1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome both old friends and new to the all new Walt Disney Secrets :-D Please take a moment to say hi

Help for larger people (PLEASE do not take offense)

Discussion in 'Special Needs' started by gwennie81, Sep 5, 2010.

1. gwennie81

gwennie81 Earning my ears

I'm thinking about taking my aunt to Epcot. I will definitely need to rent a scooter or wheelchair for her (wheelchair would be the preferred since I will get some exercise!). But she is about 5' 3" and weighs probably 300 lbs. at this point.

The worry is, that since she is obese, how many rides will she be able to go on? For example, Soarin'. I know she would LOVE that ride but I don't know if she would be able to fit in the seats. She can fit in an airplane seat, but she does take up a little more room so my mom or grandma sits beside her. I said that I'll just sit beside her, but my mom is worried that they have some sort of load capacity. I said the CM's probably keep that in mind when they're loading a ride. For example, the boat ride in MX.

It is absolutely NOT an issue for me personally and I think she'd have a blast but, my mom does not want to be embarassed for her if she gets turned away at a ride. I said I see larger people at the parks all the time and it seems that they go on all the rides. ARE there certain rides that she would NOT be able to go on? HAS anyone out there personally had difficulties getting around Epcot?

THANK YOU so much in advance!
    -G
  2. Johnie

Johnie Budget Queen Forum Host

Disney is very accomodating for larger people!

I'm a Pooh sized girl and I can ride everything at Disney.

The only ride I've had any issues with is Space Mountain
    and that's due to getting down so low due to my knees
  3. Tink

Tink Cead Mille Failte! Staff Member Administrator

I think she'll be fine. :yes: I know that your Mom is concerned about her being embarrassed (your Aunt) but really, loads of folks who are not runway model thin go to Disney and have a grand time.

The CMs will know how to address her size and accommodate her weight on a given attraction. It's what they do!

And since no offense was intended, then none could possibly be taken, eh? :hug2:
  4. Lisa1976

Lisa1976 Addicted to Mickey

I am also of the pooh shaped variety :) I think overall she will be fine, the only thing she may find is that the seats may pinch a little on soarin and Test Track if she does those. I have never done Mission Space as I know its very constricting and I would panic, so not sure on that one.
  5. gwennie81

Thanks, y'all!!!!!!!!!
    The weekend they will be here is the last weekend of the FAWF, which is MY favorite time of the year to go to Epcot so, I always want to share that with whoever is in town. My aunt means a lot to me and I just want her to be able to have a good time. I think that if she does decide she wants to go, we'll have SO much fun! Plus, I just looked and Big Bad Voodoo Daddy is playing that weekend so, bonus for me!
  6. gwennie81

PS> I am NOT a petite princess myself. I actually have a hard time getting in and out of some of the rides because my legs are too danged long! (But not in the Heidi Klum way, more in the Andre the Giant way). It's not a graceful sight to see me wedging in and out of Space Mountain.
  7. tabby

tabby Earning my ears

Mansfield in Nottinhamshire, England. In fact , Sh
    I love this thread, i love that I can describe myself as POOH shaped xxx

I announced this morning (again) that I am going on a diet ( again).

I have a year to my holiday and a disney holiday is tiring add to the fact i worry if this is going to be the time a cast member looks embarrassed and shakes his head at me and I have to get off a ride.

I hope your family and esspecially your auntie had a wonderfull holiday xxxxxxxxxx
  8. Isafari

Isafari Wild Animal Expert

We're off to EPCOT in the morning and will be doing Soarin'. I'll see if there are any limitations for the ride if that may also help.
  9. Tinkfan

Tinkfan Earning my ears

:wave: I know you'll have a blast with your Aunt, in all my years of going I've never seen anyone turned away form weight but I have from other health reasons.
  10. Isafari

Isafari Wild Animal Expert

Weasked today and there are no weight limits and, the seats are about 5 inches wider than VA economy seats. I think she'd be fine Gwennie :yes:

All it does mention is people with motion sickness or fear of heights may choose not to ride.
  11. chief

chief Earning my ears

although i have dropped a couple of dress sizes due to my gall stones, just wait till i have them out. no cream cake or cheese cake will be safe:tongue:
  12. montymouse

montymouse Imagineer

What a kind and thoughtful thread - I have never seen anyone turned away from any ride for being Pooh shaped! I would just like to add to the above post for Soarin' that I suffer from vertigo and hate heights, but had a blast on this ride and would absolutely recommend it to any one (and we ended being at the top!)

Have a great time!
  13. katycoco

katycoco Imagineer

I love this post ,
    I look at myself as more ursula, haha.
    I have been really worried about my size but reading lots of fourums I am now convinced I will be fine.

Not long now

Kate:wave
  14. tabby

tabby Earning my ears

How did it go? xxx
    Did she have a great time?
  15. gwennie81

Oh my goodness! YES!

I've taken her to Epcot twice and Animal Kingdom once since my original post.

Soarin' was not a problem. You drive your scooter right into the ride and a CM will park it for you. I got Bev buckled in (the lap belt *just* fit). She loves that ride now! LOL! :yes:
    The only thing she doesn't like is the fireworks at the end of the ride. She learned from the first time and so the second time we went, she put earplugs in! LOL! She's so funny.
  16. tabby

tabby Earning my ears

Awh bless her, so glad she, and you all had a fun time. xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx