1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome both old friends and new to the all new Walt Disney Secrets :-D Please take a moment to say hi

Handmade gifts for fundraising..ideas needed!

Discussion in 'Arts, Crafts & Scrapbooking' started by mumof2, Oct 8, 2011.

1. mumof2

mumof2 Serious Forum Regular

Here's the loooong background story! Sharon, Sally and I all worked in the offices of our local water company. I left many years ago, Sally is still there as was Sharon until she had to retire due to her illness.

At Sharons funeral donations totalling £720 were given for the hospice where she was wonderfully cared for.

I arranged to go into the water company to sell our handmade cards and gifts in a bid to raise more funds, which I did yesterday and raised £100. Some people bought, some people just came along and gave me money. It was lovely as I caught up with some old faces I haven't seen for years and there were some tears for my lovely sister.

They had a 'dress down' day too where everbody wears casual clothes and donates to whichever charity is being supported on the day. For Sharon, and to coincide with the card sale, they decided to dedicate yesterday to the hospice. I don't know how much they collected yet.

Anyway, to get to the point, some people asked if I could go in again before Christmas so I MAY contact the powers that be next week to ask whether that would be possible.

If I do I think I will just go with the Christmas theme. Our past 2 sales have been cards for various occasions, cushions, knitted and crocheted shoulder bags, textile art, fabric covered trinket boxes, knitted and sequined brooches and small padded hanging fabric hearts.

Soooo, I'm wondering what sort of little handmade gifts YOU would like to see on a Christmas craft stall? :eek:)

2. Tink

Tink Cead Mille Failte! Staff Member Administrator

I like whimsical things... so for Christmas I would like to see some type of ornaments that could be used on a tree. Or even memory baubles... the basic round tree ornament painted with a person's name... that sort of thing?

I love faeries as you know, so anything to do with Christmas faeries would be great! Cards, or again ornaments of some sort.

I have a faerie who is cloth, but poseable. She must have some sort of wire in her to allow me to have her "sit"...

Not explaining it well, I know. :(

You are such a wonderful person for doing all of this Mairead.

3. Kate

Kate Serious Forum Regular

Homemade christmas cards, xmas decs that the kids would love (pine cones that sort of thing), christmas gift bags, little stocking fillers (just little knick knacks in an organza bag) - that sort of thing!

4. mumof2

Thank you Tink, I'm doing this because it gives me a purpose which I need right now. :hug2:

I have thought about trying some ornaments so will look for easy peasey instructions! Also the faeries sounds interesting but I'm not sure my sewing skills are up to that.

Mum will knit/crochet some more little girls bags in Christmas colours, the ones she made for the past 2 sales are so cute!

Sharon has a big box of handmade soaps and bath bubbles at home somewhere so I'll look those out to sell too.

5. Kate

christmas cakes!

6. Tink

Tink Cead Mille Failte! Staff Member Administrator

I know of one type of ornament. Herself's niece did this for her mother...

Purchased white pearlized Christmas decorations (plain balls). Used puff paint in a squeeze tube to write each person's name on a separate ornament. Herself's mother still puts them on her tree each year.

Very simple, and pretty. Easy to personalize with names or anniversaries, ect. :yes:

7. mumof2

stocking fillers....mmm, what about small notebooks and pens that i could maybe cover in fabric?

8. mumof2

oooh that sounds interesting! :thumbsup:

9. mumof2

That scares me!

10. Kate

I dont mean the "proper" christmas cake, mean cupcake sort of things that people can buy to have with a cup of tea! Could you do a little cake sale type of thing too, you know like at christmas fete/jumble sale type thingy?! :unsure:

Notebooks and pens sound good :yes:

What about some bookmarks? Or you could make some little jewellary and put it in the organza bags with little christmas confetti

11. mumof2

Bookmarks, yes! I'd forgotten about those and my Mum's been knitting birthday cakes, I forgot about those too! Maybe she could do some Chrismas cakes.

Not sure if i'd be able to sell real cakes as I'd be in the staff cafe area (which is Costa Coffee...nice move costa!) but have been thinking about a tombola, will have to check whether that would be allowed though.

Finding the right location to be able sell without having huge costs on pitch fees is not easy, i thought of having one at the middle school Matthew attended but their fee was £15 or so for a table....is it me or is that crazy? :unsure:

And the jewellery sounds like a nice idea too...

12. Kate

That does seem alot - have you told them its for the hospice? Seems unfair to charge like that when its going to such a good cause

13. mumof2

To be honest that was last years price, I need to pop in there soon anyway so maybe I will ask again.

14. Deafjeff

Deafjeff Serious Forum Regular

That such a wonderful thing to do :hug2:

I quite like fabric ornament which stuffed with cotton wool and few drop of christmas spices and it smells so lovely!

15. mumof2

Nice idea Jeff, we could do fabric ornaments I'm sure. :thumbsup:

16. Deafjeff

If you make some extras, I'll buy some off from you so I can contribute to the hospice too (I'll cover the cost of the postage too.)

17. mumof2

Oh bless you Jeff, that's very kind.:hug2:

Not saying I will defo make them but tell me about the shape of the ornaments? I'm concerned about the spices as the fragrance would wear off wouldn't it?

I was thinking about padded hearts in Christmas fabrics too.

18. Britchick

Britchick Serious Forum Regular

on the ornaments side go into your local garden centre, there are lots of ornaments there to get inspiration i've seen a lot this year and thought wow i could make that so easily - i like the christmas hearts etc.

you can't go wrong with a cupcake either :tongue:

19. Deafjeff

Quite like Christmas heart :yes:

You could add scent oil every day for few days and it should last longer, maybe add couple of drops before you sew it up?

20. Kate

If i had a christmas dec i really liked it wouldnt worry me if the scent had worn off!