1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome both old friends and new to the all new Walt Disney Secrets :-D Please take a moment to say hi

Help Old Tink Decide...

Discussion in 'Gadgets and Gizmos' started by Tink, Mar 23, 2013.

1. Tink

Tink Cead Mille Failte! Staff Member Administrator

Should she? Would it be a good idea? Can she make the switch? Will she like it better now?

I have the opportunity to have an iPhone 5. :yes: I currently and a total devotee of Android (have an LG right now). I'm not so thrilled with Android (or maybe it's just this LG? and the Samsung before it?) anymore.

Had an original iPhone and HATED it. :sorry:

So? Now? All these generations later... should I give it a go? :unsure:

2. Britchick

Britchick Cast Member

well first tell me why you hated the original iPhone :yes:

3. keith

keith Camera nut Staff Member Administrator Forum Host

oh gosh my favourite thing to talk about :lol: yet I don't have a good answer

I have just about every phone going, they come into the office and I try them all. Some I like more than others but I ALWAYS end up back with the iphone. It's comfortable and familiar, it has the most apps, and it works consistently (For me). It's *not* exciting any more, android is definitely more customisable.

Should you do it? I'd have said yes because I suspect you want reliability more than excitement :lol: but if you hated the first one, the 5 hasnt changed much

4. Tink

It's been a long time... :D It wouldn't hold a connection, the screen was so small texting was torture (I have large hands and preferred at that time keys over touchscreen). The features were not anything that seemed to work consistently. Remember, I'm talking the first iPhone so I know that they've come a long way from that time...

Oh! And battery life. GEEEEEZ!!!! I was carrying the plug in cord around with me constantly. It ran out of power like a bleeding artery... that drove me nuts.

5. keith

hmmmm going to be interesting this :lol:

Connection on a GOOD iphone should be excellent (there are faulty models all too common with bad connection)
    screen is ALMOST the same size it was.. just a little larger (apple feel that they want to keep it small for one handed use)
    features are more robust now IMHO
    battery life - most people charge it whenever they can, it's still not fantastic

bearing in mind I like the iphone best, Im not painting a rosy picture I realise.

What are your other options if any?

6. Tink

Keep my LG (lovingly referred to as the television because it is so large) or switch to the iPhone 5. I don't need to switch, it's just an offer and I'm intrigued by it.

I like the idea of being able to be on the phone and do other tasks... is that a reality? I've read one review where it said it is NOT. I really would like a phone that allows me to talk and text at the same time. The LG will, but it's so variable (am I doing something wrong, and just getting it right rarely) that it's frustrating, so I don't much try.

Camera? Not so fussed about. I use a phone camera only for "oh, let me get a shot of this product/price so I can compare it in the other store" and things like that. More used for a photo memory sort of thing.

I use my phone to talk on but would like to have it now act as a phone and the "old" pda. Remember those? I LOVED mine Palm IIV and really miss carrying my life around in a data manager.

7. Johnie

Johnie Budget Queen Forum Host

I love my iPhone. It's truly the perfect size. At least for me. I got talked into some ginormous Android phone for a day last year. Hated it!!! It was too big. If I wanted a phone that big I could get a iPad.
    The battery life for the iPhone is still not good though. My only complaint.

8. Tink

See? I don't mind a large phone. Remember, my first smart phone was Herself with the Motorola Android and that sucker was a brick. That's the one I traded the original iPhone in for (it had a keyboard).

I really, really prefer keyboards, but apparently I'm the only person left on earth who does as smart phones do not come with them any more. The LG I currently have has a really good talk text feature so I can avoid using the keyboard often. It's also why I don't mind a larger phone as it has a larger touchscreen.

I just want it to perform well, and all the time. :D And without having to constantly be plugged in which is what I remember from the first iPhone. I could not get through the day. Seems as though I remember it being good for only a few hours between full charges... even with the extended battery.

9. Beccaberry

Beccaberry She's beccalicious! Forum Host

Jon finally switched. He didn't want to. He desperately wanted to like the Samsung S3 (or S4, now) as he's always preferred the android phones. But the size just put him off. He couldn't convince himself that he'd get used to it - and it didn't pass his deal breaker "thumb test" (holding the phone in the palm of his hand, he HAS to be able to touch all four corners of the phone, or it's a no go in his book), he says he will never own a phone that has to be held in two hands.

Is he happy with the iPhone 5? Meh. He hates using iTunes, hates it. He misses the flexibility he had with an android when it comes to adding music and video. He hates that they're so proprietary. But there are other things he likes. He says the sound is better, and it's a bit easier to use the iPhone as an actual phone, and he likes the size of it.

He bought the 5 a bit begrudgingly because he needed a new phone and nothing else on the Verizon market met his needs. And, while he's not been converted to the Church of Apple, he doesn't grumble quite as much as I thought he would.

