1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome both old friends and new to the all new Walt Disney Secrets :-D Please take a moment to say hi

How Disney Cruiseline is reacting to high fuel prices

Discussion in 'Disney Cruise Line' started by eeyoreguy, Aug 29, 2008.

1. eeyoreguy

eeyoreguy Earning my ears

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/business/orl-discruise2808aug28,0,1411969.story

It’s estimated that the annual fuel bill will grow by 20% for them by the end of the year and as a result Disney is looking to possible change their cruise itineraries to hit the various destinations in a better order than what they are doing now.

Once change was already made earlier this summer as the 4 night cruises were re-routed to include two stops at Castaway Cay instead of just one. Meanwhile the Disney Magic is scheduled to undergo a three week rehab next month where they will coat the hull with a new slick coating designed not only to cut down on friction but to try and keep the collection of barnacles and other crud to a minimum. The article also mentions that Disney and about every other cruise line have reduced the speeds that they travel while cruising to cut down on fuel costs as well, extending the time at sea.

2. Slowhand

Slowhand Cruise Director Forum Host

Personally I think that they have made the right move in sacrificing a day at sea for another day at Castaway Cay on their 4 day cruise. :yes:I`m sure that most of their guests would agree.

3. Taja

Taja Earning my ears

Have to agree that it's good strategy to double dip Castaway Cay on the four-day cruises. It's very popular, and hopefully saves a bit of fuel.

Since the ships are destinations in and of themselves these days and there is so much to do on Castaway Cay, I doubt many people will complain much.

'Course, there probably will be a few. There usually are! :)

4. lisaw

lisaw Serious Forum Regular

I can't imagine anyone having any complaints (although i am sure some will!) you still have the option of being onboard, although I'm sure services will be more limited than an at sea day because a lot of the crew work on CC.