1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome both old friends and new to the all new Walt Disney Secrets :-D Please take a moment to say hi

Question Hawaii?

Discussion in 'Non Disney Trips and Travels' started by keith, Oct 26, 2013.

1. keith

keith Camera nut Staff Member Administrator Forum Host

I've never been to Hawaii but it's one of those places, those who have been seem to have loved it and sigh when they remember how great it was.

I know nothing at all about it, nothing about the islands, which one is good, where to stay, what to do etc.

Really tempted to try it this year though. So, what do I need to know?

2. Tink

Tink Cead Mille Failte! Staff Member Administrator

You need to know that Oahu is the main island for visitors and has the most hotel rooms. It is also the island that has Waikiki Beach (you can't go to Hawaii without visiting Waikiki!!) the North Shore for FABULOUS surfing, seacoast and views. Honolulu is a wonderful city with a very beautiful China Town. The bus system in Hawaii is the best in the United States. It's inexpensive, safe, clean and fun. You can take a bus trip around the entire island, hopping on and off as you please.

The food is wonderful, but don't get sucked into one of those stupid fake luaus. If you are going to do one, then do it through the cultural center.

This is the island that really has the most to do for any visitor.

Now, if you want pure peace, and not much else, go to Kauai and hang out with the feral chickens. :D

Maui is nice enough, but again we far preferred the many options available on Oahu. You can also take a tour of Pearl Harbor, too.

The "Big Island" is just that and put me in the mind of needing to visit someone if you really wanted to enjoy this island.

Loved the smaller islands just for the visit, but (all together now) Oahu was the most intriguing, entertaining and accessible for us.

Hope that helps a bit, and YES! You and the Mrs. Keith MUST go!

3. keith

OOOOO that's excellent info thanks Tink! :yes:

What's the best time of year to visit?

4. catrancher

catrancher Assistant Cruise Director Forum Host

Don't forget Aulani.

Never been there but I'd certainly like to go sometime. :yes:

Tom ( :macwave:... Aloha!)

5. Slowhand

Slowhand Cruise Director Forum Host

Doug & Michelle have been there a couple of times Tom and they think that it is fantastic. :thumbsup:

6. Tink

Tink Cead Mille Failte! Staff Member Administrator

Any time of year actually, Keith. Hawaii is almost always beautiful. They have bouts of liquid sunshine, but Oahu is a beautiful island with lovely trade winds.

Oh, that is the drawback to Hawaii overall. Many public places to not have a/c as they rely on the tradewinds. The hotels are ok, but some other places (like the airport!) won't have it.

7. keith

WOW to no air con! it'll be like being back in the UK :lol:

So, May/June wouldn't be stupidly horribly hot?

8. Wendy

Wendy A hui hou kakou makuakane Staff Member Administrator

Oh where do I start, I fell in love with Hawaii and if anyone ever made me choose between Disney and Hawaii, I'm afraid Disney would lose :sorry:

I'll convince you, I'll copy a dvd we bought and send it up to you, I challenge you not to be impressed :)

We went to Oahu and Tink has already described it so well, the North Shore is a photographer's paradise and the sunsets are amazing. We have some amazing photos and the other thing that I found was that the Hawaiians are the most friendliest people anywhere. They are so happy and helpful and as Tink said we felt completely safe even when we were walking through the market and believe it or not we used the bus transportation as well :lol: We did rent a car for a few days so that we could drive around the island though

We stayed in the Outrigger, Waikiki on the Beach, Donna and John suggested it. We had a deluxe ocean front room which looked out to the beach and the sea. We would fall asleep with the patio door open listening to the water lapping the shore. I have a picture on my wall of a sunset that Chris took whilst we were sitting on our balcony, I'll look for it and post it.

When (I am not saying if) we go back, I think we would get an internal flight to the main island for a couple of days so that we can see the volcano and a couple of other things.

One thing that you do need to remember though is that Hawaii is expensive, more so than the main land.

We went late September beginning of October and it was hot, but there is no humidity so it's bearable, having said that though I couldn't lie in the sun for anymore than a couple of hours.

Helen would love it Keith and so would you for completely different reasons, Chris never got bored once, it really is a bucket list island.

9. keith

ok I think I need to see that DVD :D and will start looking at some flights

10. Wendy

Well, I've been looking around the site for the Outrigger and for the same room we had last time its $499 plus tax a night :thud:

I'll copy the DVD tomorrow and send it up :)

11. keith

Well I don't mind paying if it's good.. who did you fly with?

12. Britchick

Britchick Cast Member

Funny you say that Keith but I was reading a post yesterday that Wendy was talking about Hawaii. Jon and I plan to have a second honeymoon without kids! for our 25th in 2016 (I can't believe it lol) we plan to do the west coast of Us as we love driving holidays. I think a trip to Hawaii would just make it that extra special for our actual anniversary so I will follow this thread and your plans with interest!

keith likes this.
  13. keith

funny YOU should say THAT :lol: because the other thing I'd REALLY REALLY like to do is a route 66 trip.

14. Britchick

Britchick Cast Member

Oh I love US road trips, we drove from Vegas to Albuquerque with lots of places in between and also from Charleston to Oklahoma white we were over there.
    I love the planning of the places to visit. It doesn't have to cost a fortune either, I'm happy in a hampton inn and a couple of special places. You should really do it Keith! life is too short! You could always stop off at Orlando on the way back

keith likes this.
  15. Wendy

I'll send you the DVD as well. Julie, Hawaii is the perfect place and you can re-new your vows on the beach, it is really romantic :yes:

16. Britchick

Britchick Cast Member

Thank you Wendy, not sure we're going to renew our vows. Jon will do it if I want but he says he doesn't need to renew as we haven't broken them lol. Not sure I want to do it if his heart isn't in it if you see what I mean. He is however swaying to the idea of DVC membership when I'm back in gainful employment so I can't complain ;)

17. Wendy

Oh well done you on talking him round to a DVC :D

18. Britchick

Britchick Cast Member

:lol:

19. catrancher

catrancher Assistant Cruise Director Forum Host

For your entertainment. To help put you in the mood! :drive:

Tom ( :macwave:... hope you like a capella jazz!)

keith likes this.
  20. uscwest

uscwest Senior Cast Member

Donna and I used to make frequent business trips to Hawaii. We used to get a fantastic rate at the Outrigger Waikiki on the Beach because we were government employees. In 1995 I had to make a business trip over and Donna came with me on vacation. We got married at Pua Melia Plantation in Waimanalo. On one of the trips we took a weekend trip over to the Big Island (Hawaii). We rented a car and we were able to drive all over the island, seeing the beautiful waterfalls as well as the "desert" area of Kona. We even got to go to Volcanoes National Park and were able to watch lava flow into the ocean. We've never been to the other islands but would love to go to Maui (where our niece who got married in WDW a couple of years ago and her husband live).

Britchick likes this.