1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome both old friends and new to the all new Walt Disney Secrets :-D Please take a moment to say hi

Has anyone been to Disneyland before

Discussion in 'Disneyland Resort and California Adventure' started by Wendy, Jul 15, 2008.

1. Wendy

Wendy A hui hou kakou makuakane Staff Member Administrator

We went a few years back but we didn't have long there as we were visiting lots of other areas as well.

It is out plan to go back next year and I wondered what things we really shouldn't miss this time :D

2. Taja

Taja Earning my ears

I grew up there, which isn't much use at the moment! Last visit was 2006--and it was crazybusy!

Johnie will be going in August, so she should be able to help when she returns.

3. Johnie

Johnie Budget Queen Forum Host

:wave: yes, I will be going in less than a month!!! i'll make sure to give a full trip report when I get back

4. Wendy

:smiley4: great thank you. I've got lots of photos from last time, but I can't remember as much as I can about our trips to WDW.

There is a show in a circular theatre and it's narrated by Whoopi Goldberg it's about how the settlers came to California it was really good and it's nice to sit somewhere cool for a while.

5. BevW

BevW Addicted to Mickey

We"ve been every years since 2006 and we love it!
    The Mother Nature show is in California Adventure and it's pretty cool. I love Paradise Pier...well, except for the swinging cage of death...ew...Hollywood studios is also good. I like the Tortilla factory tour and the sour dough bread tour..especially the samples :)
    Can you tell I like California Adventure? :)

Oh don't miss the Indiana Jones ride! It's nothing like the Indy Jones attraction at WDW.

PsychoAlice....where are you girl? Wendy needs help here.

6. Tink

Tink Cead Mille Failte! Staff Member Administrator

We've been! We went this spring. It was a nice experience.

We really enjoyed the Disneyland Hotel. We LOVED the Tinkerbell border! :yes: The suite that we had was perfect for us. Our relatives (Dad and two girls) had one bedroom with two queens, tv, and bath and our side had a small kitchen (no microwave :confused: ) lovely size living room with large tv and dvd player, half bath, master suite with full bath. There were three balconies, one of which had chairs and a table.

The parks were nice, and very different in many ways from WDW. :yes: We didn't do some things that I wanted, but that is just a reason to return! :D

They were testing the new monorails when we were there. Man, are those things jazzy looking and seemingly fast! :yes:

We enjoyed walking through DTD to get to the parks. One day we took the monorail, the other day we walked.

We explored the Grand Californian and were surprised to discover we didn't much care for it. It's dark, and somewhat gloomy. The interior was confusing and the layout strange. I'm sure many folks really like it, but we wouldn't be quick to stay there. We never got over to the other resort, The Pier. It looked like fun though!

There was construction going on when we were there, and that made for some confusion on trying to get to the check in lobby.

Ooops. Gotta run. Will add more later!

7. Taja

Taja Earning my ears

There's a really weird staircase that ends abruptly in the GC. Almost as if it should be in the Haunted Mansion! :lol:

8. Tink

Tink Cead Mille Failte! Staff Member Administrator

I thought the GC was vaugely reminiscent of WL. WL being far preferable. There didn't seem to be much life there, I guess. All that dark green and rather blah.

9. foreverducky

foreverducky Addicted to Mickey

I've been, but it was a long, long time ago. :D I wouldn't be much help.

10. PsychoAlice

PsychoAlice Resident Anarchist

Oh my what not to miss...ride wise? historical wise? Food wise?

11. Wendy

Everything and anything PA :D

12. Dawn

Dawn carpe diem-ing Forum Host

I went in 1991 for 1 day. Is that any good? :lol:

13. Wendy

:lol: We only had 1 and a bit days Dawn and a lot of things were closed for refurbishment.

I haven't even told Chris yet that I plan on visiting next year whilst we stop over in LA :lol: :lol:

14. Taja

Taja Earning my ears

Good, unpretentious food at the Storyteller Cafe in the GC.

Really don't know what attractions you should plan--it was so crazybusy when we were there that we only managed four or five attractions at each park. 'Course we didn't even get into a park until about 4:00 p.m. the first day and 2:00 p.m. the second day--that's a whole 'nother story!

15. BevW

BevW Addicted to Mickey

Oh I love eating at the Hungry Bear and sitting outside and watching the boats go by!
    That's the Columbia and the canoes and stuff.

16. PsychoAlice

PsychoAlice Resident Anarchist

Ill agree with Bev...Burgers at the Hungry bear...

Allllllright....Im gonna do 1 land a day.

Adventureland. First up is the Tiki Room, the original, the first audio animatronics, Walt first put Jose in the front of Adventureland but had to take him down because it would cause a bottle neck. Did you know that the Tiki Room was thought out to be a restaurant? Thats why there are restrooms inside!

Indian Jones and the temple of the forbidden eye: The truck on the outside is one that was ACTUALLY IN Indian Jones movie. Quick fact: when Harrison Ford visited Disneyland for the opening of the ride the CM took him on a tour of DL. They went over to Star Tours and the CM started talking about Star Wars. Harrison just smartly said "Uhh yea I was there!...OK .. the ride vehicles are like those you ride on Dinosaur at Animal Kingdom. You can never have the same experience on Indian Jones. While youre in the movie room, go all the way to the front of the room...turn around and look up by the proector..Look for the Dumbo sign. This is one of the original parking signs. This is a ride that no one will ever feel like it was a waste of time.

Jungle Cruise: Like WDW this ride is made after the movie "The Africian Queen" with Katherine Hepburn and Humphrey Bogart. Robin Williams was a past skipper.

Tarzans tree house...ehhh not too much to say about it..its like the Swiss Famly tree house only its now Tarzan..it makes my knees hurt just thinking about it!

Shopping in Adventureland:
    Adventureland Bazaar. This is the largest place to shop in Adventureland. You can pick up Alladian, Finding Nemo and Lilo and Stitch merch here.There is a place to make wicked cool bracelets. There is also a magic lamp in the back. Want to know your fortune? Drop a couple quarters...

Indiana Jones Adventure Outpost: for the love of all things Indiana Jones! I love this place! You just cant get any shrunken heads anymore!

South Sea Traders: featuring No Fear and Quicksilver clothing.

Tropical Imports: Jungle stuff. Rubber snakes and the like.

Restaurants:
    Bengal BBQ...when this place is open this place is great for a snack!!

Indy Fruit Cart: pretty self explanitory...just remember that you are in California and it is the best place on the planet to get fresh fruit!

Tiki Juice Bar: GET YOUR DOLE WHIP ON!!

17. BevW

BevW Addicted to Mickey

This is a perfect day! Sounds like one of mine! :lol:

18. Mandy

Mandy Earning my ears

We have been twice once in 1998 and once in 2001 and going back again in September and can't wait. :)
    I know their are lots of new things at Disneyland and California Adventure since we were last there so I am really excited. :)

19. Tinker

Tinker Earning my ears

We're finally going to Disneyland... when the Disney Wonder cruises to Hawaii . California & Hawaii in one trip . :mental: Want to wait, Wendy, dear .

20. Mari

Mari Serious Forum Regular

Have only been there once, ages ago...

I found disneyland to be quite small compared to the Magic Kingdom... I LOVED the feeling of being THERE.... walking down Main Street, reading all the names on the windows, riding the Materhorn... it was a great trip!