1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome both old friends and new to the all new Walt Disney Secrets :-D Please take a moment to say hi

Has the disney dining plan ruined disney dining?

Discussion in 'Restaurants, Dining, Dining Plans' started by AKLnut, Sep 13, 2008.

1. uscwest

uscwest Senior Cast Member

Yes it is exactly what Terry describes and and yes it SMARTS when you have two hundred plus pound dad who is quite angry swinging it.

2. Skywatcher

Skywatcher Chief Astronomer

I looked very briefly at the DDP but I'm not sure we could eat that much - and with days out of the parks it simply wasn't good value for money.

John I'm sorry to hear that :(

3. Tink

Tink Cead Mille Failte! Staff Member Administrator

You point out a good aspect, Skywatcher. :yes: If you don't usually eat huge amounts at a given meal, you are better off sharing a normal adult meal and eating what you please, instead of what you think you must. We often share. It's not because we are cheap so much as it is because we can't eat a full portion at most full service restaurants (especially now). We are very portion savvy, and most dinners in particular are enough for at least two adults.

Also, you are locked into dining on WDW property with the DDP. If you like to dine offsite, then this plan will end up costing you more as you won't be using all your credits.

It's not a perfect solution to dining by any means. If you are going to use it, be certain you understand what you are getting into. Be certain you understand that they can and do refuse to take the DDP for special events including things like St. Patrick's Day at given restaurants. That can seriously mess up your ability to use your points.

4. Watchinherskip

Watchinherskip Better known as "That Guy"

I remember the first time my DW and I went to Disney World back in '87. We knew to get to Epcot early run to the video reservation site to get a nice place to eat for the day. That was pretty cool. We had a dining plan then. Forgot exactly what it was called, something like dining magic or something.

We had the DDP the last two trips, we paid for them as we went in November and January and for the most part they worked out well, but I know what you mean, a lot of magic is missing. The service at the Coral Reef on the last trip was poor, CM's detached, food was so so, and we had to wait about an hour despite having an ADR. :confused:

I think it comes down to the fact that there isn't an exclusivity now. At one time you would make sure you were dressed properly, kids were prepped for the special dinner, told to be on their best behavior, but now the evening is open to any and all.

I think it was W.C. Fields who once said that I wouldn't want to belong to any club that would accept me as a member.:p

5. Skywatcher

Skywatcher Chief Astronomer

Groucho Marx ;)

6. Dawn

Dawn carpe diem-ing Forum Host

I was freaked out the first time I used that video reservation thing. :eek:

7. Tink

I remember that! It was so convenient! You could check the weather too! :lol:

8. Watchinherskip

Thank you Chris.

9. uscwest

uscwest Senior Cast Member

That video screen at EPCOT was the coolest thing back then wasn't it?

10. Slowhand

Slowhand Cruise Director Forum Host

It sure seemed like the latest in hi-tech at the time.
    We went there to make a dinner reservation ages ago with a couple of friends and my god daughter who was around 7 years old at the time and asked for a table for five.
    I was amazed when the lady on the screen asked where the fifth person was....my GD was too small to be seen on the screen! Up `til then I thought it was a "Disney trick", not a real person there! :lol:

11. Tink

LOL! That must have surprised you a bit! :lol:

12. Watchinherskip

Yeah it really was sort of special. So "Tomorrowlandish". We could also make some sort of "reservation" from our room at the Disney Inn too.

13. tbchurch

tbchurch Earning my ears

I agree with Tink!! And we may sound like old ladies, BUT we are actually well-mannered ladies!!

My children (now 15 and 21) were exposed to "fine dining" early on as soon as they were old enough to have good table manners and restaurant etiquette. We practice good table manners at home and discuss proper behavior at restaurants. When they were younger, they would often remark about the other children in the restaurant and how they were not "minding their manners".

Both the girls appreciate this life lesson and have commented on how it helped them when they were with other families and the older in work related dining situations. They know how to order, inquire respectfully about the menu, use the proper utensils, cut their meat, etc. They were amazed at the number of friends and co-workers that didn't seem to understand this.

We are going to Disney in October and have our dining planned out (of course!!). I do hope we are not disappointed in the atmosphere of the nicer restaurants. I expect a higher level of excitement at character meals (only doing 2 of these), but the other restaurants, I do expect well mannered quests!!

Hope it is not ruined...:unsure: