1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome both old friends and new to the all new Walt Disney Secrets :-D Please take a moment to say hi

Help for friend....

Discussion in 'Special Needs' started by Johnie, Sep 18, 2008.

1. Johnie

Johnie Budget Queen Forum Host

I mentioned before that my co-worker's husband has been diagnosed with ALS (Lou Gehrig's disease). They have 2 small children and both of them are quite young as well.

She told me yesterday that they are still planning on taking their anniversary trip in Dec. Their anniversary is in June but they wanted the kids to go so Dec it is. They are staying at Caribbean Beach and have bought the dining plan. They go to WDW every year so are somewhat familiar with all it entails. They also have trip insurance and can move the dates up if the husband's health starts to fail.

She wasn't familiar with any of the accomodations available for people with disabilities. I mentioned these to her:

1. Renting an ECV or wheelchair. Gave her info for Randy's Mobility (momused them before and they were great). Since fatigue is a huge issue for ALS, this would be a great thing for him

2. GAC- adv that it can be obtained at Guest Services in each park and is good for length of stay and the 4 main parks. I just told her she would need to let the CM know what accomodations he will need

3. I did mention the special places to view parades/shows

4. I mentioned that they have an array of handicapped accessible rooms available at the resorts and gave her more info on that.

Does anyone have any suggestions for what I might be leaving out?

My co-worker is a very sweet lady and has absolutely astonished me with her capacity to still be concerned about others when this horrible thing has happened in her life.

I also hope they have a completely wonderful trip. I know this may very well be the last time they get to do this as a family. I was thinking of sending something to them when they go. Any suggestions regarding that?

Thanks so much!

2. Tink

Tink Cead Mille Failte! Staff Member Administrator

I don't know if they'll need it but the first aid stations have private rooms for health issues. Perhaps if he felt weak or overcome by heat he could go there and have a little quite time in a private room?

3. Johnie

Good point! Thanks Tink!

4. Tinker

Tinker Earning my ears

Not that I have to tell you this ... the resorts offer a free fridge and shower chair for disabled guests . The shower chair will greatly help him from having to stand to take a shower .
    I wish them a wonderful trip . Bless Them !

5. disneywishmom

disneywishmom Earning my ears

I have two children with a life-threatening illness. I would acquire a letter from the doctor requesting that disney assist them in anyway. I know that you don't always need it to get an assistance pass but I always bring one and they have asked to see it everytime. Having that letter may also help just in case there is a medical emergency. Also, if she calls ahead to the resort, she can request an early check in (free of charge) due to medical needs and state that she has a letter from the doctor. They will put this in with her reservation. She can then confirm a few days out with the resort that it is in the computer. I have always been honored this (knock on wood). Disney doesn't have to honor it but if she explains the situation with details they will do their very best. We have also always requested that we get a room closest to the food court or bus stop. They have always honored this as well. We make this request at the same time as the early check in. Also make sure she has a copy of all prescriptions he will need just in case. My husband also has type 1 diabetes (yes we are genetically lucky) and the CM are trained to assist if he isn't feeling well they have run to get him a soda. So I am sure in a situation like hers if her husband needs something, not feeling well, the CM's will be ready to help. The only other advice is to take a break everyday by noon and don't go back to the parks until dinner. I know this sounds crazy but a sick body needs its rest. If we didn't follow this schedule, then the kids would be in the hospital by day 2. It has worked for us. But that's why we go back so much because you just have to accept that you are not going to do "everything." And that's why this will be our 9th trip:hug2:Tell your friend best wishes and god bless. I know this journey is joyful and sad. But no worries, WDW is the best place to celebrate life!

6. Disneybumble

Disneybumble The Secret is in the Sauce.

Johnie you are a very kind and warm hearted person. I can't think off anything to add to your list but in relation to a gift. Why not send an email to Disney via Caribbean Beach and tell them about this amazing family.Maybe they could arrange some Disney magic for this family.

7. Johnie

Thanks everyone for the great suggestions. That is a great idea to call the resort.

8. SleepinCatz

SleepinCatz Fluffeh Disney Fan

Isn't there a book our for touring Disney with special needs? I know I saw one yesterday and I cannot remember what the name was. It was in the travel guides section with the other WDW how to books. Barnes and Nobles was the store I was in at the time. Perhaps a book like that with a Mickey Book mark for them to read over?

9. disneywishmom

disneywishmom Earning my ears

Here's one, I haven't used it. I have just learned through experience.

http://www.amazon.com/PassPorters-Disney-World-Special-Needs/dp/1587710188

This is info from disney:
    http://disneyworld.disney.go.com/wdwi/en_CA/common/Plain?id=PlainMobilityDPage

Like you said the best thing to do is call and explain the situation to the resort. They will help. If you get a new CM, keep trying until someone listens. Sometimes, every CM isn't trained on the procedure for this situation. Be persistant and don't give up.:hug1: