1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome both old friends and new to the all new Walt Disney Secrets :-D Please take a moment to say hi

how bad are virgin atlantic meals?

Discussion in 'Transportation & Travel' started by jojo, Sep 1, 2013.

1. jojo

jojo Imagineer

Question for anyone who's been lately using virgin, are the meals as bad as people say or is it just people expecting too much?

We have a couple of fussy eaters and I need to know whether I should expect to have to pack sandwiches

2. Vikki

Vikki Serious Forum Regular

They're fine....nothing to write home about, but theyre OK.

3. Dawn

Dawn carpe diem-ing Forum Host

I think people expect too much from them. They are edible. I usually eat them just because it's something to do.

4. Mags

Mags Serious Forum Regular

I never complained about Virgin food until 5 years ago. To be honest, I think it is dreadful. Back in the 90s it was excellent. I couldn't fault it. Then they started cutting corners. Last time I complained when I came home as I was served a 'slop' that was called chicken korma with no chicken in it and a sandwich with just one tiny piece of cheese and a slice of tomato. I'm not even fussy but oh my goodness, I have never seen anything like it. Virgin food sucks as far as I am concerned. We always but food from M&S for our outward journey and this time it will be rolls from EOS on our way back.

Mags

5. keith

keith Camera nut Staff Member Administrator Forum Host

Got to agree with Mags on this one although every time I say this at work everyone laughs at me and says I'm being too fussy.

I believe they're being too ambitious for what they can reasonably prepare in the environment :/ I'd love the option of some plain, simple sandwiches but spend the money on a decent filling.

One time we went they announced that they were taking less of each dish on board to save waste and so of course, we were stuck with one option. It was an indian dish, unpronounceable, no one knew what it was really other than "it smells like some kind of curry". Well it was just slop, nothing better.

We've often ended up feeling a little off by the end of the flight and since we started packing sandwiches from M&S on the way, subway on the way back. we feel 100% better at the end.

I complained/commented to virgin and was told that the high quality of Virgin meals was a major advantage that kept people coming back :/

Again, I do feel like the odd one out here as everyone at work says the meals are brilliant compared to what they used to be on airlines but I don't feel it personally.

I'd love virgin to partner with subway

Mags likes this.
  6. catrancher

catrancher Assistant Cruise Director Forum Host

While I don't fly Virgin, I have flown other airlines and that's a new definition of the term "high quality" with which I am not familiar. :unsure:

Tom ( :macwave:... airlines and meals are oxymorons)

7. keith

I do admit Virgin TRY hard. The presentation is probably as good as you could expect an airline to achieve, perhaps better. They've stopped doing things like nice little chocolate puddings and so on though :/

8. Vikki

We flew Air Canada this time, and although Virgin meals are OK, I found Air Canada to be excellent!

9. Mags

So the puddings have gone too? Gee, there won't be much left that is worth eating.

Mags

10. Vikki

Those puddings were the best bit :oops:

11. Mags

So what exactly do they serve now? Is there a link to a 'menu'? I do use the word advisedly. :laugh2:

12. keith

There have been lots of little cuts... there wasn't even a bottle of water in the seat back last time we flew. No amenity kit on the way out, that's gone. The pudding pots which I really liked have gone. Quite a lot of tiny things that all added up to bleugh

13. Tink

Tink Cead Mille Failte! Staff Member Administrator

There is a Pancho's in one of the terminals in the Orlando airport. I now that doesn't help much, but if you are lucky enough to be in the same terminal, get one of their (or two!) Cuban sandwiches to go. They are very nice and hold well for the plane. They have some fabulous pastries too.

14. Dawn

Dawn carpe diem-ing Forum Host

OK Mags on the flight out we had a hot meal - beef, chicken, or vegetarian that came with a small pot of salad and a bread roll. Then they came round with drinks and a tiny GU lemon pudding. Shortly before landing they gave us a tiny cheese and pickle sandwich. On the flight we had the same hot meal set up and then a breakfast which was a cereal bar and a muffin.

Yep standards have gone down and the meals have got smaller. However, when I was a student I worked part time for an airline catering place at Gatwick and believe me Virgin is much much better than some of the airlines that fly out of there. Could tell some stories...

15. Mags

Thanks for that Dawn. I'm sure the catering companies have to work within a tight budget and do the best they can within the constraints set. I am OK with not eating the airline food though. It isn't too big a deal for me but for my Aspergers son always gets so worked up about it, so that is why we go with M&S food. Such a pity though that standards have dropped so much.

Mags

Last edited: Sep 2, 2013
  16. Slowhand

Slowhand Cruise Director Forum Host

Thanks to our FC miles, we have been able to fly out in UC for our past few trips, and even here I also have noticed a decline in the quality of the meals on offer.
    That said, they make up for it with the copious amount of drinks on offer. :rolleyes:

17. Britchick

Britchick Serious Forum Regular

i'm always prepared for airline meals to be rubbish, i don't tend to eat much on the plane anyway as it makes me feel ill. I wish they'd just give you a nice butty box- sandwich, cake/biscuit thing, piece of fruit yoghurt etc - surely that's got to be cheaper. Or just abandon the whole thing altogether and you bring your own although i know some people would end up bringing a full 3 course meal stinking the place out!!

18. Deb

Deb Serious Forum Regular

Another vote here for taking sandwiches on board. The last 3 trips we've taken we noticed a definite downgrade in quality of food. And somehow I never expected Virgin to go down to the level where we were asked whether we wanted "beef or fish". That's it, no description of what they were, and the stewards had no idea when asked. At least three times we were told we had no choice at all as they had run out. I quite like having the meals for something to do, but I would always need to take something else on board.

19. Johnie

Johnie Budget Queen Forum Host

Pickle sandwiches?! :eek:

20. Britchick

Britchick Serious Forum Regular

Not the pickles you are thinking of! Pickle is a brown sauce with chunks in, kind of sweet and tangy, good with cheese. Bet you could get some in a store that sells Brit stuff, it's called Branson pickle