1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome both old friends and new to the all new Walt Disney Secrets :-D Please take a moment to say hi

has anyone tried the dolphin resort?

Discussion in 'Resorts, Hotels, DVC, Villas' started by luvthemansion, Feb 15, 2009.

1. luvthemansion

luvthemansion Imagineer

The walt disney world dolphin resort has some good rates for teachersthis year and im wondering if its a good place to stay? the location looks great but thats not always the whole story
  2. Taja

Taja Earning my ears

I've been wanting to try the S&D for a while, but they never have good rate specials when I visit. :sigh: I don't qualify for the teachers or government employees rates and the other special rates usually aren't quite as good as those.

I've heard mostly good things about both resorts. Swan is smaller, and most of the restaurants are located in the Dolphin. They are convention hotels, and some people don't particularly like that. They also charge a daily resort fee and parking fee, if I remember correctly.

If they have good rates during your dates, that would be a perfect time to try one of them! :)

Edited to add:

The location is terrific--between DHS and EPCOT. :D
  3. foreverducky

foreverducky Addicted to Mickey

Location, location, location! :D

I love the location and would visit again for two reasons: 1 location and 2 the beds. They are truly 'heavenly' beds.

Also, a perk is that the fast food area is open 24 hours a day, which makes it great for EMH.

However, it doesn't feel like Disney. If you are looking for that, then I would look else where. Also, the buses took forever, granted I didn't need them for DHS or Epcot, however, when I did want them they were just atrocious.

It's huge too, but I didn't think that was a problem. And there were loads of convention folks there, but that wasn't a problem either, except for it subtracting even more from the Disney feel.

Hope this helps some...but frankly when I book I got such a deal that I wouldn't have turned it down, even knowing what I know now. I got a room for $125.
  4. Taja

Taja Earning my ears

S&D share buses with the other EPCOT resorts--they're all equally slow! They do run extra buses at times, but they always share with at least one other resort. We ran into that when staying at YC & BC.

Oh, and DME is not available to S&D guests, if that is important.

I definitely would stay at S&D if good rates are available. The one time they were, I was doing a super-budget trip on airline miles and an about-to-expire AP. Room at PC was $49 per night--couldn't miss the opportunity for one last trip on that AP! :lol:
  5. Mari

Mari Serious Forum Regular

I also want to stay there some time... just for the beds..... hahaha
  6. daftaboutdisney

daftaboutdisney Earning my ears

People keep saying to me that they would only stay in disney hotels and I think theyre mad

the dolphin and the swan are between mgm and epcot. you can walk to both or get the boat

they feel like proper hotels with service to match rather than the motel experience at some disney hotels

we love them
  7. Tink

Tink Cead Mille Failte! Staff Member Administrator

The buses that serve that circle of resorts (BWI/S&D/Y&B) are dreadful! I can't believe that the transport for deluxe resorts is so slow and over crowded! :eek:

We've not stayed, but have had relatives who have and they were well pleased. They are Disney veterans and felt no real loss of Disney for staying there. They had their room changed at check in as the one they were first given had a strong aroma that they didn't like. They were easily accommodated with no problem.

There are other convention resorts that are Disney, so I don't think that's a huge issue.

The pool area is nearly as nice as the BC's with a grotto style pool and then a lap pool.

There are quite a few restaurants from which to choose between the two resorts. BlueZoo is one of the more elaborate ones (Todd English) and then there is Shula's Steakhouse.

If the rate were good, I'd stay in an instant. :yes:
  8. Keith

Keith Camera nut Staff Member Administrator Forum Host

yep this is sadly very true :( it's possibly the worst part about staying at the swolphin.

The busses seem to come infrequently, although I think that's just that they seem to put on more busses for the values, and when they come they serve so many hotels that they're horribly croweded.
  9. daveann

daveann Addicted to Mickey

stayed in the swan a few years back and it was really good but i have to say there wasnt anything there that was any more special than some of the other places i have stayed except they had a mini bar and a turn down service at night which my kids thought was hilarious that people couldnt turn there own beds :) bless them
    the location is fantastic for walking to the boardwalk epcot fantasia golf. the pool wasnt heated though and my kids found it very cold :)