1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome both old friends and new to the all new Walt Disney Secrets :-D Please take a moment to say hi

How about usairways?

Discussion in 'Transportation & Travel' started by AKLnut, Sep 23, 2008.

1. AKLnut

AKLnut Imagineer

Another option for us is US Air they get some good reports but werent they in financial trouble a few years back?
  2. Tink

Tink Cead Mille Failte! Staff Member Administrator

I fly this airlines quite often. It's the only non-stop carrier from Orlando to some of the places I have to go for work.

I'm not too thrilled with them as they charge for every single thing from water to baggage (checked). The seats are ok, but the staff are pretty grumpy.

I usually choose other carriers whenever possible.
  3. Taja

Taja Earning my ears

Many, many years ago, before the merger with US Air, America West Airlines had serious financial problems. They expanded too fast and the economy contracted. To their credit, they worked through it.

Then came the merger with US Air, creating US Airways. To say the least, it was a very sloppy merger and things didn't work very well. The systems didn't communicate and they didn't work the bugs out prior to the operating as a merged company.

Now, with the high cost of fuel, US Airways charges for every little thing. They also have financial issues, along with most US carriers (Southwest excepted) due to those high fuel costs, as well as other mismanagement issues.

As Tink said, I give them a very wide berth when possible. Which is sad. America West Airlines was a home town (Phoenix, AZ) airline and I was loyal to it for a long time--even during their first financial crisis. That loyalty is gone now. :sigh;
  4. PsychoAlice

PsychoAlice Resident Anarchist

Oh you mean US Scareways?
  5. Taja

Taja Earning my ears

Be nice, PA! :wink:
  6. keith

keith Camera nut Staff Member Administrator Forum Host

Wow how things change ;(

I really enjoyed our experiences with us airways several years ago. We used them a lot to and from Orlando with no problems.

Everything back then was included and their in flight entertainment system was the best.

The only thing that put us off them was that they were non-direct

Sounds like they're not a good bet any more though
  7. Taja

Taja Earning my ears

Did you fly US Air or US Airways, Keith? The merger between US Air and America West Airlines created US Airways. One of those funky merger names that makes life a bit difficult at times. :sigh;

What is the website where people post about their airline experiences? Flyertalk, or something like that. Go on there and check it out. You're reading about experiences from only two passengers--three including PA! :)--with less than stellar experiences. You'll find both good and bad on there. Keep in mind, that more people complain about bad experiences than share good experiences!
  8. keith

US Airways definitely

The staff were pretty good to us, they allowed us to carry DW's wedding dress on board in the cabin, carefully hung it up etc. Everything about it was pretty positive other than the fact we had to change to get to orlando :/
  9. Taja

Taja Earning my ears

Then they've definitely gone downhill. I believe they are one of the airlines that removed the entertainment systems to reduce the weight of the plane. Then they began charging for everything from a checked bag to a bottle of water.

Fuel prices have sent the already precarious US airline industry into a tailspin--except Southwest. They may be bare-bones, but they have profitable bones! :lol:
  10. keith

wow removed the entertainment! crazy! it was one of the best types where you could rewind/pause etc. Made the 10hour flight a lot nicer than with other types and in fact most of the virgin planes we get from manchester still dont have systems as good as US AIRWAYS had all those years ago

What a shame!
  11. Taja

Taja Earning my ears

Perhaps the entertainment systems are still on the planes used for international travel? That would make sense, considering the length of the flight.

The US airlines have jetisoned just about anything not essential for operating the plane in the name of cost savings on domestic routes.

Let's hope that's not the case for the international routes!
  12. PsychoAlice

PsychoAlice Resident Anarchist

I was!!
  13. Taja

Taja Earning my ears

That must have been one scarey experience! :shocked025: