1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome both old friends and new to the all new Walt Disney Secrets :-D Please take a moment to say hi

Has the disney dining plan ruined disney dining?

Discussion in 'Restaurants, Dining, Dining Plans' started by AKLnut, Sep 13, 2008.

1. Tinker

Tinker Earning my ears

I totally agree with Tink . The DDP especially once it was offered free has ruined Disney restaurants . Like Johnie, I have done both . We have paid and have gotten it free . The food is not as good, the service has definitely gone downhill, you don't get the nice portions they use to give and the prices are too expensive .
    Bring Back The Good Old Days !!!
    And Tink I was raised with good manners . In those days, God forbid if I didn't , I got my bottom paddled . I raised my son the same way and I was always commented at his school conferences on what a fine young respectful boy that I was raising .

Last edited: Sep 13, 2008
  2. Tinker

Tinker Earning my ears

Jim and I eat counter service a lot while at WDW the past couple of years because of such high prices . We do eat at a few nice TS meals, but I now wouldn't pay to eat at Le Celier or say the Yachtsman Steak Haus . As my grandmother would say * Prices Are Just To Dear * .

3. Dawn

Dawn carpe diem-ing Forum Host

I miss being able to walk into Epcot first thing and making a reservation for lunch in Akershus and having a proper meal without those pesky princesses getting everywhere.

I loved Akershus so much we ate there 3 times in a week on one trip. :sigh;

4. Tink

Tink Cead Mille Failte! Staff Member Administrator

You can still walk into EPCOT's Guest Services and try to make an ADR for that day. There are a few lunch places available usually. :sigh;

The princesses really did make a hash of Norway. :(

5. Taja

Taja Earning my ears

No, you don't, Tink! Or if you do, so do I! :lol: My parents never tolerated inconsiderate behavior, whether at home or dining in a restaurant. Manners at all times--with a few exceptions to run off excess energy! :lol:

We definitely noticed a decline in dining options and service during free DDP in 2006. That said, it enabled us to try several restaurants we might not have visited for a few more trips--which might have been a good thing! Even with eating about half of most of the meals, I felt as though someone should roll me through the parks! :lol:

As Becca noted, it's more lack of proper management of the DDP program than the fact it exists. About the only things done to "manage" the plan is cram more seats into each venue, truncate the menus and charge more! :rolleyes:

6. Debbie2

Debbie2 Speedy!

Quite simply..yes is my answer to the original question.

I went last year and had free dining and yes it saved us $$$ on restaurants that I would have dined in anyway paying OOP.

I have seen a dramatic fall in standards (of both food and service) since it was introduced.

I wouldn't pay for it and have opted to go in future when free dining is not available.

7. uscwest

uscwest Senior Cast Member

That is one of the biggest problems I have with the restaurants in EPCOT. Now don't get me wrong, I like some of them, but too many of them have "dumbed" down or "Americanized" their food. I mean come on, let each country actually prepare the foods enjoyed in that country and if you don't like it you don't have to eat there.

And Tink I agree with you wholeheartedly on your misbehaving children post. If we had done something like that as children we not only would have been removed from the restaurant but probably would have also had a meeting with Mr. Razor Strap when we got home.

8. piglet

piglet Serious Forum Regular

OMG what is a razor strap. Is it a belt with razor blades attached to it?:eek3::eek3::scared004:

9. Slowhand

Slowhand Cruise Director Forum Host

I think it`s one of the straps used to sharpen cut throat razors....from my memory of Clint Eastwood films! :p015:

10. Tink

Yes. It's a wide (about maybe 2 inches) leather strip (often called strop) that was once used to sharpen the straight edged blades for shaving. Not sure how that worked, but that's what it was used for.

I'm sure it would be painful whallop. :(

11. Taja

Taja Earning my ears

Precisely why I don't dine at many of the TS venues, John. I know there are certain things I don't like (spices, food mixed together, etc.), so I don't book those venues. If I'm with Leu and it's a place she would like, I'll book it and request something plain--or make do with what's available. I may just eat bread, but I won't starve! :lol:

I would rather see the ethnic TS restaurants offer more authentic food and those of us who prefer different fare can dine elsewhere! :)

12. Dawn

Oh don't get me started on the Rose and Crown menu. Vegetable curry is not traditional British food. :mad:

13. Dawn

In 1989 I went to WDW with my cousin. We were in Epcot and looked round the Living Seas. On the way out we noticed this restaurant called the Coral Reef. Being partial to a bit of seafood we wandered up to the podium and asked about dinner that day. Got a choice of seating times there and then. :sigh;

14. Tink

Yep. That's what we miss the most. :yes:

15. Slowhand

Slowhand Cruise Director Forum Host

Yep that`s typical of the "good old days" we referred to earlier.
    Sadly those days are now gone. :mad:

16. lisaw

lisaw Serious Forum Regular

I remember in '95 we got a table straight away for a character meal in Tony's Town Square Restaurant, It was Belles Homecoming celebration. :p015:

17. Skywatcher

Skywatcher Chief Astronomer

would this still be an issue in Fewbruary - we often wanded up to restraunts last january and got in - doesn't look like free dining is being offered in Feb?

18. Tink

You may be ok in some places. :yes: Places like Chef Mickey's and other very popular sites may not be available, but the lesser visited ones may be ok.

We've just given up on it though. :sigh;

19. Skywatcher

Skywatcher Chief Astronomer

chef mickeys we always book before we go anyway - but avaliablility was always ok whilst in florida :unsure: if we have to book way out that will interfere somewhat with our slack approach to scheduling

20. Tink

I really would book those places that are important to you. You may not have any problems while here in February, but even though the DDP isn't free, people still can and do buy it. That keeps the places more full than not.