1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome both old friends and new to the all new Walt Disney Secrets :-D Please take a moment to say hi

Hello and I need advice.

Discussion in 'Intro's and Welcomes!' started by mehaffey, Sep 26, 2010.

1. mehaffey

mehaffey Earning my ears

:unsure: We've been to Disney World in May and October. The weather was wonderful and the crowds were small. This year, we can't go until the week of December 14th. What will the crowds be like? Are we insane for going at this time? Also, what about the weather? Thanks!!!! This is my first time on this site and it looks like it will be a HUGE help for us.

2. keith

keith Camera nut Staff Member Administrator Forum Host

Welcome to Disney Secrets :D

Hi there! :wave:

I love the weeks before christmas :) Yep, it gets busier as you get closer towards Christmas, with the week itself being pretty packed to say the least :lol: but the couple of weeks before are great.

The weather to me has always been great. I'm not a huge fan of the middle of summer Orlando weather, and December though unpredictable, usually suits me MUCH better.

I think the best advice for December is wear layers so you can add/remove during the day/evening as required. It can go from tshirt warm, for me as a UKer, to needed a jumper in late evening. So definitely variable

3. Slowhand

Slowhand Cruise Director Forum Host

Just to add to the excellent response from Keith...December is also a great time to visit if only to see all the festive decorations throughout WDW.
    Make sure to visit a few of the resorts which are really great during this time of year, and a trip to Celebration wouldn`t go amiss also. :thumbsup:

Last edited: Sep 27, 2010
  4. uscwest

uscwest Senior Cast Member

And I'll echo what both Keith and Slowhand said. It is an absolutely lovely time to go. The parks are so festive as well as the resorts. It will get busier the closer you get to Christmas.

5. Tink

Tink Cead Mille Failte! Staff Member Administrator

Honestly? You really couldn't have chosen a better time to do WDW at the Christmas season. All the decorations will be up, the special events will be going on and the anticipation of the "big day" is in full swing.

Weather is totally a guesser. I don't know where you are so obviously can't compare it to your weather, but it could be HOT, it could be quite nippy. Most likely it will be moderate, and you'll want a light jacket and maybe trousers for the evening.

The humidity will be nil and that is a wonderful thing. :D Breeze will be cool (when there is a breeze). I think you'll be well pleased with your choice of timing. :yes:

OH! Welcome to Disney Secrets! :D :9:

6. foreverducky

foreverducky Addicted to Mickey

I went around that time a few years ago when I was living in FL. Anyway, I knew that my body had adapted to the warmer weather so I packed capris and t-shirts. Well, some weird massive cold spell hit for the 3 days I was there. It dipped down to the high 30's and low 40's. I was absolutely freezing. The day after I left the weather jumped back up.

That being said, the weather can vary a lot. Definitely bring layers. You don't want to spend extra money on buying an extra sweater if you didn't want to.

The lack of humidity is fantastic, which to me, makes the crowds easier to deal with.

I can't recommend enough going around to the resorts and checking out the individual decorations. The WL and GF are not to be missed!

7. Isafari

Isafari Wild Animal Expert

We've gone for the past 7 years around 17th December. The parks are pretty crowded and as you get to the actual Christmas week, they could fill to capacity.
    However, the atmosphere is second to none and the parades shows are fantastic.
    Last year, there was a really cold spell and icicles were hanging off the plants BUT, previously, it's been pretty good weather wise. A jumper early morning and after 7pm with t/shirts and maybe even shorts through the day.