1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome both old friends and new to the all new Walt Disney Secrets :-D Please take a moment to say hi

How do you attack the parks?

Discussion in 'Walt Disney World' started by keith, Apr 2, 2013.

1. keith

keith Camera nut Staff Member Administrator Forum Host

OK, weird question I know.

So we've been loads of times like most of you. The first time we went, we got up early, we rushed to a park, we walked all the way round going to every ride, every corner, everywhere we could pack in and still realised we hadn't done it all.

Over the years, we've been so many times that we've fallen into a rut. We say "oh have to go do tta and buzz at epcot". We go, we do, we leave.

I was reading a few threads on here and realised, I can't remember the last time we walked past the garden grill. We've NEVER eaten there! In fact, I Cant remember the last time we went over that way *at all*.

I'm starting to think we're just missing out on lots by doing the same things over and over.

So, how do you do the parks and avoid just doing the faves?

2. Johnie

Johnie Budget Queen Forum Host

With an army of course!

hahahaha sorry couldn't resist.

We truly wing it at this point. You don't ride Soarin at all? Sunshine Seasons is one of the best counter service places on property. You should really go over there and have lunch one day :yes:

3. Wendy

Wendy A hui hou kakou makuakane Staff Member Administrator

Oooo good question.

We tend to just wander round the parks going on the rides if there isn't a long line.

I know what you mean about going to places you don't normally go. Last year at World Showcase, we walked in around the Countries and saw things we've never seen before. We also got some great photopass photographs that were really good.

I'm making a list of things to do and see this year, just to try and do other things for a change.

4. Mags

Mags Serious Forum Regular

Im like a bumble bee on acid! I get up at 7am, hassle the kids, have a quick breakfast and we are at the parks well before opening time. Now I may a little long in the tooth but when it comes to getting those FPs, I can run like a teenager. We usually collect a FP go on the ride, fit in another ride and cup of coffee collect another FP and then get back to ride the first FP ride. It goes on like this all day. We may go back to the hotel for a quick 30mins on the horizontal and then it's shower again and off to the parks for more rides and eats/fireworks. We rarely return to our hotel before 10pm and if we do, then its a swim until midnight or off to DTD. Bedtime is any time between 12am - 1am and then it is up again at 7am.
    Regarding favourite parks, HS is our favourite and MK is our least favourite. We spend about 2 days in total at HS and 1/2 a day at MK. We like AK and Epcot equally and we arent keen on water parks. We only do TL and spend perhaps 3 hours there.

Mags

5. Beccaberry

Beccaberry She's beccalicious! Forum Host

Interesting question! I've never really thought about it too much. We do have a favorites :yes: There are those things that we must do each time we visit - for whatever reason. But we do keep things relatively fresh on our trips, and I guess there are a number of reasons why...

• Meeting up with friends who have different tastes.
      I actually went to a water park last year for the very first time, and LOVED it! I don't think I would have ever gone on my own, but it just so happened that some dear friends of ours :wink: were there and we really wanted to spend the day with them.
    • The likes/desires of my children changing over the years.
      Early on, when the children were younger, it was "All MK, all the time." We ate, slept, and lived for Magic Kingdom. As the kids grew a bit older, their choices changed, and with it, the parks we spent the most time in. This gave us an opportunity to really explore what else was out there.
    • Vacationing with families who have children of different ages.
      Just when we think we've "outgrown" Magic Kingdom, we vacation with our friends who still have very young children, and once again we see the magic and wonder of Disney through their eyes. It's an amazing experience.
    • Different special events.
      Through events like the Flower & Garden Show, The Food & Wine Festival and even experiences like "Kim Possible" we have had the chance to explore areas of "The World" we might never have seen. I love to discover a new favorite - it justifies my argument for going back!
    • These Forums!
      I love to read about what other people enjoy doing, where they enjoy watching fireworks, places they've had a delicious meal, quiet spots they happen across...and when I read something that speaks to me, I jot it down and put it on the agenda for my next trip. Some of my "favorite things" were discovered right here on these boards! So keep sharing!

6. Beccaberry

MAGS!! I'm exhausted just reading your post!!! You're my hero! :worship:

7. Mags

Mags Serious Forum Regular

I know! lol I exhausted myself re reading that! Honestly, my lot are completely drained at the end of a Disney holiday. They are pathetic. They cant even keep up with me.:lol:

Mags

8. Wendy

Wendy A hui hou kakou makuakane Staff Member Administrator

It sounds like the holidays we used to have :lol: we'd come home and need a holiday to get over our holiday :lol:

9. MystikPiglit

MystikPiglit Peace, Love and Mickey Mouse

Hubby nicknamed me 'Themepark Commando'....:surrender: I used to have the whole day planned out to make sure we did everything we wanted to.
    These days we are much more relaxed. We arrive at a Park and, starting from the left usually, we meander round. We look at everything, stop for snacks and people-watching, have leisurely meals and go on the rides that we like.
    Because we always spend more than one day in a Park it's easy to cover all of the attractions, scenery and rides. Some of WDW's most beautiful things are tucked away.
    As the saying goes, 'stop and smell the roses'. :yes:

Keith, study the Parks before your next trip and choose 2 or 3 things/places you haven't experienced before and do those first. :)

10. Beccaberry

And Disney is FULL of "roses" :)

I think there is fun in each "method of madness"...I do still love those days when we tour "commando style" from time to time...it gets the adrenaline pumping!

11. MystikPiglit

MystikPiglit Peace, Love and Mickey Mouse

I have to admit to still falling into that from time to time. :D

12. susanm

susanm Imagineer

the first 2 or 3 days i run like crazy... up early ..stay until they shut the lights out :rotfl:do all my favorite attractions....then after that i slow down...get a later start, leave the parks when i get tired...go to a resort i am not staying at or DTD for dinner...etc..just to sit down and relax.. last visit i loved having the free wi-fi in my room...used my nook to write emails and send pix home ....

13. Beccaberry

Hahaha! I have this visual of the CM's standing there in front of giant on/off light switch tapping their foot as you leisurely stroll out of the park :)

Great!

14. uscwest

uscwest Senior Cast Member

We are at the point, that unless we have grandchildren with us, we just do the parks at our leisure. We don't rush to do much of anything except maybe TSM and maybe Soarin'. We generally plan a relatively early dinner (6:00 - 7:30) outside of a park and we leave in time to go back and clean up a bit.