1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome both old friends and new to the all new Walt Disney Secrets :-D Please take a moment to say hi

Harry Potter ride breaks down stranding passengers

Discussion in 'Universal/Islands of Adventure' started by Dawn, Jul 24, 2010.

1. Dawn

Dawn carpe diem-ing Forum Host

from WESH

132 Evacuated When Harry Potter Ride Breaks Down

A new ride at Universal's Islands of Adventure broke down Friday night, leaving riders stranded.

Orlando Fire Department officials responded to 911 calls at about 8:15 p.m. There were 132 people on the ride, and OFD officials said all passengers had been removed without medical complaints as of 9:45 p.m.

Universal officials only said that a ride was stuck and crews were attempting to evacuate guests. They would not initially say which ride was affected.

WESH 2's Michelle Meredith confirmed that it was the new attraction "Harry Potter and the Forbidden Journey" in the Wizarding World of Harry Potter.

The same ride came to a standstill with a WESH 2 crew on board in June. The breakdown left reporter Amanda Ober and photographer Scott Pisczek lying horizontal on their backs with their legs up in the air.

OFD officials said one rider called 911 when the roller coaster stopped Friday night because he thought he was upside down. However, Universal officials said the Forbidden Journey ride doesn't go upside down.

An OFD official told WESH 2 that there was some sort of mechanical issue on the ride. He said the evacuations proceeded smoothly, without panic or injury. Guests used the provided catwalks and ladders to exit the Forbidden Journey.

In all, 52 cars full of passengers were unloaded as Universal worked to repair the Harry Potter ride.

Universal officials said the ride will be up and running Saturday morning.

2. Kate

Kate Serious Forum Regular

Oh good grief!!! It does happen though doesnt it, just thank goodness nobody was hurt or anything

3. Britchick

Britchick Cast Member

The breaking down doesn't worry me it's the thought of being lied flat with my legs in the air! WTH does the ride do to you? Lol

4. Kate

Kate Serious Forum Regular

Think id rather be laying horizontal with my legs up in the air than horizontal with my legs dangling down!