1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome both old friends and new to the all new Walt Disney Secrets :-D Please take a moment to say hi

heat headaches

Discussion in 'General' started by pigletpete, Apr 2, 2011.

1. pigletpete

pigletpete Imagineer

:wave:

I really suffer in Orlando from headaches especially in the afternoon. I think it's the heat, I get the same over here if it gets really hot but somehow theyre worse in orlando because it can be so clammy as well.

Anyone else? Ive been managing with aleve but if there's a better more natural way to avoid them I'd be interested in hearing about them
  2. Britchick

Britchick Serious Forum Regular

Are you drinking enough? Normally you should be drinking 2 litres a day but with the heat you are going to need more. I find that caffeine helps my headaches too, nice glass of ice cold coke really helps sometimes. I tend to have a lie down in the afternoon in a cool dark room too.
  3. Tink

Tink Cead Mille Failte! Staff Member Administrator

Drink, drink, drink!!!! Loads of water (I normally drink three litres a day, so would need more at WDW) more that you are used to. Caffeine can help a headache, but it can upset your stomach in the heat, so you need to find the balance.

Keep sunglasses on and a shade hat too. It matters. Also, try to keep your neck and face cool. Use a cold cloth periodically, or put some ice cubes in the cloth and rest it on the back of your neck for a bit. :yes:

Do take breaks in shady areas.

Air conditioning may have something to do with the onset of the headaches too.
  4. foreverducky

foreverducky Addicted to Mickey

I agree with Tink's air conditioning comment. I know that a headache will come on if I am going in and out of air conditioned rooms and the heat. It's the back and forth.
  5. Dorothy

Dorothy Smiley Herder

I don't handle the heat well at all so I know how you feel as a headache is the first thing that I get.

Please take all the advice already given above :yes:
  6. gwennie81

gwennie81 Earning my ears

Try to do indoor/shady activities in the heat of the day. Even maybe schedule a late lunch around 1:30-2pm in order to be in the a/c for a while.

Keep your eyes shielded (glasses & hat). Squinting can make it worse.

Drink LOTS of water. Stay away from sugary or caffinated drinks.

Stay away from salty foods or alcohol that can dehydrate you.

Sit down or even try to lay down in the shade for a while and close your eyes.

Take it slow. Stroll slowly. Don't speedwalk from place to place.

Dress in loose fitting clothing.
  7. Tink

Tink Cead Mille Failte! Staff Member Administrator

Natural fibers. :yes: Loose fitting clothing with natural fibers. Be sure your sunscreen isn't the thick oily kind that makes you more miserable. Neutrogena has a nice one that works very well (Ultra Sun Block) and goes on nearly dry and is not nasty, sticky or too thick.