virgin for example

do they really stick to it and how do you all manage? what bags do you use for carry ons and how come I always see people lugging huge bags and getting away with it

2. Slowhand

Slowhand Cruise Director Forum Host

In many cases [excuse the pun :lol:] I reckon that it is down to the individual at the check in desk.
    I am amazed at the size of some folks` carry on items though...and these are usually the first to moan when they struggle to fit them in the overhead lockers at the expense of others who are more sensible about the issue.

We were flying PE with VA a few years ago and we had a "jobsworth" at the desk who made me put around 1kg of my hand baggage into a bag that she gave me, even though my bag wasn`t big, it apparently weighed 1kg too much.
    The daft thing is that there was nothing to stop me from putting that VA bag back into my bag after we had left the desk!

3. Tink

Tink Cead Mille Failte! Staff Member Administrator

Good grief. That sort of thing makes me crazy. Had something similar happen on a flight to California. Made us stuff our cases into a measuring rack. Mine fit, if I pushed it. They made me take out one pair of shoes so it would drop in by itself. :rolleyes:

Yep. Got around the corner and stuck the shoes right back in the case. Twits.

4. simonwebb74

simonwebb74 Earning my ears

On our flight to Turkey last week, we only had hand luggage due to the ridiculously high extra charge for suitcases.

At Gatwick they weighed all 4 bags but coming home they didn't even look at the bags let alone weight them.

We have Tripp Superlight inflight cases which are great because they are as big as is aloud but only weight 1kg and the kids love wheeling them around at the airport so it saves me carrying them all :thumbsup: Expensive though unless you get them on sale :yes:

5. keith

keith Camera nut Staff Member Administrator Forum Host

Thanks Simon, I'd heard they were good! Off to google!

As Slowhand says, it's whether you get a jobsworth or not. On a trip with BA back from Washington once, my case was checked in and THEN she decided to weigh my carry on. Was too heavy with a laptop in and some power supplies and my case had gone, so I had to check a totally inappropriate hand luggage bag into the hold. Arrived in the uk to find it half open on the conveyer with lots of stuff missing. Worst of all was a ton of photo films of my visit that had gone :(

Virgin a couple of years ago had a go at us because we were bringing back a large plush mickey as a present. MUST fit in the bag if you want to take it she said. Despite it weighing next to nothing etc but oh no, HAD to squash it into a bag.

I'd never encourage people being sarcy to folks just doing their job but I did laugh earlier this year when the lady in front of me had her luggage disputed because she was 0.5KG over and she said something like "You know, I really think you may have serious control issues, probably because you feel so out of control in your normal life you want to try and exert what little power you have here darling"

meeeowwww

6. uscwest

uscwest Senior Cast Member

When Donna and I came back from the UK in 2007 we were only allowed to go through security with 1 piece of hand luggage. They didn't weigh it but we had to jam a lot of stuff into one bag. Of course once we got through security we were able to repack everything the way we had it in the first place.

7. Kate

Kate Serious Forum Regular

Do they really think people dont repack everything once out of sight? They cant seriously believe people leave things in the carrier bag?!

8. keith

I always think the same Kate :yes: honestly some common sense would be nice wouldn't it :yes:

9. daveann

daveann Addicted to Mickey

im gonna be in the minority here i can tell but what the heck do you need all that stuff in the cabin for? i take my handbag and Dave takes his camera and thats it, i even take our sandwiches in my handbag then i come to put my medium size handbag in the overheads only to see all these huge cases and no room for my bag.
    sorry just how i see things :)

10. keith

I know what you mean, the thing is once I put my laptop and camera in my carry on, that's pretty much 6KG right there! add a couple of journals and some headphones and :/

11. Tink

Tink Cead Mille Failte! Staff Member Administrator

I agree for the most part Daveann. :yes: However, I sometimes have to carry sensitive equipment on board that I don't need for the flight, just can't trust it to checked luggage.

I too get discouraged when I take my very small bag and cannot find space for it. Last time the space under the seat in front of me was being used by someone else! :sigh:

I honestly think that airlines need to be consistent. If there are going to be limits on number of carryons, and sizes of those carry ons, then they need to enforce that across the board. Honestly, some folks get on with enough stuff to set up housekeeping at their destination!

12. MystikPiglit

MystikPiglit Peace, Love and Mickey Mouse

VA check-in were being very particular on our last trip, but luckily the allowance is 1 carry-on plus a handbag. Both of mine are always stuffed. :lol:

Some of the best lightweight luggage/cabin bags are KIPLING. Very hardwearing too. :thumbsup:

13. Kate

Kate Serious Forum Regular

I always have lots of bits in my handluggage. usually theres stuff in there from an overnight stay at the hotel aswell as cameras, camcorder etc. however, most of the stuff that ends up in mine is actually bought in the departure lounge before we board and thats what really fills it up - and its usually food, well, bags filled with air and a bit of food at the bottom of them, otherwise known as crisps!!