10. Britchick

Britchick Cast Member

things have definitely come on a lot since the original ones, has anyone got one that you can play with? It's a lot of money to then not like it

11. keith

Right... now if you don't mind, or prefer a large phone, I would be recommending the samsung s2/s3/s4 but I know that's not a choice :/

Theyre KILLER phones, really great but for me, too large for to use one handed and android

That makes perfect sense, I would just say that you're NOT the only person left who wants a keyboard. We have people every day phone in at work asking about smart phones with a keyboard. There ARE options... the most funky being the new blackberry Q10
    nseries_black_front-1.jpg

There's also the motorola:-
    http://www.motorola.com/us/consumers/MOTOROLA-PHOTON-Q/m-PHOTON-Q-4G-LTE,en_US,pd.html

And an attempt to get funding to make an iphone fold out keyboard
    http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/matrix/spike-makes-the-iphone-as-easy-to-type-on-as-it-is

It truly depends how much you use it and how good a signal you get. If you use it a lot for actual calls mixed with poor cell reception, it will expend energy finding a signal and last much less time than if youre in an area with excellent coverage.

I'm a text-a-whatsapp-holic and my iphone easily lasts a day but if I start making some lengthy calls, I start wanting to plug it in at work to make sure it'll last.

The other thing is, I always thought you'd love iphone but when you got android you took to it much more easily.

I do love my iphones and keep coming back to them but would YOU like it :/ hmmmmm!

12. Tink

HEYHEYHEYHEY! :mental: That Motorola is exactly what I want!! I'm going to search for it and see if it's available with Verizon.

Please don't be offended, but I reallllllly don't like blackberry. :sorry: My sister has one and ugh. Buggy isn't the half of it.

I want to like the iPhone!! I feel weird NOT liking it. I mean, I AM and Apple person, after all. :D

Thank you a million everyone for your helpful comments and information. I'm going to check out that Motorola for SURE!

13. Tink

Just looked at that keyboard too. Is that available for iPhones? :unsure: Wasn't too sure what the article was telling me (but that's what I get for skimming and not reading). :sorry:

14. Tink

The Motorola doesn't seem to be available with Verizon. :( :( :(

15. keith

Oh I completely understand! We're blackberry partners and we call them crapberry *BUT* they've totally changed with this latest version. They've redone both the hardware and the software so its NOTHING like it used to be.

Ive had to overcome years of saying theyre awful to say actually the latest ones are very good indeed. Easily as good as the iphone AND the q10 has a keyboard.

Seriously, you cant judge them by the old phones

yeah definitely. I really want to recommend the i5 but it's those niggles you've had in the past, I Dont think theyve gone

16. Tink

Well, that is interesting about the Blackberry. :yes: I had heard on NPR one day on my way to work that they were working on improving the phone. They feared losing so much of the market that they'd go belly up. Seems like it must have happened.

17. Wendy

Wendy A hui hou kakou makuakane Staff Member Administrator

Do you remember Chris' phone, he has an old Samsung S2 - is that right Keith :unsure: He showed you what the keyboard was like on that because the keyboard is larger when you turn it on the side. He really likes it, but was put off the S3 because it was too large, he is an Android person, but he is seriously thinking about the next new iphone because it is supposed to be bigger than the iphone 5.

I know you don't like Samsung, but they have come a long way from the useless pieces of plastic they used to be :lol:

I never wanted an iphone, but now I have one, I don't think I would have anything else - Keith converted me :lol:

18. keith

I think the samsung S2 was kind of a sweetspot. REALLY worked well and not too huge

The other thing worth knowing is that the iphone has a patent on how it detects keys. So it may look like a key is only so big BUT it gets to knows words you type a lot and so if you're a little off pressing the key perfectly, it'll guess. In other words it gets better as you go on.

oh heck yes definitely

yeah I knew you'd like it :D

19. Tink

I had the Samsung, and Herself still has it. I gave my to the boy's Da, and got the LG...

I like the sounds of the iPhone "learning" my touch. :yes: Is there a new one coming out soon? :unsure: Seems like every time I decide on something, it's the "last version" and a new one comes out just before I get the "old" one. :unsure:

20. keith

yeah its quite clever... if it you type Disney a lot but you always end up actually pressing Dosney (although it'd autocorrect that anyway) but if Dosney was an actual work but you ended up deleting it all the time to do Disney, it'd learn that you normally meant that and start typing that. It can also do things like if it thinks you mean to press D and I, it will make the I square larger (you dont see it) so you've more chance of hitting the right key

yes the rumours are there'll be a new one announced in perhaps june for an august release. Some people are even suggesting a surprise May launch

one way or another this year there'll be a new one. PROBABLY a 5s (small upgrade) rather than a 6 but no one knows for sure