1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome both old friends and new to the all new Walt Disney Secrets :-D Please take a moment to say hi

Hotels near Epcot/DHS

Discussion in 'Resorts, Hotels, DVC, Villas' started by foreverducky, Nov 28, 2012.

1. foreverducky

foreverducky Addicted to Mickey

I'm looking for opinions. :D

I'm trying to plan a trip for myself and my parents (along with maybe a few other family members). I am mainly trying to decide on a hotel for my parents and I. I think that the Epcot/DHS hotels are fantastic. They always say it's location, location, location, and well, I believe that.

I've stayed at the Dolphin, but none of the others in that area. What's everyone's opinion on the hotels in the Epcot/DHS area?

2. keith

keith Camera nut Staff Member Administrator Forum Host

Gosh, great question!

So many great choices all very individual. I've had many a debate with people over these ;-)

Personally.....
    Dolphin brilliant... love the "normal" hotel in the middle of disney feel although its not as disney as a disney hotel. Love the 24hr shop/food place
    swan smaller but I preferred the dolphin personally

boardwalk - weird ;/ great views sometimes but noisy and kinda weird :/
    yacht club - expensive and I wanted to like it but we just didn't. Our room was just up the stairs as you walk in and so every day we just walked out and didnt really feel there was much actual hotel. Dark, our room overlooked, well, nothing much. Perhaps if we'd had a better view? wouldnt do again
    beach club - closer to epcot and we're trying it for the first time this year

3. foreverducky

Thanks for the input Keith. Too bad about the Yacht Club. I would love to hear how you like the Beach Club.

The only thing I didn't like about the Dolphin were the buses. Sometimes it seemed to take forevvvverrrrrrr! However, those beds really were heavenly.

4. Johnie

Johnie Budget Queen Forum Host

I stayed for a weekend at The Beach Club this past Labor Day weekend. I absolutely loved it!!! I would stay there again in a heartbeat.

You also cannot beat the price for Swan and Dolphin.

5. Tink

Tink Cead Mille Failte! Staff Member Administrator

Looooooove, lovety, love the Beach Club. It's a beautiful resort (reminiscent of my childhood years in Maine, color scheme and style wise). Staff are great, and location is the closest to EPCOT.

Don't like the Yacht Club. :sorry: Really wanted to, and it's very well done to put you in the mood of being on a Yacht, but that's where the "good" ends.

Really, really don't like the Boardwalk Inn. LOATHE the clown pool. :sorry: The Inn itself is set up oddly, with those forever walks to the rooms. The staff are the least pleasant on property and if you are going to be treated badly it will be there. It's noisy! Too weird, but true.

The Swan and Dolphin are just neat. Never stayed though, but relatives have.

So! It's BC all the way!

6. foreverducky

What are the differences between the Beach Club resort rooms and their villas?

7. Tink

Major differences. The resort rooms (the hotel proper) are luxury hotel rooms. They have two doubles, or two queens (can't honestly remember!) or a king. No coffee maker, many have a full balcony, some have a standing only balcony.

The Villas (DVC portion) are either studios or one or two bedrooms. They all have some level of kitchen facility (with studio having a kitchnette [micro/coffee maker/small refrigerator/sink] and all others having full kitchen).

The Villas are separate from the Resort, with their own parking lot. There isn't much of a view for the villas, to be honest. They have their own quiet pool, but you can use any BC pool regardless of where you are staying on BC property. There is another quiet pool for the resort (and of course the large Storm Along Bay).

Does that help at all?

8. foreverducky

It does. But is there a reason as to why someone would want a villa over a room (other than the kitchen stuff)?

9. Tink

Well, that would be my first though. Someone who wants a microwave, refrigerator, and coffee maker handy (for the studio) would choose a studio villa. Definitely choose a villa if you want a full kitchen, a jacuzzi bath, an in-villa laundry room, and more space than a resort room.

That's mostly what has happened to us. Once we stayed in DVC villas we simply are not happy with a "regular" resort hotel room any longer, if only for the coffee maker being in the room. I do like my coffee first thing in the morning, especially when there is a private "porch" to sit on and enjoy it in peace and quiet.

DVC villas are more spacious than resort rooms, too. If more than one person, or one couple is staying together, than DVC really makes a difference space wise, not to mention extra closet space, etc. Now, I'd not stay in a studio with anymore than two, regardless of how many they are supposed to accommodate. Studios really are just larger resort rooms with that kitchenette thing. :D

10. foreverducky

Thanks Tink!

Decisions, decisions! :mental:

11. Wendy

Wendy A hui hou kakou makuakane Staff Member Administrator

What dates are you thinking about?

12. foreverducky

Later September of 2013.

13. Wendy

Wendy A hui hou kakou makuakane Staff Member Administrator

Its a nice time to visit :yes: We are normally there that time of the year, next year we are going early though, we'll be gone by the middle of September. The only thing I dislike about September are the love bugs, but the small crowds make up for it :D

14. Bothepro24

Bothepro24 Earning my ears

I have stayed at every resort in Disney, all are great, a nice option if you haven't tried before are the Cabins at Fort Wilderness, they have 1 queen size bed, 1 bunk bed and a murphy bed in the kitchen/living room area. We have found the Cabins a great money saver if you don't mind preparing your own food, a full kitchen with all the plates untensils, full refrigerator etc. Lots of activities with Fort Wilderness as well, the biggest drawback is the transportation can be confusing, but once figured out you only need to plan on leaving about 20 minutes earlier than if you stayed at the Boardwalk, Beach Club or Yacht Club, and the cost is about 24% less than the above resorts. If you are going during the holidays this place is well decorated.

15. Jaime

Jaime Earning my ears

We love the Beach Club. It's in a great location you can walk to Epcot and Hollywood Studios. After staying here last year I wouldn't stay any where else!