1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome both old friends and new to the all new Walt Disney Secrets :-D Please take a moment to say hi

Has anyone done a timeshare exchange with RCI?

Discussion in 'Resorts, Hotels, DVC, Villas' started by DisneyFreak, Jul 8, 2013.

1. DisneyFreak

DisneyFreak Serious Forum Regular

We have a timeshare and we currently are members of Interval International and have been since we bought our timeshare in 2001. We used to be able to exchange with the Disney Vacation Club Resorts with Interval up until a few years ago. Now you can only exchange with Disney if you belong to RCI. Luckily, our timeshare can be exchanged with both Interval and RCI so we just need to become RCI members.

Before we join RCI, I wanted to get some feedback on RCI and what people thought of them and their exchange process. I don't want to give up Interval because when we don't go to Disney we exchange a lot with Marriott Resorts and have stayed and some awesome Marriott Resorts and Marriott is not part of RCI. So basically we'll be paying double fees to be able to exchange with both.

So, does anyone have any experience with RCI?

Thanks! :yes:
  2. Johnie

Johnie Budget Queen Forum Host

I am with RCI. What do you want to know?
  3. DisneyFreak

Have you ever exchanged for a Disney Vacation Club Resort and are they all available for exchange?

What is RCI's exchange process like?
  4. Johnie

No I have never exchanged for DVC. I have never actually had it as an option when I exchange. I have seen it available if I want to buy an additional vacation. I know OKW is on there frequently but I haven't paid much attention.

I still use the weeks exchange even though most people are now using points. I bank my week at the home resort at Massanutten and then I check Orlando. I can do it online and pay the $170 exchange fee. That's for the week. It's pretty easy. I've never had a problem with RCI.
  5. DisneyFreak

I can imagine it's difficult to get into one of the DVC resorts. It was that way when they were exchanging with Interval as well.

This sounds very similar to Interval. We bank our week at our home resort in Vegas then we go online at Interval and start checking destinations. We also deposit by week. Our exchange rate is slightly cheaper at $149 but it's a wonderful value. For example, the Marriott resort we are staying at in August is currently going at a rate of $379 a night and we're getting the whole week at $149.

I've read with RCI where you have a better chance at getting certain resorts/room types the further out you book compared to your home resort deposit time. Is this true?

Also, with RCI, when you deposit your home resort you can only exchange for the same type of room you deposit. For example, if you deposit a 1 bedroom you can only exchange for a 1 bedroom. Is this true?
  6. Johnie

I think the exchange rate is actually cheaper than what I stated but I'm not sure. Awesome deal!

I can only book an exchange 60 days out. I have been able to get 2 and 3 bedrooms at times. Just depends on when you are going. There is always something available in Orlando.
  7. DisneyFreak

Thanks for your help Johnie. :)