1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome both old friends and new to the all new Walt Disney Secrets :-D Please take a moment to say hi

Help us make this trip work please :) Easter 2015 - plane bought !

Discussion in 'General' started by Skywatcher, May 19, 2014.

1. Skywatcher

Skywatcher Chief Astronomer

Well its been a hell of a couple of weeks ( hence my absence ).

2 of the people I have worked with for 15 years who I consider my mentors and close friends have retired leaving the place feeling very strange and rudderless. ( Also insanely busy)
    Unfortunately one of our remaining colleagues rang up last week to tell us that he is being investigated for something very sinister :( - life eh? never lets up for a minute does it.

So fully charged with Carpe diem I rang Virgin as it was 11 months to the day that the return flight for our proposed trip, ie the date of release. 1 flight pretty much booked already ( it was 9 am - presume a lot of it is pre allocated to travel agents etc)

So even though we have 40 billion virgin miles they wouldn't let us use any apart from miles+money as ' oh no sir we don't do reward flights on popular flights like this'

eeergh.

Ok so how many travelling ?

5 - 2 adults and 3 kids

An adult is over 12 sir?

4 adults and 1 kid

I won't embarrass myself by telling you the noise I made when he told me the cost of a return to florida going out on Good friday and returning 2 weeks later.
    Suffice to say that the cost was 3x that of the total cost of the honeymoon Lisa and i took to WDW in 1999 including park tickets and food.

Can I pay that in installments?

no, now or we open them up for someone else

...... and that is with miles and money

oh yes <laughs> you should see it without !

Well the deed is done - it did rather take the wind out of the sails - usually the emtion following the purchasing of tickets is one of great elation and excitement - not guilt and hand wringing.

Anyway that passed and we are going back :D

It will be our last trip as a complete family probably - Thomas will nearly be 15 and he will be going on to other things in life - so its important to do this

We are going to need a lot of help from you my friends its been 7-8 years since we last went

:)

2. Tink

Tink Cead Mille Failte! Staff Member Administrator

I've been worried about you. Although, I am sorry for the stress at work, I am very relieved your absence is not due to Ben's health.

The plane fares are unbelievable, aren't they? :( We keep looking and looking and looking for affordable flights to Ireland, and or the UK. We are still looking.

It has been some time since you've been over. So? Where would you like us to start catching you up?! :D

Skywatcher likes this.
  3. Dizneyblonde

Dizneyblonde Secret's Birthday Fairy!

Last family trip?
    Mine are 20 and 18 and we are planning our 'last' trip for 2016...

Where are you staying?

Britchick likes this.
  4. Skywatcher

No idea yet

We were thinking either wilderness or animal kingdom villa or contemporary tower room but we need to either buy DVC points or wait for avaliability nearer the time to get from Disney direct - we are a 5 now after all

Will need help with that for sure - maybe someone on here could help with that.

Will have to plan our ADRs and book those for sure

But accomodation will be our first thing to sort

5. keith

keith Camera nut Staff Member Administrator Forum Host

yayayayay so glad you booked! the prices are insane you're so right but yah know, can't take it with you and all that ;-)

I love contemporary tower room MK view but really only for that castle from the window feel.... The feeling of checking in at wilderness lodge or animal kingdom lodge is just unsurpassed in my experience. Ok, you can walk back to the contemporary, but getting that boat back to the wilderness lodge at 2 in the morning is something special too :)

You can't go wrong with any of those choices

6. Britchick

Britchick Cast Member

I'm thinking your boys would love Animal Kingdom Lodge. A 1 bed with savannah view would be perfect, you can make breakfast and full meals if you wanted with plenty of space. There is also a washing machine and dryer so you don't have to take too many clothes or buy stuff out there. Some people hate washing on holiday but i find that just putting one load on per day is perfect for us and with the bigger tumble dryers nothing seems to need ironing!

7. keith

I'm feeling quite jealous as I type this. AKL is wonderful, just wonderful. I think the atmosphere is second to none. Perhaps it's because it's a way out on its own but I can still remember checking in the first time, seeing the animals, hearing the african music in the background at the bus stop. Then wandering out one evening to look over the savannah and meeting the exchange CMs who were so eager to tell me all about their homeland and point out the various animals.

I really think I'd go to AKL wherever it was located, it's almost a holiday in itself if you get involved with it.

yeah we've always washed so we don't have to take a ton of clothes, no big deal (other than the first time we went and put a load of clothes on at the polynesian on christmas morning, came back an hour later to find them flung on the floor so some one else could pinch the machine)

Watchinherskip and Britchick like this.
  8. Skywatcher

Just being sensible - it will definitely be our last Disney trip together in this way for lots of reasons.

9. Skywatcher

We have ALWAYS needed to wash on holiday now with 3 boys going we may as well just stay in a laundrette

10. Dawn

Dawn carpe diem-ing Forum Host

*cough*Villa*cough

11. Tony G

Tony G Serious Forum Regular

You looking for a job, Dawn?!

12. Dawn

Dawn carpe diem-ing Forum Host

I'm a villa convert. Even with all the onsite perks you can't make me give up my separate bedrooms, private pool, full kitchen and laundry facilities. Last trip I also had a private fishing jetty.

13. Skywatcher

Completely understand that - which is why we have done villa holidays in other places. The boys suddenly seem too big to be in one room together.

However I really don't want to be driving in Florida - I know its easy and I have driven in many countries including the US and the more petrifying Greece. But, daft as it sounds, I can never relax completely if I'm driving and if its going to be mental busy, not overly keen on spending a lot of time in traffic jams

keith and Watchinherskip like this.
  14. uscwest

uscwest Senior Cast Member

Greece is indeed petrifying. I drove from Glyfada into downtown Athens. All the way in it was a four lane road, 2 in each direction. I got into downtown and suddenly those two lanes were still there but they were 5-6 cars wide.

15. Beccaberry

Beccaberry She's beccalicious! Forum Host

Airfare is really off its rocker right now, isn't it? We were hoping for a trip to the UK this summer - even for just the two of us - and I've not been able to find a thing that isn't downright horrifying.

But. It's done. So let the planning begin!!!!

AKL sounds lovely and was my first choice for our upcoming trip with my dad and mom, but I just couldn't get the availability I needed - so now we're looking at Fort Wilderness.

What are your dates again?

16. Watchinherskip

Watchinherskip Better known as "That Guy"

So true!! Loved AKL! Wonderful to catch your breath at the end of the day around the big fireplace with a glass of wine, kick your feet up on the edge of the edge of the fireplace and take it all in!

Last edited: May 20, 2014
  17. Watchinherskip

Watchinherskip Better known as "That Guy"

DW Sally found a trip to Ireland for $999 including air fare, rental car and lodging for 7 days...seriously thinking about it.

Beccaberry likes this.
  18. Beccaberry

Beccaberry She's beccalicious! Forum Host

Oh I would be sorely tempted, Dan!!

19. Johnie

Johnie Budget Queen Forum Host

This is on travelzoo quite often. I swear I'm
    just going to go by myself

20. keith

very easy to get from ireland to mainland uk by ferry etc although there's so much to do in Ireland itself anyway!

Watchinherskip likes this.