1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome both old friends and new to the all new Walt Disney Secrets :-D Please take a moment to say hi

highlights from Cornwall

Discussion in 'Non Disney Trips and Travels' started by Dawn, Jun 10, 2012.

1. Dawn

Dawn carpe diem-ing Forum Host

Just a few notes and some photos will follow

We went to Cornwall for our half term break again. Same group of cottages but different cottage this time. We've been lucky in the past with the weather so this time we need to improvise a bit around the rain.

Adrian as usual had his normal plan to be on the road by 6am. :point: At 8am we set off. By 10am we were stuck in traffic in Dorset. I don't mind traffic jams. I can look at the other cars and see how much luggage they've crammed in without popping the rear windscreen. I can also make scary faces at other people's small children. :evil:

Eventually we escaped Dorset and were in our cottage/bungalow thing by 3pm, having made a brief stop in Liskeard for provisions. Adrian was panicking as it was the jubilee/double bank holiday weekend and he was convinced the country would shut down so bought enough food to last at least a month. :lol:

Sunday morning was a bit manky but around 10am it started to clear so we loaded up and went down to Looe for the day. We arrived at low tide and was intending to go to the "dog beach" for rockpooling and dog fun. Us and many others however found access to the beach closed due to collapsing steps. Adrian took the dogs for a play in the harbour instead and I supervised the only person in the whole of Cornwall who went swimming - Steven. About half an hour later I dragged him out because my feet were numb with cold. Had a wander round the town then in to the Ship Inn for lunch. Lasagne for Steven, cottage pie for me, steak and ale pie for Adrian and dog biscuits for Lucy and Willow. After lunch it was crabbing time so we bought our bits of mackerel and joined everyone else on the harbour wall catching crabs. A bucket full of crabs were released some time later and we headed back to the car (via the cake shop). Crabbing in Looe is now my best. :D

Next day was...raining a bit. :lol:

We went here -> http://www.wheal-martyn.com/

Spent a good few hours here - good fun. Steven was allowed a small something from the gift shop. He chose a jar of raspberry jam. :rotfl:

Then we went here -> http://www.swlakestrust.org.uk/lakes-and-facilities/the-lakes/siblyback-lake for a walk along by the lake and an ice cream.

Tuesday we had to give up a day of our holiday to visit the inlaws or mother in law would have a major sulk. Suffice to say I'm not happy about this but put up with it. After a very overcooked lunch - soggy rice, they suddenly remembered their laptop wasn't working properly and had Adrian mend it. Then we drove to Widemouth Bay near Bude. Low tide and lots of fun for the dogs but very windy.

When we got back to the bungalow...erm, well the water tank had sprung a leak. :mental: Adrian started to try and get to it while I called all the emergency numbers available and got no answer on any of them. :mental: I phoned the agent who we booked through and he went :mental: Luckily the bungalow next to us was empty so after draining the water tank and switching off the supply we moved all our possessions next door. Which looked like it had been furnished in the 1970s. :point:

Wednesday morning I met the landlord and showed him where the leak was - yeah it's where that big bit of corrosion is. :lol:

We went off to Seaton beach for the day. This is the dog's best. Again there was one person in the sea and my feet went numb with the cold. However it appeared that we were in a hot spot as it got very warm and more people appeared. The black clouds all around somehow managed to miss us. So the morning was on the beach, then cheesy chips in the cafe, a walk in the country park then back on the beach for a game of cricket until Willow ran off with the ball. On the drive home it was clear there had been some serious rain around but we didn't see any on the beach.

Thursday it was really raining. Someone had ordered a monsoon. We had a little drive around but when you have dogs you're limited on where to go in the rain. Eventually we went back to bungalow #2 and Adrian offered to stay with the dogs while I took Steven somewhere. We went here -> http://www.kidzworldcornwall.co.uk/ Steven's idea of heaven, my idea of hell. He played for about 3 hours while I watched unruly, unsupervised children for about 3 hours before we headed out of there.

Friday and last day. We went back to Looe. We like it there. Tide was in so we did a bit more crabbing. Oooh did I mention the gale force winds. Well we had one crab in our bucket of water before the wind blew it, and the line into the sea. :eek: Back to the Ship for lunch and then to the bakers for strawberry tarts. Then we drove to West Looe beach which is dog friendly and full of rockpools. Played there for an hour before driving to Polperro for a walk down the the harbour and an ice cream.

Finally I drove here -> http://www.adrenalinquarry.co.uk/

I wanted to do the zip wire but no one would go with me and it was still windy and the idea of walking back up from the bottom alone in the cold wind put me off. Next time I'm doing it though.

One more bit of drama to end though. Steven was sick in the night so there we were at 2am cleaning carpets and trying to get rid of the smell. :eek:

So that was it. Took a bit more thinking than normal because of the weather but we still had fun. Apart from the visit by the vomit fairy. Next year is Florida (check out the countdown) but we will return to Cornwall. Next time we'll go further in though - Perranporth area I think. Apart from anything it will take us out of daytrip reach of the inlaws. Also we've kind of exhausted dog friendly options in the Liskeard area now so need a new challenge. I will go back and do the zip wire though.

Photos to follow

2. Wendy

Wendy A hui hou kakou makuakane Staff Member Administrator

Sounds like you had a good time Dawn, despite the weather. It really has been terrible this year :sigh: It's not much better now either.

You will love the Perranporth area :D I used to go there all the time when I was younger, we'd go for the day and play in the sand dunes, it can be a loooonnnngggggg walk to the sea if the tide is oout though :lol: You will also be closer to Flambards which is good for a day out :yes:

Looking forward to seeing the photos :D

3. Dawn

We went to Perranporth when Steven was 3 so know the area a bit. Not been with dogs yet though.

Oooh the Smugglers at Seaton looks like it's under new management so the food might have improved. Didn't try it though as we all wanted cheesy chips. :D

4. Britchick

Britchick Cast Member

Sounds perfect Dawn

5. Wendy

Wendy A hui hou kakou makuakane Staff Member Administrator

The Smugglers :lol: we haven't been there for years, it used to be a weekly trip for us, we really liked it. I think the last time we went there was before Chris and I were married so that's at least 24 years ago :lol:

I wouldn't go to Newquay though, unless you like a fun town full of young people who's main aim is to get drink and have a good time :sigh: It breaks my heart to see how it has turned out :(

Crantock beach is nice it has rock pools and some dunes and you always used to be able to take dogs onto the beach. There is also still a lovely little bakery that sells pasties, they are as close to home made you will ever get :D

6. Beccaberry

Beccaberry She's beccalicious! Forum Host

Sounds like a lovely holiday, swamp cottage and vomit fairy, notwithstanding. Can't wait for the photos!

7. Kate

Kate Serious Forum Regular

It sounds like you had a great time! Got to make the most of a holiday, whatever the weather! Cornwall is beautiful, St Ives is one of my favourite places :yes:

8. daveann

daveann Addicted to Mickey

was there anything breadmaker shaped to report :)

9. Watchinherskip

Watchinherskip Better known as "That Guy"

Great report Dawn, do I take it that the object in your country is to catch crabs...then do your best to let them go?:unsure:

That wouldn't fly on the Chesapeake....too too tasty for that.

10. Dawn

The crabbing we do is just for fun - catching small shore crabs then letting them go. We do have a crabbing industry though. Cornwall is famous for its crab.

11. catrancher

catrancher Assistant Cruise Director Forum Host

:worthless:

Tom :)macwave:... just sayin'...)