1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome both old friends and new to the all new Walt Disney Secrets :-D Please take a moment to say hi

Has anyone stayed at the Ft. Wilderness Cabins?

Discussion in 'Resorts, Hotels, DVC, Villas' started by Mari, Sep 20, 2011.

1. Mari

Mari Serious Forum Regular

In the pictures they look like the perfect place for us

However, we never have a car at Disney, and Im wondering if being in such a massive resort, having to take buses to move inside it and making travel times super long will be a bit too much on our 2 little ones

Any info is appreciated :)

2. Tink

Tink Cead Mille Failte! Staff Member Administrator

It is a big resort, that's for sure. I know we don't go there often because it feels so cumbersome to get around.

However, there are so many really neat things to do, we'll be rethinking our idea of cumbersome!

3. gwennie81

gwennie81 Earning my ears

I had the pleasure of staying at Ft. Wilderness a couple months ago.

We stayed in a camper but we drove (the golf cart) past the cabins. They looked really nice.

You can rent golf carts to get around within the resort. Also, a lot of people bring bikes (or their own golf carts).

There are busses that run throughout the resort. The trick is catching the correct one. There is the bus to the main building and then from there you can catch busses to other areas/resorts. But the busses only run periodically. You'll have to get a schedule when you get there.

There is a TON of fun stuff to do at this resort. I hope you decide to stay!

4. Johnie

Johnie Budget Queen Forum Host

I've never stayed there but it looks so nice. We've been there at Christmas and people decorate their cabins, golf carts, bikes, etc.

5. Mari

Mari Serious Forum Regular

cumberstone makes me afraid :)

I know there are buses, but I have read they dont run frequently ...

Im just a scaredy cat... with two little ones, Ill take all the comforts I can get!

6. Tink

Tink Cead Mille Failte! Staff Member Administrator

The last time we were there (in August) I mentioned that I'd like to try the cabins. Herself commented that there was no place to park the car (at the cabin). However, we did see some cabins with cars parked right outside the cabin.

I'd say check into that before making a final decision. Would you have a rental at all (I believe you said no?)? If so, would you be able to park it in front of the cabin/at the cabin? That would cut down on your need for the internal buses.

We've had to wait up to twenty minutes for an internal bus. We'd have walked but were't quite sure how to get back to the area that we had to leave the car! It's a huge place, that's for sure. :yes: