1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome both old friends and new to the all new Walt Disney Secrets :-D Please take a moment to say hi

**Holiday Hints & Tips**

Discussion in 'Disney Secrets!' started by Isafari, Jun 2, 2010.

1. Isafari

Isafari Wild Animal Expert

Taking the lead from a couple of recent posts, I thought we could keep a sticky thread compiled of hints & tips from your holiday experiences.

As you post any hints/tips that you know of, I will take them and put them in this first post under topic titles.

Please post if you can add to the list.

:applaudit::applaudit::applaudit::applaudit::applaudit:

EPCOT

When visiting the World Showcase, make it a goal to speak to at least one cast member of each country. Ask some questions about the country; show interest. You'll be amazed at how welcome your interest will be!

Have a good look at the sides of each country and go around to the backs too. There are some amazing things hidden away!

At Epcot, be sure to watch the fountain after passing Spaceship Earth... I am not sure how frequent it is, but there is a music show and the fountain goes up and down with the music the last show used to be after Illuminations... so dont run out of the park to stand at the bus stop for 45 minutes... better to take your time, sit on one of the benches close to the fountain and enjoy the show

Go into Club Kool at Epcot & try all the different soda's! Its great fun - especially 'beverley'!!

MAGIC KINGDOM

Book an ADR for the 1st morning - you will be up early anyway & we went to Cinderella's Castle for 8.10am - it was brill walking down a nearly empty Main Street & we got some brill pics.

Take your time and ejoy the little things, the background music or the details of the windows.

at the closing of the parks, I like to take my time getting out & just stroll through the basically empty walkways & enjoy the peace & quiet. I never rush out to the busses, I relish the emptiness & find a bench to sit on & take in a nice view of the castle while everyone else fights the crowd to their way to the bus stop

RESTAURANTS/ADR'S

If you're traveling with children and don't have plans to go back to the hotel midafternoon (which is a BRILLIANT idea, IMO) try making an ADR at a "sit down" restaurant...this can do wonders...a bit of time in the air conditioning, a nice place to sit down and relax, perhaps a character encounter...it can go far in rejuvenating you for the evening!!

On that same note, MAKE ADR'S IN ADVANCE!!! Gone are the times we you could realistically "walk in" at table service restaurants....do your research (right here on these boards!!) and make some plans before your trip!

ONSITE

If you are staying onsite get an early morning call, it's all done on the phone in your room and get your kids to answer it.... do it several times during your stay, it's free and there will be a surprise person to greet them

if staying at the Wilderness Lodge check into being a 'Flag Family'. You get to go up on the roof (which is awesome!) & raise all the flags! It's quite a ceremony.

GENERAL

Always buy bottled water at WalMarts or Publix and take them half frozen to the parks. It really does save on money if you have four people drinking water all day every day, it soon adds up.

If you are celebrating something special, ask at a WDW park's Guest Relations if they have a badge (free) for the celebration. They have all sorts now, birthday, anniversary, wedding... first visit!

If you're NOT staying on-site at Disney . . you can still visit their hotel resorts to have a look around and also to eat at their restaurants. If you're driving, just take some ID with you and the security guards will issue you with a 3 hour car pass.

on a rainy day hop on the monorail & 'resort hop'...just check out the three resorts on the monorail system. They are really very beautiful! One of my favorite things to do

If you have two lines, always go to the left. Most people will go to the right

you can get a cup of water for free, just ask

If you have seen the parades and arent that bothered then go to the biggest rides during that time. Also do the big rides first when there are less queues

Whenever the CMs ask for volunteers, raise your hand! It is a great chance for you to embarass your family

CHILDREN

bring a stroller if you have small kids!! even if you rent one in the parks it won't help when they fall asleep on the bus ride back to the resort & then you have to carry them on the trek to your room.
    Last edited: Jun 2, 2010
  2. daisybow

daisybow Earning my ears

Thanks! These are really quite clever :hug2:
  3. Tinkfan

Tinkfan Earning my ears

I would especially like to hear of tips around the holidays, (Christmas) Is there things we should not miss?
  4. kona

kona Earning my ears

At Epcot World Show Case, almost every country has a Santa that represents that country,who will tell wonderful Christmasl stories.

Don't miss the special christmas party at the Magic kingdom. This is a hard ticket event.

At the Animal Kingdom, over at Camp Mickey/Minnie, they have all kinds of decorated Christmas trees.
  5. Tink

Tink Cead Mille Failte! Staff Member Administrator

One of our favorite (and free!) things to do at the Christmas season is tour the resort hotels and enjoy the holiday themed decorations. Some of the resorts have very elaborate gingerbread creations that are wonderful to see.

Of course, it stops being free when you take the time to enjoy a drink or little snack at each resort! :D
  6. Tink

Tink Cead Mille Failte! Staff Member Administrator

Don't forget that there is a first aid station in each park. These are great places to go to cool off a bit if you are feeling a little overwhelmed. Also, they have things to help for the odd blister, or an oncoming headache, or an insect bite that itches. :yes:

Same with the baby care stations. They are great resources for parents with children (not just babies).
  7. MumToBe88

MumToBe88 Earning my ears

I was panicking about travelling with my baby and this site is the BEST for information thank you
    :wiggle:
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 12, 2011