1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome both old friends and new to the all new Walt Disney Secrets :-D Please take a moment to say hi

Has anyone been to the new animal kingdom lodge area?

Discussion in 'Resorts, Hotels, DVC, Villas' started by Disfan, Oct 24, 2009.

1. Disfan

Disfan Forum Sponsor

Just wodnered if anyone had been to the new part of the animal kingdom lodge yet or tried the new sanaa restaurant?
  2. Slowhand

Slowhand Cruise Director Forum Host

We went there a few weeks ago and it is a lovely place.
    We had lunch there at Sanna`s which was very good. Details and a few photos may be found towards the end of my trip report here.
  3. keith

keith Camera nut Staff Member Administrator Forum Host

We're staying at AKL next week :wiggle: so hope to have a walk around. I Dont think we're in time to get a reservation at Sanna though :(
  4. lisaw

lisaw Serious Forum Regular

We stayed at Kidani in August and ate at Saana - it was one of my favourite meals of the holiday! The Samosas were the best I have ever had :yes:
  5. BigThunder

BigThunder a cool thingy

Oh I can't wait to stay in the official new DVC rooms! I stayed in one of the old rooms converted a couple years back & it was very, very nice but really want to see the new building with all the new stuff. Especially the pool!!
  6. uscwest

uscwest Senior Cast Member

We have eaten there and really enjoyed it. Keith, check at AKL and see if the concierge can get you the ADR.
  7. keith

keith Camera nut Staff Member Administrator Forum Host

Thanks John! I'm studying Terry's trip report at the moment and I think we'll have to try and get there during our stay :yes:
  8. Tink

Tink Cead Mille Failte! Staff Member Administrator

OMG! We've just come from a weekend stay at Kidani Village. It was so wonderful that Herself wants to buy more points there! :eek: That's amazing since we already have quite a few DVC points in our original contract.

The pool area is wonderful. So beautiful and relaxing and very themed! The kids will love it, but adults will too. The bloody Marys at the pool bar are a nice way to start a Sunday. :D

We dined at Sanaa on a walk up. The new Disney ADR system is TERRIBLE. I can't believe that they aren't losing tons of money. We asked at check in about Sanaa that night. No, she didn't recommend a walk up, but feel free to use the house phone to call for an ADR. We went down to Sanaa and asked. Yep. They could seat us right then. Of course, we didn't want to eat then. They couldn't do an ADR. We went back up to concierge and asked about an ADR, and was told the system wouldn't allow it for the time we wanted. When we were ready to eat we went back to Sanaa and walked in!

I'm telling you, the ADR system is beyond useless. :sigh:

At any rate, I do have photos and am hoping to have some moments to make them small enough to post.

Sanaa: Food was ok. We were totally unimpressed with the server. She did start out by saying she was "having a day." Yep. She was! :sigh:

Will report more later.
  9. Slowhand

Slowhand Cruise Director Forum Host

That is terrible Tink.
    However your comments about the ADR system employed at the WDW restaurants have been echoed to me by many CM`s that I know.
    I reckon it`s about time that Disney sorted out the mess caused by this system along with their various dining plans etc. :furious:
  10. Mari

Mari Serious Forum Regular

We loved Kidani... we thought the buildings are better placed around the savannah, with magnificent views of the animals!

The lookouts with the rocking chairs are by far better than the ones and Jambo House.

Sanaa... we had a DELICIOUS meal, it was one of the highlights of the trip.... Just thinking about it makes my mouth water... and we were seated very close to a window, so watching the animals go by while we ate was simple spectacular
  11. BigThunder

BigThunder a cool thingy

I haven't researched all the new stuff at AKL since the addition of the DVC part (yeah, I need to read my Disney Insider magazine better, lol). But am I to understand then, that there is a new restaurant AND a new food court? Or no?? I was thinking in the mag I saw a new food court pictured that was very nicely themed but didn't think that was a restaurant. So now in total there would be 3 sit down restaurants plus 2 food courts?
  12. Mari

Mari Serious Forum Regular

Im not sure about a food court in Kidani, since its mostly villas with kitchens in them..

however, yes, there is a new restaurant, Sanaa, its supposed to be Indian :)

we thought it was delicious

The only thing we HATED about Kidani was the bus stop!!! they were working on a new bus stop, but when we went, it was just one place for all buses to drop and pick people, and sometimes there was aline of 5 or 6 buses waiting because there simply wasnt enough space to park
  13. uscwest

uscwest Senior Cast Member

Kidani Village is actually a totally separate set of buildings from AKL. You can walk to it from AKL, take the bus, or drive. Sanaa, per se is not an Indian restaurant, but it does have lots of curries on the menu.
  14. Tinker

Tinker Earning my ears

I thought that was you Sister Tink . I'm always afraid to say something and be wrong . You looked straight at me too . Kidani was wonderful . My hair is now an auburn color and I was wearing my contacts . OMGosh, I could kick myself now for not saying something . You look Great ! Lost a lot of weight since I saw you last and I gained . You cannot imagine how mad I am at myself right now . We even smiled in passing . ARGHHHHH !!!
  15. Tink

Goodness! Well, clearly I didn't recognize you! We loved the place, hope you did too!
  16. Tinker

Tinker Earning my ears

It was so lovely that Jim and I would pay to stay at The Lodge . We did not have a savannah view , but we went outside , you know where , near Saunas and took pictures of those gorgeous giraffes .
  17. Tink

The giraffes were beautiful weren't they? Did you see the baby giraffe?

Herself and I were watching the animals from the library area one morning and jokingly said to one another, "LOOK! Turkeys!" when we saw the ostriches. Someone thought we were SERIOUS! :laugh: Needless to say, we didn't try to defend ourselves. :lol:

I particularly loved the artifacts throughout the resort, and in Sanaa. They are incredible. Did you see the necklaces along the back wall of Sanaa?

We had a one bedroom, and it was wicked nice. We wanted to call Seth and his Da to come and join us! They don't have reliable transport though, so we didn't. We'll be staying there again though, and will have them with us. I think Seth would get a big kick out of the convertible easy chair!
  18. Beccaberry

Beccaberry She's beccalicious! Forum Host

Reviving and old thread, I know...but Tink, I was hoping you'd tell us more about your meal as Sanaa? Looking at perhaps trying it out in the next trip or so....
  19. Tink

You know? I just deleted those notes from my iPhone today! :eek: :sigh:

(THE DROID IS HERE)! :9:

Ok, we didn't care for it, that much we made clear. The restaurant presents itself as some what "Indian" but it's really not.

We found the food to be less than what it would be in any decent Indian restaurant. Flavor wise, I mean. :sorry:

It's worth the trip to maybe have a drink and a browse as it's a cool restaurant... but to actually plan on eating there? Nah. Save it for Jiko... or even Boma.
  20. Beccaberry

Beccaberry She's beccalicious! Forum Host

YAY FOR THE DROID!!!!

Thanks for the input...I was actually trying to decide between Jiko's and Sanaa and what was guiding me was the "Indian" concept itself, as I LOVE Indian food...especially spicy Indian food...so to hear THAT bit wasn't up to par may definitely sway my decision.

Thanks Tink!