1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome both old friends and new to the all new Walt Disney Secrets :-D Please take a moment to say hi

Question Hawaii?

Discussion in 'Non Disney Trips and Travels' started by keith, Oct 26, 2013.

1. Tink

Tink Cead Mille Failte! Staff Member Administrator

I totally forgot something. The sun in Hawaii is HOT. :eek: I burned myself quite badly and yes, I was wearing a very strong and protective sunscreen. There is a different type in Hawaii, I think it has titanium in it. (REally!) So get your sunscreen there.

The volcano would be wonderful to see. You can take a 'chopper tour and view it from the sky. :yes:

In addition to being more expensive, I found the "hands out for a tip" to be a little overwhelming. It seems everyone had a hand out. And we all know what I think of THAT! :D

We too stayed at the Outrigger on Waikiki. :yes: There is another hotel further along (toward Diamond Head). It has an Asian name and we said if we ever returned we'd stay there. I'll rack my brain and try to remember.

$500 a night for Outrigger is not worth it. Honest. It's a very nice place, clean and well served, but it's not a fancy hotel at all. For $500 a night, I'd be disappointed. :sorry:

I'll go look for that other hotel.

2. Tink

keith likes this.
  3. keith

keith Camera nut Staff Member Administrator Forum Host

oh that does look beautiful thanks Tink!!

4. keith

How fantastic that sounds. I'm yet to hear anyone say a bad word about Hawaii!

5. Tink

Did you see that one of their specialty suites was designed by Vera Wang? It's quite an expensive hotel. I'm sorry about that. I knew it was beautiful, but didn't realize the least expensive accommodation was close to $600 per night. Would be nice for a few days stay though! Maybe toward the end of the holiday so you are pampered and leave in true style?

6. Wendy

Wendy A hui hou kakou makuakane Staff Member Administrator

Well I know where I will be staying when we go back :lol:

7. keith

Apparently Steve Jobs absolutely loved Kona and went there every year for the peace

8. Britchick

Britchick Cast Member

9. keith

10. Britchick

Britchick Cast Member

that's because it's a waldorf historia

11. keith

yeah! certainly no problem staying there

12. Britchick

Britchick Cast Member

Astoria...not historia ....:lol:

13. Tink

You need to decide what you most want on Holiday. Do you want the glorious beauty and peace that Hawaii can be? Or, do you want the ability to move between peace and "action?"

The strip of resorts along Waikiki are all very nice, with some being more luxurious than others. :yes: The Outrigger where we stayed was right on the beach, and we had a room facing the beach with a balcony. With a simple turn of the head to the left, you could see Diamond Head. Beautiful.

14. uscwest

uscwest Senior Cast Member

Hawaii has apparently gotten ridiculously expensive since we used to go over. We didn't pay anywhere near $500/night.

BTW there are several Outriggers in Hawaii. There is another just down the street from the Outrigger Waikiki on the Beach. It is called the Outrigger Reef. The beach isn't as lovely as the other one but the beaches are wide open and for the most part not restricted like the pools at WDW so could always go to the Outrigger Waikiki to use the beach. I also don't remember them asking for room keys to use the pools. The Pool at the Outrigger Waikiki used to have an underground bar with a window that let you see right into the pool.

15. Watchinherskip

Watchinherskip Better known as "That Guy"

We were fortunate to go there way back in 1986 or was it 87? Anyhow we stayed in Waikiki at a Dept of Defence hotel Hale Koa (House of the Warrior). We had to work a bit of a scam. SIL's hubby had to take temp active duty, his brother was stationed at Hickam AFB and got another room. It was fantastic. We were right next to Don Ho's Sheraton (think it was a Sheraton) and Ft. Derussy. Now at this time Magnum PI was still being filmed there. We went to mass on Saturday evening (right on the beach!) and when we turned around we saw a big crowd heading over to the beach. Tom Selleck and the guy who played TC on the show were playing beach volleyball. Found out it was a standing game each Saturday night.

We were there in the summer, but I would say that the big difference between summer and winter, is wind direction. Always in the trades, but the wind direction changed so that if you go in the summer expecting to see the Bonzai Pipeline, you will be dissapointed. North Shore is flat as a pancake then. The SE shore is the place to be! Let us just say that this howli tried attempted his first Hawaiian body surf and got totally wiped out (never even touched bottom!). Little Hawaiian kids had to lead me back to my towel in my utter shame! Too funny.

A couple of things to note or try:
    • The guava juice there is AWESOME!
    • Kona coffee is AWESOME
    • Great place to get Lai!
    • Hunauma Bay is wonderful to see giant fish and turtles (used to be able to feed them frozen peas - giant jacks would school behind you to catch the loose ones) Nice to have a waterproof camera!
    • Got to go to the cultural center!
    • If you take a boat tour or go fishing...you will be astonished to see swimmers and surfers on the beach and be in 100 fathoms of water. Gets deep really fast.
    • Tried the shave ice!
    • Walk to a waterfall - and SWIM http://hawaiitrails.ehawaii.gov/trail.php?TrailID=OA 19 007
    • If you can, (not sure since 9/11) go to the old Bellow's AFB region. Beautiful beach. Rustic setting.
    • Check out the China Man's Hat geloogic feature.
    • Pearl Harbor Tour...a must. Felt overwhelmed at the Arizona...always beautiful lai floating on the blue water with diesel still leaking over the water tombs of those sailors.
    • Remember it is an island everthing is either monoa (beach) or mauka (towards the mountains)
    • Poi is over rated...bluh (like that is possible)
    • Check the sunset for the "green flash"
    • Avoid going there on Founder's Week! Hard to get flights anywhere (guess when we went?) It is around August 21.
    It was an amazing week we spent there. I would love to return but this time I think I would like to go to the big island. As a geologist and planetarium dude how could I miss the observatories and the volcanoes? BW...we stayed at the Hale Koa, ran up a bar tab, ate all of our breakfasts there as well as a few lunches and one dinner and our bill for everything was under $300!!!!!! We saved the bill in our photo book of the trip. That was a once in a lifetime deal.

Mahalo

16. Watchinherskip

Watchinherskip Better known as "That Guy"

humu.jpg Oh yeah one more thing......huma huma nuka nuka apua!