help me to like california grill again?

Discussion in 'Walt Disney World Restaurants, Dining, Dining Plan' started by keith, Jan 9, 2015.

1. keith

keith Administrator Staff Member Administrator

Home Page:
    I used to love CGRILL I really did.

Used to book it a couple of times per trip, go up and watch the fireworks either from the balcony or from the table. All lovely. In fact, some of my fondest memories are just watching wishes from the table with a glass of good champagne in my hand. One of those SIGGGGGGGH moments.

We used to go to the checkin desk and say "look we have a reservation at 9, and we'd love a table by the window. We totally understand no one will leave until after theyve seen the fireworks and thats fine, but I just want to be able to look out over the magic kingdom whilst we have our meal".... They'd say "ok well it'll be 10pm until a seat" I'd say "fine". Sometimes they'd magically find a table at 9, sometimes it'd be 10.

So now, they've changed all the menu added sushi which I hate :( I'd like to be all pretentious and say I love it but I just don't. They've taken my fave beef fillet with bbq off the menu and instead we've got a ton of other stuff none of which seems amazing.

Had a right faff with them in November. Did my usual "table by the window speech" and the CM kept cutting me off and saying no we cant promise no you wont see the fireworks.... I was trying to say look I dont mind about the fireworks! I just want to sit by the window when tables free up and I'll wait? You wouldn't believe how shirty they got over it :(

Finally we get up there and they seat us at a window, but all the way round the other side. I thought ok well I should just give up at this point but the kicker was, there were LOADS of empty tables on the magic kingdom side!!! I mean, I can only think that they just do it to annoy me? I can't see another reason for it? (I guess there'll be some reason like the server on those tables had enough tables already or something but :/ ).

Anyway, I got the manager to move us but she was incredibly arsey about it too. Let me tell you, this was NOT a Disney friendly experience.

The server was fine (phew) and the food was.... passable but mega expensive for what it was.

So, my theory is that the california grill is now just all talk. It's now one of these places living on its past reputation and people not liking to come out and say it's rubbish.

Someone talk me out of it please beceause I miss the view :(

2. Tink

Tink Administrator Staff Member Administrator

Do champagne and dessert. :hug2:

3. robertcraig

robertcraig Well-Known Member

retired
    Airdrie, North Lanarkshire, United Kingdom
    Only been to the California Grill before it was refurbished had a lovely meal an a window table maybe give it a try this year

4. keith

Home Page:
    That's a really good idea! Do you think they'd kinda frown upon that, or? I dont want to get into a situation where they expect a gratuity from a $250 meal and we end up spending $150 on champagne and dessert.

5. Tink

Tink Administrator Staff Member Administrator

I don't think they have any business frowning on that. You book a table, you order what you order, and you pay your tip based on what you spend. If it's a glass of bubbly each, that's probably what? $40? $10-15 each for dessert? $70? With tip on that of $14 or so? It won't be inexpensive by any means, but definitely proper to do so. The plus side for the server is that it's easy work!

6. Beccaberry

Beccaberry Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Website Manager/IT
    Similar to what Tink said....we do apps and drinks only, now. It was a wonderful experience in October. We scheduled for later in the evening, walked down the path from the MK to the Contemporary just before the fireworks. Took the elevator up, grabbed a drink from the bar, popped out on to the catwalk to watch the fireworks, and then back in for another drink from the bar before being seated. I told our server we were going to be doing small plates and drinks (vs. a traditional meal) and he was 100% fine with that choice - even offering suggestions along the way. His service was impeccable - replacing our plates and flatware between each course, and always being attentive. We really enjoyed ourselves immensely!

Perhaps that's an option?

7. uscwest

uscwest Moderator Staff Member Moderator

We've done CG twice since the refurb and both times we have been delighted. Now truthfully we don't ask for the window seats, but like most places we space out our order so it doesn't all come at once.

8. keith

Home Page:
    how do you mean you space out your order USC? because I do have problems there with them bringing courses before the last one is over :/ is that what you mean?

9. uscwest

I don't order my entree until after we've eaten our appetizers. And I tell them that up front that I'm going to do it that way.

10. robertcraig

robertcraig Well-Known Member

retired
    Airdrie, North Lanarkshire, United Kingdom
    That's a good idea

11. keith

Home Page:
    Really! wow I didn't know they'd be ok with that but that's brilliant. I HATE it when we get the main course and we're still eating the appertizers. Especially when they try and re-arrange the table whilst I'm eating to fit all the plates on

12. uscwest

We've been doing it that way for years. That way of we don't feel like a full meal after appetizers we can order smooth, order dessert or just pay our bill. At JIKO we've been known to have several inserted of an entree slaved out.

13. uscwest

That should have said "if" and "some more" and "spaced out"