1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome both old friends and new to the all new Walt Disney Secrets :-D Please take a moment to say hi

Hello

Discussion in 'Intro's and Welcomes!' started by cprej, Jan 8, 2012.

1. cprej

cprej Earning my ears

Hi my name is Cody. I am married to my wonderful wife Pam and have a 14 month old girl and one due in march. We are in the process of deciding if we would like to join my sister on their trip to wdw next year. We want to go, but we are sure our kids will be old enough. They will be 2 and 1 at the time of the trip. The other problem we haveing trouble deciding is where to stay with such young kids if we do go. Please make suggestions i will listen to all. thanks

Last edited: Jan 8, 2012
  2. uscwest

uscwest Senior Cast Member

Hello and :welcome1: to Disney Secrets Cody. If you were to ask me personally I would say that 1 and 2 is too young however, MANY of our members have taken children of that age and had tons of fun. If money is not an object then I would recommend one of the Magic Kingdom Resorts (Grand Floridian, Polynesian, Contemporary) so that you could easily take them back for a nap. If money is an object then I would recommend either All Star Movies or Pop Century for children that age.

3. Tink

Tink Cead Mille Failte! Staff Member Administrator

I've taken our little guy since he was 6 months old. Babies love Disney, as long as you don't push them to the characters. Some children are very fearful of them. Others are not.

The little ones get so excited and truly enjoy Disney, especially the "little things" that you may not even notice.

People say "they won't remember..." But you will. :yes: And trust me. This won't be your last trip!

I don't know what sort of budget you have for accommodations but I would strongly recommend a DVC vacation villa. You'd have a full kitchen (if you went with a one bedroom or larger) and a separate bedroom to put the children down for their naps, or even at night. They are very spacious and have a washer and a dryer so you won't have to worry about running out of clothing due to accidents, ect.

If you don't like that idea, I'd say give Port Orleans a look. They have a trundle bed which would be good for your little one (and the baby would be able to use a pack and play).

I hope this helps a bit. Others here will be along to share their experiences of bringing babies and toddlers to WDW. :yes:

4. cprej

cprej Earning my ears

The budget is cheaper the better but now cheap just to get by. We want to be comfortable in our room. I would like to stay in the new animation resort because they have a little more room then the rest of the value resorts. The only problem is the do cost more. Is there a way to rent the villas from people direct instead of going through disney? Yes this will not be our last time which is also waying in on the budget. I want to return for sure in 2015 before my oldest starts school. I also found a place off site that is a 3 bedroom house for cheaper then the animation resort. I know the trip is far off just trying to get our options lined up. My wife and I LOVE DISNEY we went two years ago and had a blast. We can not wait to go back and enjoy it with the little ones now. Thanks for all the help!

5. Tink

Yes. Some DVC owners rent out points and that is much more cost effective than booking through Disney for those accommodations. Unfortunately, I can't help you much with it as I don't personally know anyone who rents points.

Staying offsite in a reasonably priced villa is something that many, many smart people do! :yes:

Staying onsite is fun, but truly staying offsite can be much more comfortable!

6. cprej

cprej Earning my ears

So who has experienc of staying at a value resort vs offsite? We stayed offsite last time and we like it and dis liked it. So much to decide thankfully i have so many days to think about it lol.

7. disney-fan

disney-fan Imagineer

Welcome to the family .We started taking our daughter to disney at 8 mo.
    We have a lot of photos with mickey and friends. We have been going for years she even interned in the magic kingdom while in collage . We have stayed in many
    of the resorts on property. The biggest thing to think of is when your on property
    you dont have the rent a car the bus service is great parking fees add up
    also you get extra magic hours these help to get you on the popular rides with
    less wait .They also offer baby sitting at some resorts. We used the never land
    club To get some alone time . We stayed off site and the traffic every day was
    bad .

mike

8. Suebeattie

Suebeattie Addicted to Mickey

Welcome!!
    We are taking our soon to be here baby to Disney in October and he will be 8months then. It possible will be a little to young but will be fun for us to get excited for him.
    We went with my family including my 2 yr old nephew to Disney Paris and he loved it and got very excited with the characters - he loved tigger.
    I personally dont think they can ever be too young.
    With accommodation the last time we went we stayed on site at animal kingdom lodge for one week then went offsite and stayed in my mum and dads timeshare for the other week (we did non Disney things this week). Perhaps that could be an option for you. This year we are staying in a villa offsite as we like the self catering side of things and also the fact we will have our own swimming pool.
    :wiggle:

9. catrancher

catrancher Assistant Cruise Director Forum Host

Hi cprej!

And :spraywelcome: to Secrets.

Sorry I can't be of much assistance on this one. My kids are all long grown and gone. I'm sure that other people will be able to provide excellent advice and counsel however.

Tom :)macwave:... older than dirt!)

10. Mari

Mari Serious Forum Regular

Hi Cody!

Welcome to Secrets :)

I honestly believe you ar enever too young for Disney... and the memories you and your wife will have of your LOs experiencing the magic for the first time will last a lifetime!

We took our daughter when she was 18mo ... she does not remember any of it, but during the trip she had the most fun :yes: at it was magical to experience Disney through her eyes :)

some tips.

Take your strollers... I would suggest reclining and with a decent hood :) if you dont have one, you can always rent one, I know of two websites that rent really good strollers for a decent price

Respect your LOs schedule for naps and meals. All parks have a child care center where you can buy/ heat baby formula and food, change diapers, feed babies, etc.... they offer a super relaxed atmosphere, you forget you are in the park while there.

Realize you wont be able to see everything and go on every ride, it will stress you to even try. Just enjoy whatever it is your kids enjoy :)

I prefer to stay onsite, more so with little ones since that gives you the option of leaving the park mid day, going to the resort for naps, having a couple of hours by the pool, etc....

11. chief

chief Earning my ears

hi :wave:
    us parents always do whats best for our kids, if that is waiting for your kids to be a little older that is ok.
    if you take them as babies that is also ok.
    whatever your choice will be the right choice for you, mostly because when you decide to do any trip you will plan and accommodate for your family.
    just think of all the shopping you can fit on pushchairs and if you have to fly you will get loads of room as long as you request a sky cot:yes: lol
    it will be fabulous,
    we stayed in a villa in 2010 when my 2 ds were 11 and 8. we are going back to a villa this time [they are now 13 and 10]
    although if you stay on site the travelling will be much easier to go back for nap etc.
    sara

12. cprej

cprej Earning my ears

Hello, been a while. Little update. We now know we are trying to go in October. We switch which sister we are goin with (in-law now lol). As of now we have an offer to stay with my Nanny in her camper at the wilderness. This is by far our cheapest option, but it is not 100%. Soooooo we still in the hunt of for a second option. Would like to hear some more about staying off site. Windsor hil is a place we looking to stay anyone staye there before? My wife is getting super excited about the trip now. Thanks again for the info.

13. Faythstar

Faythstar Imagineer

Hello, cprej!

We stayed offsite for our honeymoon in 2011. We stayed at a Holiday Inn (I think) that was in Orlando, honestly not far from WDW. It was our only option, as we were traveling on a budget (I'd just graduated college and my husband was working to support us and we were sort of struggling). It was much less expensive, and the hotel was pretty nice. They had a shuttle service that would take you to the parks everyday, but unless you got down to the lobby real early to wait for it, you couldn't always get a seat. Sometimes you couldn't anyway, because the shuttle service was shared with several hotels in the area. Also, coming back at the end of the day, very often the buses were packed and you had to stand all the way back to your hotel with your feet aching. That was honestly the only bad part about it for me. I have flat feet and not so great circulation, so that ride back at night was murder for me.

I don't really have anything else to add except that I hope everything goes smoothly for you planning your trip. I know how stressful it can be sometimes, trying to make things work. Also, what time in October are you looking to go? We're also planning to be there in October this year! :)

14. Watchinherskip

Watchinherskip Better known as "That Guy"

First off, welcome to the forum Cody. We have only stayed onsite, and that is part of the allure for our family. DD went first as a 6 year old. That was a perfect age. We travelled with my brother and his family with a toddler. It was a bit hectic but we all had a great time. I am sure you will figure it out. Again, thanks for joining the group.

15. arkvilla

arkvilla Addicted to Mickey

Hi Cody and welcome to Secrets, it's a lovely, friendly forum.

We are unlike most as we have never stayed on site we like our own space and to do things at our own pace.

Something to consider if you stay off site is that you will need a car so you need to take that into account.

Florida is huge and there are so many things to do apart from theme parks but as your children are small then I think you'll probably spend lots of time at the parks on this trip.

Keep them in the shade and take lots of water with you when you are out and about and make sure you have strollers with you as they will need a nap.

Enjoy planning your trip, it's half the fun :yes:

Sandra

16. Tink

Nice to see the update. :yes:

It's really a matter of doing what you think best suits your family. If you stay offsite you'll want a precise plan to make sure everything goes smoothly and that's not always possible with little ones.

Onsite does make everything easier, but you are going to pay for convenience.

Staying in a camper at Ft. Wilderness sounds like great fun! They have so many nice things to do there, and a pretty decent buffet, too.

October is a very busy month for special things to do. The Food and Wine Festival is on at WDW, and there are several Halloween celebrations (Disney has the MNSSHP, and the other parks have special events too). Plus, the weather can be darn near perfect. :yes:

It's great that you are putting much thought into your visit, and planning but don't lose sight of the fact that you'll want some unstructured free time to be able to do those unplanned impromtu events that always pop up!

17. Mari

Mari Serious Forum Regular

I think the downside to staying off site is the distance and time involved in travelling. It might seem ok in the morning, but having to wait for a bus that leaves at very specific times(assuming the hotel provides transportation) plus riding said bus for 20-30 minutes with two sleepy toddlers and tired parents will wear you out. We experienced that within Disney one nught we decided to go to DTD for dinner. Both girls fell asleep on the way back to the resort, so it was 2 sleeping kids, 2 strollers, 1 large diaper bag, 2 Dolls plus doll accesories, plus 2 bags with souvenirs.... Crazy!!!! And the bus ride was 10 minutes

Fort Wilderness is a great place to stay. It is huge, but it is a boat ride away from MK, and it has lots o entertainment in the resort.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

18. Faythstar

Faythstar Imagineer

YES to the very specific times. We didn't get to see most of the nighttime shows the last time we were there because our bus left before them, and we had to get to the buses even earlier to have any hope at all of getting a seat on them at the end of the day, and often, we still didn't get a seat, which was miserable for us.

19. cprej

cprej Earning my ears

So after talking with the wife, we decided to go ahead and stay at fort wilderness. We can not wait and hopefully all goes as plan. I think I will start buying disney gift cards and hopefully have all my meals and some souvinears paid for before we get there. Thanks for all the info that was provided.